Seattle couple builds house in freeway on-ramp median

3,303 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by doubledog
frenchtoast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
More hilarity from my former hometown.

https://komonews.com/news/local/seattle-couple-explains-why-theyre-building-a-home-in-the-median-of-i-5-on-ramp-homeless-bruce-harrell-south-lake-union-downtown

Quote:

SEATTLE (KOMO) Drivers who enter I-5 at Seattle's Mercer Street on-ramp pass by a growing encampment for the unhoused that is obscured behind trees and repurposed "welcome to South Lake Union" banners.

Inside the camp, Kandice and Mark, who asked to be identified only by their first names, are busy building their home. Mark said it's taken him about a month to build the tiny house, which includes an A-framed roof, foundation, window, and door.

The house is going up in the same encampment where KOMO reported last week about a series of fires, threats with weapons, and damage to the Seattle City and Light power infrastructure.
Little Rock Ag
AG
So what happens when the government starts levying property taxes on that bad boy?
Tom Doniphon
Since those squatters are building on government property, any tax levies would be against themselves.
Dimebag Darrell
Even before sh** went completely sideways, I have never understood how anyone could live in Seattle permanently. What a cold, wet, nasty, dreery place. A coworker of mine (not a conservative) says he gets super depressed there for long periods of time.

Would have been cool to visit maybe, but I could never in a million years live there...and that is even if it was an amazing city without all of the hyper left trash people dominating the place.
Anastasia Beaverhaven
I'll drive by this today to chuckle. I'm almost outta here.
frenchtoast
I was there for ten years, and the winters got harder and harder to endure. There are still lots of things I like about the City and I enjoy going back to visit.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
so what happens when they leave to do whatever they do during the day, and another squatter takes up residence.
Anastasia Beaverhaven
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

so what happens when they leave to do whatever they do during the day, and another squatter takes up residence.
That's what makes this whole situation fun. It's chaos. What's sad is the new Mayor, Bruce Harell, is better than that former loon. The city was actually getting better (couldn't get worse) when he started but has begun to regress. The council and state legislatures aren't doing anyone a favor.

You live in Seattle for the surrounding area in the spring/ summer/ fall. Absolute best topography of any area in this country but liberals have ruined it.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Heard they have trouble storing their homeless OD bodies while they go through whatever paperwork they have to do. About a 1000 in 2022 and already up to 80 or so.

We were there 4-5 years ago and spent one night in town before we got out to see all the surrounding area and that was enough. Beautiful place but completely worthless in town.

ETA

King County has already experienced over one fatal fentanyl overdose death a day for the month of January, with 31 deaths as of Jan. 22, 2023. Last year, the county recorded 1,019 fatal overdoses, with fentanyl responsible for the majority of deaths at 686. It's the highest number of overdose deaths the county has ever recorded.

https://mynorthwest.com/3788318/rantz-seattle-running-out-of-dead-body-storage-due-to-fentanyl-ods/

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
FarmerJohn
AG
Seems like a nice, safe space to build a home.

Urban Ag
AG
Brittmoore Car Club said:

Even before sh** went completely sideways, I have never understood how anyone could live in Seattle permanently. What a cold, wet, nasty, dreery place. A coworker of mine (not a conservative) says he gets super depressed there for long periods of time.

Would have been cool to visit maybe, but I could never in a million years live there...and that is even if it was an amazing city without all of the hyper left trash people dominating the place.
My parents are from south Texas but dad got a great job opportunity based in Seattle in the late 60's when he got out of the Army. As such, me and my brothers grew up in the PNW and Alaska. Specifically, on the Kitsap Peninsula across Puget Sound from Seattle. This was late 70's to early 90's (for me anyway) when I then moved to Texas to go to A&M. And..........I did and then found out was a Latina was and never looked back.

Anyway, it was an awesome place to grow up. Very similar to southern CA in the diversity of topography and scenery but just a bit colder and rainier. We had the ocean, the islands, lakes, bays, and two mountain ranges. I grew up semi rural on a small cattle ranch with 100'+ pines everywhere and a view of the Sound and Mt Rainier. It's a huge military area and honestly was very patriotic back then. Even the hippies were mostly respectful in that way. In short, it was a great, fun, place to grow up.

Then it literally went to ***** The crazies were mostly isolated to downtown but now they've consumed most of western WA. Seattle is literally run by communists. Shame.
Little Rock Ag
AG
Anastasia Beaverhaven said:

Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

That's what makes this whole situation fun. It's chaos. What's sad is the new Mayor, Bruce Harell, is better than that former loon. The city was actually getting better (couldn't get worse) when he started but has begun to regress. The council and state legislatures aren't doing anyone a favor.

You live in Seattle for the surrounding area in the spring/ summer/ fall. Absolute best topography of any area in this country but liberals have ruined it.

I've got in-laws that own a home in Anacortes. People there seem a little more normal and it's absolutely beautiful though cost of living is high.
boulderaggie
AG
I hope they pulled permits. If not, will be a nightmare to sell one day.
HTownAg98
I'm interested to see how they'll get their certificate of occupancy.
justcallmeharry
S
There goes the neighborhood. Nope.
If you think I am a liberal, you are incorrect. Assume sarcasm on my part. Sorry if something I post has already been posted.
not hedge
I have family up there so I've been there about 5 times. It's a cool city, I like that I could take the transit rail from the suburbs to century link and catch a Seahawks game, then get back on and go downtown to get some food. That being said it's way too expensive and seems very elitist. Not my cup of tea
Tramp96
House built in median is gonna go....

Buck Turgidson
Go in with flame throwers.
doubledog
I hate to see what their HOA is like
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.