Memphis cops were hired after department relaxed job requirements

4,049 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by fka ftc
2012heisman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://nypost.com/2023/01/28/memphis-cops-in-tyre-nichols-murder-hired-after-pd-relaxed-job-standards/
aggie93
AG
I just can't imagine why this didn't work, we were told this was the solution since white cops are so much more violent than black cops.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
MemphisAg1
AG
Opening paragraph says two of five. Do better with thread titles and OP. Don't mislead.
Quote:

At least two out of of five Memphis police officers charged with murder in the fatal beatdown of Tyre Nichols joined the force after the department relaxed its hiring requirements.
TyHolden
AG
this will be ignored and denied by MSM....
Sea Speed
AG
Daily reminder that OP is AI
Dan Scott
AG
They removed the minimum education requirements. Is that even necessary? 2 years at a junior college doesn't seem like somebody that makes a good cop.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I'd heard yesterday that a sizeable chunk of this special task force were fairly new hires. The story did not mention the lower standards.

What they were focused on was the recipe for disaster of bringing very new, very green officers into a group with already questionable (at best) methods and history.
Franklin Comes Alive!
So essentially 5 affirmative action black hires killed a black man in an act of white supremacy….

Did I get that right, libs?
fixer
Another leftist narrative hitting the garbage disposal.

Pro tip: selecting for competence sustains valuable institutions.
torrid
AG
nm
Maroon Dawn
AG
Quote:

"More diversity, less brutality"

agrams
AG
article doesn't state if the officers hired under the lowered standards would have met the old requirments...

it DOES state that they have a path for convicted felons to be hired (though no statement if there are limitations on roles they can have).

I hate modern day journalism.
Romello
Since the defund the cops movement I would prefer not to be around any of the new police.
I have a feeling we are in for more of this in the future…by design.
JohnLA762
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

Opening paragraph says two of five. Do better with thread titles and OP. Don't mislead.
Quote:

At least two out of of five Memphis police officers charged with murder in the fatal beatdown of Tyre Nichols joined the force after the department relaxed its hiring requirements.

Technically, it's says AT LEAST two. Not splitting hairs or anything…

ABATTBQ11
AG
Franklin Comes Alive! said:

So essentially 5 affirmative action black hires killed a black man in an act of white supremacy….

Did I get that right, libs?

No. You didn't.

3 were hired years prior to 2020.

Of the two hired in 2020, Bean had just graduated with a BS in criminal justice and interned with the Ole Miss campus PD. He would be considered well qualified by any department, and many would likely give him an automatic pay increase or signing bonus because of his degree. Haley was a former corrections officer, and would have been considered well qualified. To be fair though, he should never have been hired due to an excessive force complaint filed against him by a prisoner, but many here would consider that just a worthless criminal complaining and good corrections work.
Yesterday
AG
Journalism is terrible!
TefIon Don
AG
Tyre Nichols' death can 100% be laid at the feet of the "Defund the police" movement. A lot of the good cops ended up leaving the force, and then you have lower standards across the board leading to incapable and morally inferior replacements.
MemphisAg1
aggiedata
AG
dreyOO
Almost as if by design. There are critical jobs out there where people are simply saying "F it" and walking away. The result is ****tier policing, nursing, teaching, etc.

A lib utopia.
captkirk
AG
Sea Speed said:

I believe artificial. Intelligence? Not so fast
Jeeper79
AG
agrams said:

article doesn't state if the officers hired under the lowered standards would have met the old requirments...

it DOES state that they have a path for convicted felons to be hired (though no statement if there are limitations on roles they can have).

I hate modern day journalism.

The article shows you exactly what they wanted you to see.
jwoodmd
Sea Speed said:

Daily reminder Sea Speed is Silian Rail
AGHouston11
AG
The left literally screws up everything they woke reimagine!

The create S-Hole cities and are good at that
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
aggiedata said:

Wow. That would be...something.
Dan Scott
AG
Probably undercover gang infiltrators and worked themselves into a shoot.

But that makes no sense, if you're out to beat somebody, why would you call for backup and try to arrest somebody. A gang would beat the dude up and leave him.
Sea Speed
AG
jwoodmd said:

Sea Speed said:

Daily reminder Sea Speed is Silian Rail

Ha no. My watch collection isn't nearly as impressive.
Dan Scott
AG
Great movie

TAMU1990
AG
dreyOO said:

Almost as if by design. There are critical jobs out there where people are simply saying "F it" and walking away. The result is ****tier policing, nursing, teaching, etc.

A lib utopia.
Correct. Defund the police has consequences. Teaching LGBTQ instead of Math/English/Science has consequences. Lowering the qualifications for professional schools will have consequences. Lowering the standards to be a pilot will have consequences. Only the serfs will have these teachers, doctors, nurses, pilots while the ruling class with have the qualified ones.
AggieVictor10
AG
Sea Speed said:

OP GPT
Less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real.
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Kenneth_2003
AG
Dan Scott said:

Probably undercover gang infiltrators and worked themselves into a shoot.

But that makes no sense, if you're out to beat somebody, why would you call for backup and try to arrest somebody. A gang would beat the dude up and leave him.
UC's wouldn't be on a beat assignment.
TxTarpon
Yep
Defund the police.
Lower standards.
Get less quality police.

Then listen to Crump and Co whine about police needing "more training".
How do they have training funds when activists ensured they were defunded?
fka ftc
Imagine the crime statistics in blue cities if they had adequate policing, normal laws, a non-Soros DA, and honest in their media and in local leadership.

These are the stats after all those things are factored in. But yeah, let's believe the "red states are the problem, not blue".
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
AirborneAg04
No, you didn't- not quite. I looked up all five bios. Two were hired in 2020 it seems, perhaps a result of the hiring standards change. One of those two was previously a corrections officer with some disciplinary issues in his file.

The other three joined in the teens, before the 2020 stuff. If there's a common denominator, it's probably inexperience and poor culture. If we're looking for something to blame as a proximate cause without getting partisan, we should look at this SCORPION unit and ask why such inexperienced cops were on an "elite" "crime-busting" squad. It has since been disbanded along with charging the cops responsible for this.

Maybe, just maybe, race politics doesn't have much to do with this one in either direction. That tweet is making the rounds and no one is taking five minutes to check it before getting bent out of shape. Like most misinformation, it's designed to get you mad with something partially true.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.