Have you ever come across a religious cult or political cult?

4,410 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by agdad4x
Ghost of Bisbee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've only ever come across what I thought was a cult-like network in Montana. Small outpost near Glacier National Park called polebridge. Maybe 2 shack homes there and they had a small restaurant, but it felt off.

Would love to hear who has come across anything cult-like on your life experience, and how you interacted with said cult.

[We have cleaned up all of the Trump, Libs, Dems, BLM, and all of the other political group posts that were repeated by posters that obviously didn't read the other posts exactly like them earlier in the thread. -Staff]
eric76
AG
The Hare Krishnas.

When I lived in the Houston area, they would sometimes have food stands set up at street festivals and I would often stop and buy food from them.
VaultingChemist
AG
Children of God in Thurber, Texas
House of Yahweh in Eula, Texas

I visited the Children of God cult once when our young LCMS pastor thought it was appropriate to take a bunch of Lutheran kids on an educational field trip to see how a cult operated. It really freaked me out.

I personally know former members of the House of Yahweh.
On a related note concerning Callahan County, I have met both Billie Sol Estes and Bill Burkett (of Dan Rather fame) of the Democratic Party.
GeorgiAg
doubledog
It all depends on what you define as a cult.
TheCurl84
AG
Freshman year at A&M. The Moonies.
"God help us to respond reasonably and love irrationally, not the other way around."

-Brian Moss
P.U.T.U
AG
My friend married a woman who grew up in a cult, interesting upbringing. Ended up being a good person but some of her friends/family are pretty dang weird.
administrative errors
Moonies
Coming soon:
AE Ventures - sooner than soon
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Physical and mental exercises
*Addiction services

Step 3: property found

Step 4: set date

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

Step 6: long-term planning

I am amped.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Just outside of San Angelo was the Yearning for Zion compound where Warren Jeffs lived. Saw the place getting built and some of the members every so often. There was clearly something off there beyond how they dressed. Eerie.
MouthBQ98
AG
Been there. Hung out with the new owners of the restaurant as we happened to arrive back from Kintla Lake after dark and it looked like the only meal option besides the cold food we had packed. Turns out they were two ladies from Tomball, where my wife grew up, and close to where I am from myself. I didn't get a weird vibe at all, just a tiny close knit community of people who wanted to get away from human civilization in a really nice place (until the snow hits).

The current proliferation of SJW movements based on intersectionalist ideology juxtaposed with post modernist neo Marxism seems awfully cult-like to me. It meets many of the defining criterion of a religious structure and is highly possessive of members.

Frankly, those in serious ritualistic fear of CoVID are bordering on cultish behavior to, with their own set of beliefs and dogma, virtues and sins, a priestly caste, and demons and devils to despise, penance and religious garb.
Stupid@17
AG
You ever been the odd man out at a holy roller church? I have. May not be cult, but wow. When my grand dad leaned over the first time I went to church with him and said ignore these three people they will start screaming in about 5 minutes, then like clockwork, on the ground grunting and trying to make up words
TxTarpon
Yes.
FLDS.
We should have jailed more of them in Texas after the raid.
Those women knew about the child abuse too and were complicit.
Had we been the Texas of the early 20th century 3,000 of us would have surrounded that compound and told the freaks, "yall need to pack up and leave by sundown Sunday."

----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Sarge 91
AG
[You posted that after our edit about trolling and derailing. -Staff]
astros4545
AG
[You posted that after our edit and decided to troll or derail anyway. -Staff]
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
VaultingChemist said:

Children of God in Thurber, Texas
House of Yahweh in Eula, Texas

I visited the Children of God cult once when our young LCMS pastor thought it was appropriate to take a bunch of Lutheran kids on an educational field trip to see how a cult operated. It really freaked me out.

I personally know former members of the House of Yahweh.
On a related note concerning Callahan County, I have met both Billie Sol Estes and Bill Burkett (of Dan Rather fame) of the Democratic Party.

Wow. Would love to hear more about your experience. Children of God are fascinating to me, in how their family units operate. What was it like visiting them? I'm shocked they were open to it.

