JBP on Rogan

6,177 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Not Coach Jimbo
Stat Monitor Repairman
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Anybody listen to this yet?
Actual Talking Thermos
No, have you?
Stat Monitor Repairman
No
Sea Speed
AG
Saw this on Spotify today but I was finishing up the episode about the youtibe food show dude who eats all the crazy stuff overseas.

Good talk.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Seems like Peterson has gotten healthy and been going on a tear lately.

That's just the sense that I get.
Actual Talking Thermos
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Not just one, lots and lots of tears

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Actual Talking Thermos said:

Not just one, lots and lots of tears

A drop in the ocean compared to his haters.
MRB10
AG
I really wish he had the ability to speak, and explain his ideas, with language that can be understood by the average person with a bachelors degree.
m-walker
AG
Definitely requires active listening. You try to passively listen and all you will hear are words, no meaning.
Dimebag Darrell
Pepper Brooks said:

I really wish he had the ability to speak, and explain his ideas, with language that can be understood by the average person with a bachelors degree.

Same. Wish he had more of a Desantis communication style and delivery. Would catch on with even more people.
et98
AG
The overuse of acronyms and abrveiations has gotten out of hand on the polics board. If you had said "Jordan Peterson" instead of JDP, you'd get 5 to 10 as many hits on your post. It takes about 2 seconds to type out the extra lettes but gets you way more bang for you buck.

Plus, ain't nobody watching a 3-hours video of a Joe Rogan podcast posted to Texags that isn't already a big enough fan of Joe Rogan to have already heard it. And on top of that, you didn't even post a link. You posted a pic, whcih does nothing for anyobody.

You should be ashamed, and I subract 20 internet points.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

Plus, ain't nobody watching a 3-hours video of a Joe Rogan podcast posted to Texags that isn't already a big enough fan of Joe Rogan to have already heard it. And on top of that, you didn't even post a link.
Are you a woman non-man?
Stat Monitor Repairman
In any event,

Rogan has got a good thing going now with his recurring guests. I bet that retains and gets him more new listeners than any other show.

Getting on the Rogan show is the equivalent of getting on MTV in its heyday. One good video or appearance on MTV could make or break you. Rogan has become the kingmaker. 2023 and the most powerful man in media is Joe Rogan.

What a time to be alive!
MondayMorningQB
AG
et98 said:

The overuse of acronyms and abrveiations has gotten out of hand on the polics board. If you had said "Jordan Peterson" instead of JDP, you'd get 5 to 10 as many hits on your post. It takes about 2 seconds to type out the extra lettes but gets you way more bang for you buck.

Plus, ain't nobody watching a 3-hours video of a Joe Rogan podcast posted to Texags that isn't already a big enough fan of Joe Rogan to have already heard it. And on top of that, you didn't even post a link. You posted a pic, whcih does nothing for anyobody.

You should be ashamed, and I subract 20 internet points.

I'd like to buy an 'r'
DamnGood86
AG
et98 said:

The overuse of acronyms and abrveiations has gotten out of hand on the polics board.....

Amen. I can't stand this. I often have no idea the reference.

Example: DTBY?
Another example: I am impressed with BTD.

Edit to add (ETA):
DTBY = Does this bother you?
BTD = Buffalo Trace Distillery

but y'all already knew that.
BG Knocc Out

In any event,

Rogan has got a good thing going now with his recurring guests. I bet that retains and gets him more new listeners than any other show.

Getting on the Rogan show is the equivalent of getting on MTV in its heyday. One good video or appearance on MTV could make or break you. Rogan has become the kingmaker. 2023 and the most powerful man in media is Joe Rogan.

What a time to be alive!

It's pretty crazy isn't it? I think a sh**load of young men are listening to these guys.
Logos Stick

Quote:

Plus, ain't nobody watching a 3-hours video of a Joe Rogan podcast posted to Texags that isn't already a big enough fan of Joe Rogan to have already heard it. And on top of that, you didn't even post a link.
Are you a woman?

Define woman.
JFABNRGR
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

I am a few months in, listening to every lecture/podcast on his spotify channel from the beginning. It definitely requires active listening.

I run it on 1.2 speed which makes it more difficult, i miss some ideas but he is often repetitive with a lot of it and getting to hear it 2-3x has been helpful in understanding the concepts.

I clearly am not as smart as I once thought I was, but I am working to be better.
Tanya 93

Quote:

Are you a woman?
A woman would be able to listen while doing her womanly duty of cooking for the men in her life.

