Bootleg Fire In Oregon Uncontrollably Doubles In Size Amid Megadrought

3,684 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Lt. Joe Bookman
Ghost Mech
How long do you want to ignore this user?
?itok=sULwuMaf

Quote:

Large swaths of the Western half of the US experienced triple-digit temperatures this past weekend, with intense heat expected to continue through mid-week. As the West baked, a huge wildfire doubled in size in southern Oregon, continuing to threaten major transmission lines that feed power into northern California..

The fire in focus Monday is the Bootleg Fire in southern Oregon, approximately doubling in size in the last 48 hours to more than 150,000 acres.

On Sunday, the wildfire continued to spread and was zero percent contained. Extreme hot temperatures and a megadrought appear to be what fuels the fire.

According to NBC News, "the fire interrupted electrical lines that transmit power from Oregon to California. The state lost thousands of megawatts of imported power and struggled to maintain operating reserves as temperatures soared into triple digits in parts of the state."

https://www.zerohedge.com/weather/bootleg-fire-oregon-uncontrollably-doubles-size-amid-megadrought

That pic of the smoke is impressive.
Tom Doniphon
Needs to move west.... it's burning some of the more decent parts
ABATTBQ87
AG
Let it burn, because nature is trying to reverse man made climate issues
titan
S

Wow -- that almost looks like how Mt.Mazama (Crater Lake) would look like waking up. An eruption plume. And its close to the general area in very broad terms.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
Sully Dog
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

"Mega-Drought" is the catch phrase of the year. Nevermind that area had near average snow fall for the year.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
titan
S

Heat and drought are actually different --- if they are saying that they are misleading. As you pointed out, if you are getting the rain, that's different.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
ABATTBQ87
AG
Extreme hot temperatures and a megadrought appear to be what fuels the fire.

Hot temperatures are not part of the fire triangle:

Fuel + oxygen + source of ignition
Sully Dog
Tom Doniphon said:

Needs to move west.... it's burning some of the more decent parts
It's a long way from the areas that aren't decent..
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
fka ftc
Then Drought-a-geddon, Drought-pocalypse, Drought-nado, Drought-nado 2...
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
panhandlefarmer
AG
That's in a National Forest isn't it? Probably mismanaged fuel load and limits to grazing. Just a wild ass guess.
deddog
AG
I wonder if all the libs on facebook are blaming Biden.
They sure were blaming Trump for all the fires Antifa set last year
Kenneth_2003
AG
deddog said:

I wonder if all the libs on facebook are blaming Biden.
They sure were blaming Trump for all the fires Antifa set last year

No, it's back to the climate change boogeyman.
Ghost Mech
I didn't really post this to make a climate debate (we all know that's BS). Honestly, I was just impressed by the scope of the fire. In the big picture, this is simply a natural process playing out the way it is supposed to but you've got to be in awe of how big of a ***** Mother Nature can be.

What % of the state does that smoke cloud cover? 5 to 10%???

Google has a map that shows the impacted areas.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1081714,-122.4094252,7.21z/data=!4m3!15m2!1m1!1s%2Fg%2F11rrrq_tlt
Yellerjacket
ABATTBQ87 said:

Extreme hot temperatures would greatly increase the amount of fuel though, right?
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
YouBet
AG
Sully Dog said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

"Mega-Drought" is the catch phrase of the year. Nevermind that area had near average snow fall for the year.
They are clearly conflating California's woes with Oregon then. The former supposedly didn't get their normal monsoon rains last year and this year from what I've read. They have already eclipsed last years wildfires and it's not wildfire season yet.

I base this all of an MSM article specifically about Lake Mead which apparently is approaching catastrophic levels so for all we know it's actually raining like hell across the state right now.

Most of what this is telling me is that California is not a smart place to live both economically nor ecologically.
Not Coach Jimbo
These fires are a fairly common occurrence in oregon, and have been for years.

Anything east of the cascades is dry. Large swathes of that area are high desert that get ~15" of annual rainfall. Paisley Oregon (~30mi from bootleg fire) has an annual rainfall of 12.6"... people calling it a "mega drought" have no clue what life and history of the region is like. The drought and fires are common occurrence.

Picard
AG
Have they tried putting Gatorade on Orgeron?

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Sully Dog said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

So from the article that links this "mega-drought" the data presentation is from April. It talks about bad conditions in North Dakota and Texas along with the desert southwest and creeping up into Oregon.

