Duckduckgo active discrimination against whites in hiring

12,194 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by lb3
BAP Enthusiast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://lulz.com/community/thread/social-experiment-duckduckgo-hiring-racial-discrimination/

Quote:

I've been working as a mobile developer for 12 years. I'm a straight white male who knows what I am doing in my occupation. But lately I'm struggling to find another place to work.

I applied for a job at DuckDuckGo, and got told to go **** myself right away. So I reapplied as a black lesbian 5 years of experience who can't program or spell. They are moving me to the 2nd round of interviews.

What do we do in an industry that ****s straight white men over so relentlessly? Do I just become a NEET? Feeling down and super blackpilled atm. **** this gay clown world where nothing makes any sense.

Despite this being illegal, it's becoming the norm for corporations. My kids are going to be completely screwed by this when they get older but I'm not sure at all how to help them.

Tech is easily the worst about these things but I know it is spreading to other industries as well.
fixer
lol
Bunk Moreland
so we're now going to community forums on something called 'lulz' dot com and believing random anonymous anecdotes as verified fact because it fits a preconceived narrative?
Rapier108
I need more proof than just this before I believe it happened.

It simply sounds too perfect.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
coconutED
AG

Twitter has censored the story, so its probably true.
BAP Enthusiast
Bunk Moreland said:

so we're now going to community forums on something called 'lulz' dot come and believing random anonymous posts as verified fact because it fits a preconceived narrative?

The HR director for Duckduckgo has locked her Twitter so there is merit to it.
MSCAg
AG
Seems like the guy should get a lawyer. If that happened, it's a slam dunk case right?
Bird Poo
AG
So if my kid's great grandfather is from Spain, can he claim woke privilege?
Martin Q. Blank
coconutED said:

Twitter has censored the story, so its probably true.
streisand effect
ChemAg15
AG
If Twitter censors it, it's probably true. There are no "reliable" sources anymore.
JamesPShelley
Interview for the position.
BMX Bandit
So literally "learn to code"?
Repeat the Line
Bunk Moreland said:

so we're now going to community forums on something called 'lulz' dot com and believing random anonymous anecdotes as verified fact because it fits a preconceived narrative?

Bless your little heart.
AGHouston11
AG
PearlJammin said:

Only if you use the appropriate pronouns .....
Mayor West
AG
BMX Bandit said:

So literally "learn to code"?

No, he knows how to code. This is learn to "not be white"
JobSecurity
AG
I'm sure they'll just hide behind some automated candidate screening software "issue"
AgNav93
AG
We're heading to a segregated country IMO.
Dr. Nefario
As in a case where a minority claims discrimination, I would wait for both sides of the story before passing judgement, assuming this is even true. Perhaps it's an early-career level position or one that pays well below the market value of someone with the applicant's credentials and a person with 5 years experience would be more likely to stick around for the long haul at a lower salary point. Or perhaps the fake resume had certain key words the computer system keyed in on that weren't in the original. Or maybe it really is blatant discrimination, I certainly wouldn't discount that possibility. There's really no way to tell from the information given. Had the applicant been accepted with only the demographic info changed, this would be a much stronger discrimination claim.
MouthBQ98
AG
The pool of minority candidates who choose to go into STEM and do what it takes to be competent or better is fairly small, but all of the businesses' HR and senior executives are in a vicious battle to appear more socially progressive to investors and customers that make purchases based on sanctimony and self satisfaction of want to perceive themselves and be perceived as morally superior. This leads to biased hiring to try to satisfy that demand prioritizing this unfortunately small pool of candidates.
AGHouston11
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

Bunk Moreland said:

so we're now going to community forums on something called 'lulz' dot come and believing random anonymous posts as verified fact because it fits a preconceived narrative?

So this is the HR director ? If so that's about what I had pictured.
Skillet Shot
Presearch is much better than DDG. And you can earn crypto for every search if you make an account.
Buying_time
AG
PearlJammin said:

If you came from the "correct" group, you could honestly call yourself a blue blood.

https://grammarist.com/usage/blue-blood/

Snip

The term blue blood is taken from the Spanish term Sangre Azul, which literally translates as blue blood. Old, Castilian families boasted that they had no Moorish antecedents in their bloodlines, and pointed to the blue veins in their arms as proof. Obviously, their veins appeared very blue against their pale white skin. This term migrated into English in the early 1800s.
zoneag
MouthBQ98 said:

The pool of minority candidates who choose to go into STEM and do what it takes to be competent or better is fairly small, but all of the businesses' HR and senior executives are in a vicious battle to appear more socially progressive to investors and customers that make purchases based on sanctimony and self satisfaction of want to perceive themselves and be perceived as morally superior. This leads to biased hiring to try to satisfy that demand prioritizing this unfortunately small pool of candidates.