Now, I don't actually know how to get to a podcast, but if I did, I would listen.
D-Fens
Stat Monitor Repairman
Adverse Event
EAD
Stat Monitor Repairman
JBP back on Rogan.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
all i have to say is

TGIF. everyone knows that one. have a great weekend.
Not Coach Jimbo
Pepper Brooks said:

My first thought is... how are they not "understood" by someone with a bachelor's degree?

I could see having to slow things down or rewind when a complex thought came up... but they are still understandable, right? So is it not relatable? Or a patience problem? Or comprehensive?

Not intending this as rude, just generally curious. I listened to JBP a ton back in ~2018. Changed my life for the better. I always chocked it up to someone will listen to him when they're in a place to need that wisdom.
Not Coach Jimbo
JFABNRGR said:

Pepper Brooks said:

I am a few months in, listening to every lecture/podcast on his spotify channel from the beginning. It definitely requires active listening.

I run it on 1.2 speed which makes it more difficult, i miss some ideas but he is often repetitive with a lot of it and getting to hear it 2-3x has been helpful in understanding the concepts.

I clearly am not as smart as I once thought I was, but I am working to be better.

I envy you. I wish I could go back and relive that discovery phase of my life again.

Tips if you'd like them:
Don't be in a hurry to consume it, even though some of it's repeated, often times there are small changes that offered me profound connections to things I'd not considered previously.

Parts of the Disney lectures are really good... was not expecting it, didn't even want to listen to them, but was very surprised.

I can listen to JBP talk about Gulag Archipelago a lot, but it turns out the book itself is great at making me fall asleep.
Mose Schrute
AG
Not Coach Jimbo said:

Pepper Brooks said:

My first thought is... how are they not "understood" by someone with a bachelor's degree?

I could see having to slow things down or rewind when a complex thought came up... but they are still understandable, right? So is it not relatable? Or a patience problem? Or comprehensive?

Not intending this as rude, just generally curious. I listened to JBP a ton back in ~2018. Changed my life for the better. I always chocked it up to someone will listen to him when they're in a place to need that wisdom.

The more you listen, the easier he becomes to follow. Keep at it
William K. Klingaman
I've found the best way for me to actually pay attention to Rogan's show is on a long walk.
Captain Winky
This guy is insane
Sq1dvm
AG
Brief summary: First half was about "Wrestling with God" his new book coming soon about the meaning of Old Testament stories. The second half was about his new online academy. The most interesting thing to me was a throwaway line at the end; apparently he sat in on a Kill Tony that is dropping soon. That has potential.
AggieMD95
AG

Anybody listen to this yet?

Yep. It was money in the bank.

Announced launch of the Peterson Academy.
Apache
AG
Quote:

I think most people in his field (Psychologists & other social scientists) default to the most complicated language & explanation when a simple one would work just fine. I believe many in this field use complex vocabulary & "word salad" to create a smokescreen for bad ideas.

JP doesn't have bad ideas though.... it's kind of a shame that the ones who really need his insight would be some of the first to tune out because of his complex & sometimes convoluted delivery.
Stat Monitor Repairman
The simplicity of JBP's ideas exposes a lot of theologians.

Your local preacher with a Phd from bible college stammers for an hour to explain an idea that JBP can articulate brilliantly in 2-minutes.

Half the time when listening to him i'm thinking to myself, 'why the **** am I just now learning this?'

Where was this explanation decades ago and why didn't they just explain it like that to begin with?

JBP exposes theologians and clergy for filling time and just trying to sound smart enough to fill a 30 min sermon.

JBP's explanations resonate. And this coming from someone thats listened to 1% of what he has to say.
Not Coach Jimbo
Apache said:

Quote:

I think most people in his field (Psychologists & other social scientists) default to the most complicated language & explanation when a simple one would work just fine. I believe many in this field use complex vocabulary & "word salad" to create a smokescreen for bad ideas.

JP doesn't have bad ideas though.... it's kind of a shame that the ones who really need his insight would be some of the first to tune out because of his complex & sometimes convoluted delivery.

I dont see his words that way

His words choices are complex, yes, but he packs a ton of meaning in a very short and concise package. That's what makes them challenging (for me).

This is especially apparent when he pauses in a conversation and formulates his thoughts... the next sentence or two is usually very concise and powerful.

I think it just requires a lot of focus to really listen to him and learn from him (at least his lectures). People aren't used to the low fluff communication.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.