I think they are primarily an online only group now. I think it's so interesting.
-Ben There/R.C.
Burdizzo
AG
So I can't bring up Amway?
GeorgiAg
AG
They say Aggies are a cult.

I ain't leaving. I've converted my friends, family and GF.
Lone Stranger
Websters: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work.

There is this university in College Station, Texas many would describe as a cult. They just aren't considered a dangerous cult although many people around the globe consider them "out there".

HTownAg98
I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower. You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader. -Creed Bratton
Burdizzo
AG
Lone Stranger said:

Websters: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work.

There is this university in College Station, Texas many would describe as a cult. They just aren't considered a dangerous cult although many people around the globe consider them "out there".

From the outside looking in you won't understand it
From the inside looking out you cant explain it.

Nope. No cult here.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
TxTarpon said:

Yes.
FLDS.
Had we been the Texas of the early 20th century 3,000 of us would have surrounded that compound and told the freaks, "yall need to pack up and leave by sundown Sunday."

What's your story with FLDS? Where'd you see them?

Cults are fascinating. Would pay money to experience life with a cult for a single day. Children of God is the craziest one to me.
-Ben There/R.C.
black_ice
Ghost of Bizbee said:

TxTarpon said:

Yes.
FLDS.

What's your story with FLDS? Where'd you see them?

Cults are fascinating. Would pay money to experience life with a cult for a single day. Children of God is the craziest one to me.

Email me I can get you a cult exp.
TaxLawAg
astros4545 said:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was a new, just made up on the fly rule that only one reference was allowed per thread when it was an open question to all.

"Moderation."
BQ78
AG
You were banned on Twitter, watch out you'll get banned on the much better Texags.
Shooter McGavin
AG
Climate change activists
astros4545
AG
astros4545 said:

test
Artorias
AG
OP specifically asks about POLITICAL cults.

People respond with examples of political groups that are cultish.

Mods nuke posts referencing any political groups.

Makes sense....
YouBet
AG
Probably get deleted but my one experience attending Mormon service was bizarre and felt cult-like to me for someone who had never experienced anything remotely like this at the time.

The women and children were forced to sit in the back pews along with infidels like me. All the men sat up front.

And then we had confession time. Some dude gets up front in front of the congregation and confesses to cheating on his wife and a myriad of other sins I don't recall. Was sitting there in shock and glad to get the hell out when it was over.

Having said that, some of the best employees I've ever had were Mormon. Interesting group of people.
zag213004
AG
Trajan88
AG
Circa 2012: intersection near Circuit of the Americas track, Austin .... believe the Westboro Baptist Church had a roadside protest with signs ... no idea what they were protesting / trying to bring attention ... i kept driving to the parking lots.
VaultingChemist
AG
Quote:

Wow. Would love to hear more about your experience. Children of God are fascinating to me, in how their family units operate. What was it like visiting them? I'm shocked they were open to it.
I remember that the main guy that our pastor conversed with was an ex-minister. I think he was wearing a robe similar to a ecumenical robe. Most of the inhabitants looked to be in their early 20's. I remember talking to a young woman who was telling us how she would engage in deep meditation, and during some of these meditations that "crystals would form around her mouth".

I don't remember much else, but it was definitely weird being around them. The compound was not much more than an amalgam of rudimentary structures built next to each other. The other teenagers in our group never forgot that trip.

Edit for some references: https://childrenofgod.com/en/history/articles/1970/
https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/children-of-god
Burdizzo
AG
VaultingChemist said:

Quote:

I remember that the main guy that our pastor conversed with was an ex-minister. I think he was wearing a robe similar to a ecumenical robe. Most of the inhabitants looked to be in their early 20's. I remember talking to a young woman who was telling us how she would engage in deep meditation, and during some of these meditations that "crystals would form around her mouth".

I don't remember much else, but it was definitely weird being around them. The compound was not much more than an amalgam of rudimentary structures built next to each other. The other teenagers in our group never forgot that trip.

Sounds like my afternoon power nap.
agdad4x
I am part of the largest religious cult know to mankind, I am Catholic !!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.