Egyptians complain over Netflix depiction of Cleopatra as black

4,730 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggieMD95
captkirk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

A Netflix docudrama series that depicts Queen Cleopatra VII as a black African has sparked controversy in Egypt.

A lawyer has filed a complaint that accuses African Queens: Queen Cleopatra of violating media laws and aiming to "erase the Egyptian identity".

A top archaeologist insisted Cleopatra was "light-skinned, not black".

But the producer said "her heritage is highly debated" and the actress playing her told critics: "If you don't like the casting, don't watch the show."

Adele James made the comment in a Twitter post featuring screengrabs of abusive comments that included racist slurs.

Cleopatra was born in the Egyptian city of Alexandria in 69 BC and became the last queen of a Greek-speaking dynasty founded by Alexander the Great's Macedonian general Ptolemy.

She succeeded her father Ptolemy XII in 51 BC and ruled until her death in 30 BC. Afterwards, Egypt fell under Roman domination.

The identity of Cleopatra's mother is not known, and historians say it is possible that she, or any other female ancestor, was an indigenous Egyptian or from elsewhere in Africa....

Jada Pinkett Smith, the American actress who was executive producer and narrator, was meanwhile quoted as saying: "We don't often get to see or hear stories about black queens, and that was really important for me, as well as for my daughter, and just for my community to be able to know those stories because there are tons of them!"

But when the trailer was released last week many Egyptians condemned the depiction of Cleopatra.

Zahi Hawass, a prominent Egyptologist and former antiquities minister, told the al-Masry al-Youm newspaper: "This is completely fake. Cleopatra was Greek, meaning that she was light-skinned, not black."

Mr Hawass said the only rulers of Egypt known to have been black were the Ku****e kings of the 25th Dynasty (747-656 BC).

"Netflix is trying to provoke confusion by spreading false and deceptive facts that the origin of the Egyptian civilisation is black," he added and called on Egyptians to take a stand against the streaming giant.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-65322821

annie88
AG
Interesting because Cleopatra was of Macedonian Greek origin and her family came to Egypt when Alexander the Great invaded.
Gigem314
AG
Queen of de-nial?
C@LAg
Woke-Kanda For-never?
Maroon Dawn
AG
Netflix be like: "Bro we cast Anne Boleyn, a pasty as pasty gets white woman as black and you think we'd blink at THIS?!"
Muktheduck
They're going to slowly learn that western whites are the only group willing to let them defile their heritage
Rapier108
The media already cast a black woman to play Anne Boleyn so they don't care about facts.

That said, there is a big movement to rewrite history to make all of Egyptians going back to the predynastic days into black Africans rather than being more Mediterranean looking. Goes along with the claims that the Moors discovered the Americas, and the Indians are really of Moorish descent rather than having entered the Americas from Siberia. It's what I've labeled as Wakandaism.

Yes, there was a time some pharaohs were of Nubian descent, but that was a very small portion of Egyptian history.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
annie88
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Netflix be like: "Bro we cast Anne Boleyn, a pasty as pasty gets white woman as black and you think we'd blink at THIS?!"

MGS
Aren't most modern Egyptians of Arab descent and not really related to the ancient Egyptians?
MouthBQ98
AG
DamnGood86
AG
IIIHorn
Gigem314 said:

Queen of de-nial?

Dammit!

Beat me to it.
BDUB95
Progressive white saviors are too ignorant to realize that not everyone from Africa is black.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
annie88 said:

Maroon Dawn said:

There is a video of a black lady laughing at a bunch of these types of reverse castings, I couldn't find it myself but if anyone knows where it is, I would greatly appreciate you linking if.
BenFiasco14
AG
Rapier108 said:

The media already cast a black woman to play Anne Boleyn so they don't care about facts.

That said, there is a big movement to rewrite history to make all of Egyptians going back to the predynastic days into black Africans rather than being more Mediterranean looking. Goes along with the claims that the Moors discovered the Americas, and the Indians are really of Moorish descent rather than having entered the Americas from Siberia. It's what I've labeled as Wakandaism.

Yes, there was a time some pharaohs were of Nubian descent, but that was a very small portion of Egyptian history.

