Biden FTC looks to end non-competition agreements

5,201 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Panama Red
Panama Red
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

The Federal Trade Commission proposed a new rule Thursday to ban the use of noncompete clauses in worker contracts, a change that would significantly boost the negotiating power of employees.

The proposal is based on the FTC's finding that noncompete clauses violate its fair trade laws, with the agency calling them a "widespread and often exploitative practice that suppresses wages, hampers innovation and blocks entrepreneurs from starting new businesses."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna64445

No way this holds up.
Help_needed
Nobody is forcing the employee to sign a non compete clause. It's their choice. Why would that be outlawed? Do people not believe in choice?
JW
AG
some industries do force if you want to work in that industry.
Help_needed
JW said:

It's a choice to work in that industry.
Aggie Jurist
AG
Freedom of contract - not something this administration gives one F*** about.
LGB
Tom Doniphon
My favorite millennial will be along to lap this nonsense up shortly.
MouthBQ98
AG
Aren't those effectively voluntary contracts between workers and employers? Why should they not hold up in civil court?
Panama Red
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Aren't those effectively voluntary contracts between workers and employers? Why should they not hold up in civil court?

Well, they wouldn't ever hold up in civil court, if they are banned by the FTC, so I'm not sure I follow your question here.
Agfencer98
AG
I don't mind non-competes normally, but I do when it was not mentioned during any pre-employment conversations.

My current position has a non-compete that I was informed of, and made to sign, several months after I started. That type of act is predatory and if there isn't already outlawed, should be. It also should have been a red flag for me, but I ignored it.

Lesson kiddos, always pay attention to the red flags.

AF98
TheEternalPessimist
I think there should be arbitration for SOME people to be able to get out of non-competes.

If you are involuntarily laid off and you were not a disciplinary issue at your previous employer, you should be released from non-compete clause.

However... why is this a federal issue at all except on Federal Territories and Districts? Isn't this an issue that should reside within the states perview?

TheEternalPessimist
Agfencer98 said:

I don't mind non-competes normally, but I do when it was not mentioned during any pre-employment conversations.

My current position has a non-compete that I was informed of, and made to sign, several months after I started. That type of act is predatory and if there isn't already outlawed, should be. It also should have been a red flag for me, but I ignored it.

AF98
My software company was acquired 7 years ago by big giant german accounting software company. To continue my employment, I had to sign an updated non-compete agreement.
Goose06
AG
This would harm many workers who have non competes. For example, if I sign a non compete because I am a critical employee of a private company and lets say I have meaningful equity upside in that company. When its time to sell the company, the buyer of the company would no longer have any guarantee that the critical employees will stay with the new owner for a transition period. Therefore, they may pay less to purchase the company and the employees who have equity upside get a smaller pay day because of this uncertainty. Non competes can be beneficial to both the employee and the employer in these types of cases.
milosh
Help_needed said:

Nobody is forcing the employee to sign a non compete clause. It's their choice. Why would that be outlawed? Do people not believe in choice?

I felt the same way until I found out doctors have to deal with this. A practice shouldn't be able to own a doctor after I (Medicare) pay for their residency.
Help_needed
Doctor didn't have to choose to work at that practice. Everything is choices and consequences.

Your example reminds me of the poster who got a worthless degree, worked in a field that didn't provide health insurance and then cried that he should be able to continue to work where he wants and how dare us tell him to find another field.
Goose06
AG
milosh said:

Help_needed said:

I felt the same way until I found out doctors have to deal with this. A practice shouldn't be able to own a doctor after I (Medicare) pay for their residency.

Is there not a geographic area restriction that you could leave? For example, the non compete covers a 3 county area or a 50 mile radius around the office?
Aggie95
AG
Seems to favor Right to work states that generally vote more red.
The Michigan based company I work for requires us to sign them.
cajunaggie08
AG
Help_needed said:

I was forced to sign one. My employer was bought by a larger company that gave us 5-days to sign it or be forcibly terminated. Seeing how I had a 1-year old and a wife that just became a stay-at-home parent, i didn't really feel I had the choice to say no and go hit the open job market during a period where layoffs were happening all over my industry. I later lost out on job opportunities from other companies in my industry as my employer is essentially a competitor to everyone in the industry and they didn't want to deal with the risk of a lawsuit.
twk
AG
Noncompetition agreements in Texas have gone from virtually unenforceable in the '90s, to enforceable as long as they complied with statutory requirements in the '00s, to a point, now, where they are enforced even if they don't comply with the law. But, the last thing we need is the feds jumping in on this subject. If they try to, it won't take too long for the Supreme Court to slap it down as there is absolutely no Act of Congress legislating on the subject. Just another bureaucratic power grab.
Help_needed
From your post

" I had the choice to say no and go hit the open job market during a period where layoffs were happening all over my industry. "

So you had a choice.
cajunaggie08
AG
Help_needed said:

From your post

" I had the choice to say no and go hit the open job market during a period where layoffs were happening all over my industry. "

