Blatant racism?

2,819 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by vmiaptetr
Post removed:
by user
Shoefly!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Owlagdad
Rendered Fat said:

So I'm in Slidell, LA on my way to Sea Side, FL and had to stop at Walmart to get my kid some cough medicine. Walmart in Slidell employs a receipt check line like Costco does when you leave, presumably because of rampant theft. There's a long line of predominantly one race waiting to get their receipts checked. I start to go around it before I realize what's going on, then jump back in line. The black security guard looks at me and says "you're fine" and waives me through.

Anyway, is this "zomg racism"?

Maybe he recognizes the locals.
Maybe he is trained to know a thief's behavior.
Maybe they have been on camera.

$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Probably. More like racial profiling. Definitely self inflicted though so my GAF meter I'd pretty much pegged to 0 about it.
Post removed:
by user
HollywoodBQ
AG
Just good customer service.

I've received the same treatment when I shop in the wrong part of town.

Something about pulling your pants up so they can't see your drawers makes shopkeepers trust you more.
Not Funny
Tough decision. No way I'd wait in line to get out the door in the first place, but for a sick kid I can see the need. You did the right thing by attempting to wait in line with the rest of the gen pop. The sec guard was probably waving you through to avoid violence to your person.

Remember, stereotypes are rooted in some amount of truth.

Anyway, reminds me of this:

https://i.gifer.com/Tuwh.gif
Owlagdad
Rendered Fat said:

They do the same thing at all of the Rio Grande Valley Border Patrol checkpoints and no one seems to have an issue with it.

At the border they would wave RGV license plates through and stop the ones they did not recognize.
We always thought dealer in Mexico, was paid snitch and would call US authorities and give plate number, he made double money.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Where you wearing your ATM Hat & A&M Polo with khaki cargo shorts with white shoes and white socks?or did you risk and wear rhe maroon crocs with ankle socks?

Clob94
If you lived in a swamp for 20 years and every day you'd been bitten by mosquitos, you'd eventually deploy a mosquito net--- yes?
KT 90
AG
If all you bought was cough medicine you likely had it in your hand (not even in a bag) and had the receipt right there as well. That person is easier to waive on vs. somebody with a cart full of stuff they bought.
zephyr88
AG
SWC Ag said:

Probably. More like racial profiling. Definitely self inflicted though so my GAF meter I'd pretty much pegged to 0 about it.
[insert eye roll]

Racial profiling is NOT racism.

It's nothing more that using your brain and making a judgement call.

Intuition is a helluva thing.
richardag
If you had one item, only the cough medicine, and the others had cart fulls may have been a curtesy courtesy.

edit spelling
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Buying_time
AG
In Kalifornia, they have 2 lines.

Less than $950 shoplifting express pass exit lane where they wave you through and the fool that paid line so they can verify you paid for your cough syrup.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
zephyr88 said:

SWC Ag said:

[insert eye roll]

Racial profiling is NOT racism.

It's nothing more that using your brain and making a judgement call.

Intuition is a helluva thing.

Eye roll yourself for ****ty reading comprehension.

I said the same thing you did.
BigRobSA
HollywoodBQ said:

Something about pulling your pants up so they can't see your drawers makes shopkeepers trust you more.

Island MexiCANs

But then, you chuckled as you unloaded your stash, amirite?!
Sea Speed
AG
Dis youbhqve only one item? They could have also seen you walk directly from checkout over. Also not trying to circumvent the rules can lead to appearance of credibility so they let you through.

Appearance is also huge.
IslanderAg04
Im sure it has more to do with you just holding a bag of cough syrup. Not really a high theft item.

Pretty sure if it was a black father with his son it would be the same.

It's a cultural thing not race.
Slyfox07
AG
Rendered Fat said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Where you wearing your ATM Hat & A&M Polo with khaki cargo shorts with white shoes and white socks?or did you risk and wear rhe maroon crocs with ankle socks?

Nah, lost a good twenty pounds after Covid, so went with a black t shirt to show off my rips and some tighter than normal shorts to show off a little sack for the ladies of Slidell.

Username checks
Post removed:
by user
Science Denier
AG
Quote:

There's a long line of predominantly one race waiting to get their receipts checked.
. Yea. I know what you mean. Those Asians are terrible, aren't they.
BigRobSA
Rendered Fat said:

Sea Speed said:

Dis youbhqve only one item? They could have also seen you walk directly from checkout over. Also not trying to circumvent the rules can lead to appearance of credibility so they let you through.

Appearance is also huge.

I had cough syrup, Arizona Iced Tea and Skittles

Trayvon?
Dr. Mephisto
AG
No disrespect, but it seems you are attempting to assign motive when you have no idea what is really going on.

In such a case, I would just nod and move on.

BLM and Antifa would be thrilled to know you let race be among the first of your possible explanations. THats what they want for everyone, in all circumstances, even when common sense and plain old human decency offer better and more rational answers.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

Probably more a factor of only having a few items. Most waiting were probably with fuller carts, etc.

doubledog
The longer line is for WalMart people.

https://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
HollywoodBQ
AG
BigRobSA said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Island MexiCANs

But then, you chuckled as you unloaded your stash, amirite?!
Funnily enough, I was buying a bunch of crap at Home Depot a week ago and my wife had dropped a small trowel shovel into a bucket I was buying.

Using the self checkout, I missed the trowel and didn't see it until we got to the car. So... I sent her back in to pay for it.

But yeah, I could have stolen a small shovel. Of course in California, the cops aren't going to go after you for anything under $900 which is why anything over $100 is usually under lock and key.
YouBet
AG
Science Denier said:

Quote:

There's a long line of predominantly one race waiting to get their receipts checked.
. Yea. I know what you mean. Those Asians are terrible, aren't they.

They certainly can't drive worth a damn.
vmiaptetr
AG
There's a good bit of legal discussion on the receipt checking stuff. Without getting into particulars, once you've paid for the transaction, the stuff in that bag becomes your property. When the guy/gal asks for your receipt, they are asking for your permission to search your stuff. I just politely tell them, "No thank you," and continue on out the door.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.