These race baiters would love nothing more than a "Man in the High Castle" society except, the lies aren't about WWII, but simply rewrite history based on feelings, command a censored and unfree society to accept falsehoods as truth (for the US, let's say - you must accept George Washington was black or you're a racist"

And if you choose to refuse to enable their delusions, well….

CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Serotonin
AG
MGS said:

Aren't most modern Egyptians of Arab descent and not really related to the ancient Egyptians?
Yes, Europe and Asia Minor (modern day Turkey):

Quote:

Scientists who managed to obtain full genome sequences of Ancient Egyptians for the first time have concluded the people of the pharaohs were more closely related to modern Europeans and inhabitants of the Near East rather than present-day Egyptians.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/archaeology/ancient-egyptians-europeans-related-claims-a7763866.html
Serotonin
AG
LONDON (Reuters) - Up to 70 percent of British men and half of all Western European men are related to the Egyptian Pharaoh Tutankhamun, geneticists in Switzerland said.

The results showed that King Tut belonged to a genetic profile group, known as haplogroup R1b1a2, to which more than 50 percent of all men in Western Europe belong, indicating that they share a common ancestor.

https://www.reuters.com/article/oukoe-uk-britain-tutankhamun-dna/half-of-european-men-share-king-tuts-dna-idUKTRE7704OR20110801

doubledog
Quote:

The identity of Cleopatra's mother is not known, and historians say it is possible that she, or any other female ancestor, was an indigenous Egyptian or from elsewhere in Africa....

Wrong.. the Ptolemys married their siblings. Cleopatra's mother was her Greek (white) aunt.
Psycho Bunny
Reminds me of that time, my Egyptian friend was accused of not being African.
Robert L. Peters
Excuse me...what is a Nubian?
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
Ag87H2O
AG

Obligatory
BenFiasco14
AG
What point are you trying to make with this post?
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
CW Griswold
No Spin Ag
Gigem314 said:

Queen of de-nial?

POTD
jagvocate
AG
She wasntkangz
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

The results showed that King Tut
Obligatory.

aggiehawg
AG
Was a Welshman playing Marc Antony wrong?

CrackerJackAg
AG
doubledog said:

Quote:

Wrong.. the Ptolemys married their siblings. Cleopatra's mother was her Greek (white) aunt.

This is not really true. There is actually not much known about the mother. She was also the first to speak Egyptian. I can tell you with damn near a certainty, pretty much like every single historian, but she was not half black.

The only reason this gets any traction at all is because so little is actually known about her mother.

NE PA Ag
CrackerJackAg said:

doubledog said:

Quote:

This is not really true. There is actually not much known about the mother. She was also the first to speak Egyptian. I can tell you with damn near a certainty, pretty much like every single historian, but she was not half black.

The only reason this gets any traction at all is because so little is actually known about her mother.

Still, it's far more likely her mother was Greek because as another poster already mentioned, the Ptolemies intermarried.
Rapier108
The Green Dragon said:

Excuse me...what is a Nubian?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nubia
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Stat Monitor Repairman
For a while there I was beginning to think the tribes of Israel had Stockholm syndrome.
TheEternalPessimist
The should complain.

That's like portraying Frederick Douglas as Chinese.
--

"The Kingdom is for HE that can TAKE IT!" - Alexander
IndividualFreedom
Quote:

"Netflix is trying to provoke confusion by spreading false and deceptive facts that the origin of the Egyptian civilisation is black,"
Yes, Egypt, that is exactly what the woke democrat supporting corporation is doing. Welcome to the party. Now, tell your people to stop voting for them.
Nanomachines son
MGS said:

Ancient Egyptians are most closely related to modern Europeans than the Egyptians who live there now. In other words, they were even more white than they are now.
LMCane
annie88 said:

Interesting because Cleopatra was of Macedonian Greek origin and her family came to Egypt when Alexander the Great invaded.

exactly

she would have looked Meditteranean features and white

but never let historical reality get in the way of political points and diversity signalling!

because the Israelites in the year 44 AD living in Judea - as everyone knows were all black.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.