So you had a choice.
technically yes, but I don't know if you would call that a true choice. My cousin who works in employment law said that since I wasn't given additional compensation in return for signing it, the non-compete wouldnt hold up in court. However, I would have needed potential new employers be willing to risk going to court to fight it and I suppose I wasn't worth it to them.
deddog
AG
JW said:

And for good reason.
Irish 2.0
I am fine with non-competes as long as it is done prior to employment. Not hire you and then threaten to fire you if you don't sign one as they spring it on you after you've quit your other job. Not make you sign a new one if your company is bought. There should be protections to prevent corporations from strong arming people after the fact.
whytho987654
This is actually a great thing. Non-competes just trap people at companies. This is a major issue in medicine. As medicine becomes more corporatized and more docs are employed the giant healthcare systems and private equity firms essentially collude and compete with one another for more invasive non-competes to trap doctors. I don't know why people are against this, is non-capitalistic to enforce non competes
whytho987654
Goose06 said:

milosh said:

Help_needed said:

Is there not a geographic area restriction that you could leave? For example, the non compete covers a 3 county area or a 50 mile radius around the office?
That's typically how it works in medicine, and we wonder why healthcare is the way it is now. We have MBAs telling MDs what they can and cannot do lol
lb3
AG
Agfencer98 said:

AF98
I would never abide by a non-compete that didn't include a severance to cover lost wages while the non-compete was active.

Sue me and I'll take my chances finding a sympathetic jury.
whytho987654
Goose06 said:

This would harm many workers who have non competes. For example, if I sign a non compete because I am a critical employee of a private company and lets say I have meaningful equity upside in that company. When its time to sell the company, the buyer of the company would no longer have any guarantee that the critical employees will stay with the new owner for a transition period. Therefore, they may pay less to purchase the company and the employees who have equity upside get a smaller pay day because of this uncertainty. Non competes can be beneficial to both the employee and the employer in these types of cases.
If a company gets bought and employees want out they should be able to do so with no repercussions.
whytho987654
Help_needed said:

JW said:

It's a choice to work in that industry.
Many people (myself included) pursue medicine and 10 years of post-grad training only to have your only employment options be PE firms and giant healthcare corps wanting to hire you and each has a non-compete of 3 years. With 250k+ of med school loans new docs are essentially trapped, and these firms and giant hospitals now use docs to overcharge patients while at the same time under pay docs as they have zero negotiating power
twk
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

I am fine with non-competes as long as it is done prior to employment. Not hire you and then threaten to fire you if you don't sign one as they spring it on you after you've quit your other job. Not make you sign a new one if your company is bought. There should be protections to prevent corporations from strong arming people after the fact.
They are supposed to provide you with consideration when signed, and continued employment is not, as a matter of law, sufficient consideration to enforce such an agreement. However, the Texas courts have bent over backwards to find other consideration to support such agreements, even when the agreements themselves state that the consideration is continued employment and not specialized training or access to (new) confidential information.
Goose06
AG
whytho987654 said:

Goose06 said:

If a company gets bought and employees want out they should be able to do so with no repercussions.
If you feel that way, then I guess watch your equity be worth less as the employee. I am not saying all cases for non competes favor employees, but I am currently under a non compete and I view it as valuable to my equity (because other key employees at my company who have equity are also under the same non compete).
Goose06
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

In Texas there is no way its enforceable if done the way you describe. You have to receive consideration for signing it (and $10 don't count) and there have to be reasonable limitations on it (geographic, types of business/services it restricts you from doing, etc).
Irish 2.0
In Texas. But this isn't just a Texas matter
agracer
AG
Most non-compete clauses I've encountered are pretty neutered around not stealing clients, copyright items, processes for work, etc. and taking it to a new company. It does not prevent people from switching jobs, it just prevents them from stealing from their current employer.
Ags4DaWin
Help_needed said:

Doctor didn't have to choose to work at that practice. Everything is choices and consequences.

Your example reminds me of the poster who got a worthless degree, worked in a field that didn't provide health insurance and then cried that he should be able to continue to work where he wants and how dare us tell him to find another field.

Except that the industry has pretty much conspired to make them standard and you cannot find an employment contract without one.

It's just another example of how grossly hospitals have corporatized Healthcare.
Ags4DaWin
Goose06 said:

whytho987654 said:

Goose06 said:

If you feel that way, then I guess watch your equity be worth less as the employee. I am not saying all cases for non competes favor employees, but I am currently under a non compete and I view it as valuable to my equity (because other key employees at my company who have equity are also under the same non compete).

Why should a company be able to restrict an employee's services outside of poaching clients? You claim that the contract is voluntary but when an industry conspires to force all employees to do so it's basically the same enforced duress that a company puts on consumers when they have a monopoly.

The best thing to do would be for the seller and buyer to work out an employee retention bonus after the sale

Identify critical employees and offer them retention bonuses to stay on for X amount of time after the sale. Split the cost between buyer and seller.

Other than poaching clients and selling business secrets, non-compete clauses are not necessary to protect a company, hurt an employee's ability to negotiate for raises, promotions, etc, and should be illegal.
whytho987654
Goose06 said:

whytho987654 said:

Goose06 said:

On the flip side if you have no equity in a company as an employee, a non compete is nothing short of a restriction
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.