This is correct. Tech companies have requirements for a certain % of minority/women candidates that advance to onsite interviews. Likely if this imaginary candidate was real she'd get interviewed along with 3 or 4 better qualified candidates, gets passed over, and the hiring team can say "Hey 25% of our on-site candidates were D&I".

It's bull**** but that's how it works.
YouBet
AG
Yeah, we shouldn't be surprised if this is true. Most, if not all, of Fortune 250 are actively hiring blacks over whites. It's public, stated policy. My wife's employer has publicly stated their intent to hire minorities and females over white males into leadership to make the numbers even. Almost all big corporations have this policy now.

Some of these companies now have diversity hiring councils for any leadership position so if you are the hiring manager the decision is ultimately out of your hands to hire who you want. It has to get approved by a third party minority council to ensure you aren't hiring too many white people.

Sue all you want; you won't win when everyone is doing it. The legal system is not going to rule in your favor. The Asians suing Harvard ultimately lost and that was blatant discrimination.

Why is anyone surprised?
Evanhue
AG
AgNav93 said:

We're heading to a segregated country IMO.
it was true that Obama set race relations back 50 years.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
work for yourself....CPA, Financial Advisor, Real Estate, Insurance, Franchise, etc. etc. Law, Doc, Dentist. Plan for degree and jobs outside of big corp.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Sadly, if you're a straight white male in tech, your only hope is to lie on your resume and put your Xe/Xer/Xey pronouns prominently at the top and show up to the interview dressed like this:

ntxVol
YouBet said:

Why is anyone surprised?
Yeah, this has been happening for years but it is getting worse with companies needing to be woke. Still, no one should be surprised at all.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
BAP Enthusiast said:

Bunk Moreland said:

If this is your HR director...uhhh....yeah. I want no part of any organization that hires someone like this to do anymore than file things away or take phone calls...or at most do basic IT work.

Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
Hammerly High Dive Crips
AGHouston11 said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Bunk Moreland said:

So this is the HR director ? If so that's about what I had pictured.
This. I now believe this story 100%. That is all I needed to see.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
Viper16
AG

Interesting episode on an original Star Trek.....

"Let That Be Your Last Battlefield."

Season 3 Episode 15 aired Jan 10, 1969

#FJB

Trump 2024

Ultra-MAGA Cultist :-))

Lex Talionis
Johnny04
zoneag said:

MouthBQ98 said:

This is correct. Tech companies have requirements for a certain % of minority/women candidates that advance to onsite interviews. Likely if this imaginary candidate was real she'd get interviewed along with 3 or 4 better qualified candidates, gets passed over, and the hiring team can say "Hey 25% of our on-site candidates were D&I".

It's bull**** but that's how it works.
It's much worse than just the candidate pool. I worked for a large engineering/tech company and while hunting around for some info, ran across a powerpoint for managers. It was all laid out explicitly: we have a deparment goal to hire and promote X% of minorities and Y% of females. I'm trying to recall the numbers, but they were in the range of 30-50%. When you work in a profession overwhelming dominated by men, and half the promotions are reserved for the few women in the department, it's more than a bit demoralizing.

And this was roughly 10 years ago. It's much worse now. I think it was Nasqaq that recently made a rule that there must be minorities and women on the executive board of a company for it to be considered for an IPO on their exchange.
Texaggie7nine
You guys are sounding like a bunch of collectivist authoritarians. It's the same playbook as the left authoritarians. We don't like what corporations are doing so we need big gov to force them to do what we want. The free market solves all problems if allowed to work.
7nine
BMX Bandit
Texaggie7nine said:

You guys are sounding like a bunch of collectivist authoritarians. It's the same playbook as the left authoritarians. We don't like what corporations are doing so we need big gov to force them to do what we want. The free market solves all problems if allowed to work.

wanting the law to be equally enforced does not make one a "Collectivist authoritarian"
Bunk Moreland
SEATAC Aggie said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Bless your little heart.

I never said it wasn't true. I just find it funny what posters on this board will blindly believe and what they'll immediately discount, so long as the outcome checks specific boxes.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.