Question for active duty folks on Texags

2,669 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Teslag
Clob94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And I suppose those of you that are recently retired too....

If the US were to enter into armed conflict tomorrow, do you think the current administration and DOD would require troops to wear masks into combat?

I know that sounds like a clown question-- but it's not. We are living in a clown world right now. Would masks in combat be on the table?
sbs
AG
Probably. That's why I am happy I retired a few years ago.
Womackster
AG
I want to laugh at your question for being ridiculous.

But I can't.
Mayor West
AG
Clob94
Mayor West said:

Is that a CBRN Mopp?
Womackster
AG
Clob94 said:

Mayor West said:

Is that a CBRN Mopp?

Probably just being punished for letting the door hit the stops.
UTExan
Better question: is a service member non-deployable because they haven't completed diversity training?
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Gaw617
A sad state we find ourselves when an obviously ridiculous question is asked and we simply don't know the answer anymore.
Teslag
AG
I spent most of last year in a combat zone during the height of covid. Masks were only required in dfac lines, when working in close proximity or others, or when in a vehicle together.

Had an E9 pull one of my soldiers from a vehicle and rip him a new ***hole for not being masked. They took it seriously.
Teslag
AG
UTExan said:

Better question: is a service member non-deployable because they haven't completed diversity training?

Non-deployable no. However, it is part of yearly training and would be done at the pre-mob site prior to wheels up.
Slyfox07
AG
Clob94 said:

If the US were to enter into armed conflict tomorrow, do you think the current administration and DOD would require troops to wear masks into combat?

I know that sounds like a clown question-- but it's not. We are living in a clown world right now. Would masks in combat be on the table?

No.

We aren't even wearing masks in our offices these days.

Just requiring them in the gym and the med clinic, so I avoid both places.
AGHouston11
AG
FJB
black_ice
AGHouston11 said:

FJB

Yes
Old McDonald
when leftists say modern conservatism is mostly just making up scenarios and getting mad at them, this is what they're talking about
APHIS AG
Clob94 said:

The military has always been very careful about the potential spread of disease within its ranks and how it will affect combat effectiveness. In everyone of our wars up to WW II, their were more deaths due to disease than actual combat casualties.

When I was in Honduras, every Soldier was required to take anti Malarial prophylaxis. If you chose not to and you came down with Malaria, automatic nonjudicial punishment.

So if the military mandates masks, they will be worn.
GAC06
AG
No one should take E9's seriously
zoneag
GAC06 said:

m
Agreed. Everyone knows that common sense stops at E8
agdaddy04
AG
There's a difference between anti malarial prophylaxis and wearing a mask to prevent a virus transmission. Hopefully it doesn't take long to figure that out.
APHIS AG
agdaddy04 said:

There's a difference between anti malarial prophylaxis and wearing a mask to prevent a virus transmission. Hopefully it doesn't take long to figure that out.
One must understand the military mindset, even if they are absurd for I have been ordered to do things I know were meaningless.
jeremy
AG
Salute The Marines said:

I spent most of last year in a combat zone during the height of covid. Masks were only required in dfac lines, when working in close proximity or others, or when in a vehicle together.

Had an E9 pull one of my soldiers from a vehicle and rip him a new ***hole for not being masked. They took it seriously.

I assumed you were a Marine. But this phrasing makes me unsure.
Eliminatus
AG
jeremy said:

Salute The Marines said:

Definitely not. No Marine ever, current or past, would ever label their men as soldiers.

Fighting words, those are.
Owlagdad
zoneag said:

GAC06 said:

m

I see some things don't change.
Teslag
AG
jeremy said:

Salute The Marines said:

Army. Username is reference to a dip**** Brandon quote
Teslag
AG
GAC06 said:

Well he did have a jackass O5 from the 82nd with him.
padreislandagfan
Mayor West said:

MOPP 4 !!!
medwriter
zoneag said:

GAC06 said:

m
LOL.. E9s are generally some badass mofos. I don't know, things may have changed since I was in, but E8s were generally in some kind of administrative role while E9s (Sergeant Major) were battalion level and in a command structure. E9s are outranked by even the most junior officer (butter bar Lt.), but I've never seen anyone beneath the role of Major try and dick with a Sergeant Major. They might find themselves in hot water somehow because E9s have usually been in the service for quite a while and are a battalion commander's right hand go-to for a majority of troops, the enlisted.
medwriter
padreislandagfan said:

Mayor West said:

MOPP 4 !!!
I hated that whole getup when I was in. Do they still come with a large amount of charcoal within the garment? I remember getting out of one after a day of wearing the MOPP gear and peeling it off my skin when taking it off because I had sweated so much it had activated the charcoal lining. I looked like a prune, all over. And a black prune, with the charcoal being released.
K2-HMFIC
In a Taiwan fight I doubt anyone would care.

And diversity training does not effect deployability.
AggDogg61
Because of current administration, we lose any armed conflict that we enter.
Get Off My Lawn
Salute The Marines said:

When I think combat zone, I don't typically think E9's & DFACs. I get that I would've appreciated the nursing staff on a FOB if I had required personal use thereof, but equivocating that to actual combat is a significant leap.
JABQ04
AG
I'm going to guess you've been out awhile. Most E9s I served under were just administrative tools as well. I'm sure there are plenty of good ones but of the couple dozen I served under at BN and BDE level mostly they were concerned with NCOERs, uniform standards, and area beautification. And not appearing on US Army WTF moments Facebook page.
Teslag
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

Salute The Marines said:

When I think combat zone, I don't typically think E9's & DFACs. I get that I would've appreciated the nursing staff on a FOB if I had required personal use thereof, but equivocating that to actual combat is a significant leap.

Well this dfac was pretty much one in name only. Just a gaggle of tents and a few hard sided areas where they cooked/reheated. Was a JSOC/SOJTF facility for OIR.
Teslag
AG
JABQ04 said:

I'm going to guess you've been out awhile. Most E9s I served under were just administrative tools as well. I'm sure there are plenty of good ones but of the couple dozen I served under at BN and BDE level mostly they were concerned with NCOERs, uniform standards, and area beautification. And not appearing on US Army WTF moments Facebook page.

My experience as well. However, this one was the CSM for a BCT with the 82nd. Height of covid and it was the priority. I felt kinda bed for them. They spent all that time training for an actual deployment, trained and trained at Bragg, and then they show up just to play covid police.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.