"Despite all of our advanced technology, farmers can't grow crops if it doesn't rain, and a farmer in Texas named Blake Fennell says that his farm has not had any significant rain in almost two years
Quote:

The West Texas farmer says his area hasn't seen significant rain fall in nearly two years.
"We've still got to give that crop every chance we think we can get, but at the same time, we also can't waste a lot of money on a crop that we don't think we're going to have going into it," he says.
What a nightmare.
Right now, nearly the entire state of Texas is in some level of drought, and we haven't even gotten to the summer months yet."

Pull up the current drought map and the SW is still the same, but Texas has NO drought conditions, ND is better and I'm sure in 6-8 months so will the SW showing some much different conditions. Oh yeah, we are in the summer months now and I'm looking at a pretty mild 10 day forecast. Cherry pick data as needed Mr. Tyler Durden.
TexasAggie_02
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

hot temps dry out fine fuels. If fine fuels are wet, ignition is more difficult. we're not talking about gasoline here that would ignite no matter the temperature. this is vegetation.
Sea Speed
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

It's a tetrahedron now bro
YouBet
AG
That is 1984 level considering the amount of rain we've had this year in Texas. Good lord.

edit: coincidentally, I recall reading an article a few years ago coming out of our last big drought that said going forward North Texas was predicted to be on the winning end of getting enough rain compared to many other regions in the US. That seems to have played out so far.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Yellerjacket said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Extreme hot temperatures would greatly increase the amount of fuel though, right?
no, hot temperatures lower the moisture content of existing fuel, allowing it to burn.

But don't allow the air temperature to fool you as some of the most dangerous fire conditions exist AFTER cold fronts that freeze and dry out grasslands and lower humidity.
ABATTBQ87
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

hot temps dry out fine fuels. If fine fuels are wet, ignition is more difficult. we're not talking about gasoline here that would ignite no matter the temperature. this is vegetation.
Cold dry air also dries out fine fuel moisture content, but since the air temp is cold people don't run around screaming "EXCESSIVE COLD CAUSING FIRE!"

It was fun studying fire in the forest ecosystem while I was pursuing my Forestry degree
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Sea Speed said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

It's a tetrahedron now bro
I caught that in safety training the other day.
DL76
AG
No one seems to talk about forest mismanagement and allowing years and years of dead undergrowth to buildup, just ready to explode. Also total mismanagement of electricity power transmission line systems by not providing adequate clear right-of-ways.
YouBet
AG
DL76 said:

No one seems to talk about forest mismanagement and allowing years and years of dead undergrowth to buildup, just ready to explode. Also total mismanagement of electricity power transmission line systems by not providing adequate clear right-of-ways.
We did have one of our many "Trump Was Right Again" moments last week though when an article was posted that California realized he was right on his recommendation to do just this and had plans to start clearing out underbrush and "raking".

He was lauded as a buffoon by Democrats and the media when he suggested it yet once again; he proves to be correct.
Get Off My Lawn
"Only YOU can prevent forest fires assist in our forest mismanagement!"
outofstateaggie
AG
With regards to the management comment above, an article from the Albuquerque Journal. Several years old, but certainly still true. Sorry, couldn't figure out how to link the file from the archive.

Ghost Mech
The National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC) reports 67 large wildfires burn across ten parched Western states on Tuesday, and the largest is in southern Oregon, already threatened to cut power to California.
Quote:

Nearly 918,000 acres have burned in 67 large fires across the United States. New large fires were reported in Arizona, California, Idaho, Montana, and Oregon. Type 1 and Type 2 Incident Management Teams are assigned to 24 large fires or complexes. And, more than 14,200 wildland firefighters and support personnel are assigned to incidents.
As record temperatures continue across many states, it's important to remember that we all play a valuable role in wildfire prevention. -NIFC
The fires erupted as much of the Western half of the US is plagued with a megadrought and back-to-back heat waves. This has created the perfect storm of conditions that are fueling dangerous fires

?itok=VcfR1fZD

Megadrought sounds so much more kick ass than.....un-usually hot and dry wide spread seasonal weather.

Quote:

Portions Of Mississippi River Nearing Record Low, May Jeopardize Barge Traffic

In another sign, the megadrought is wreaking havoc across the Western half of the US. There are multiple portions of the Mississippi River that are nearing record low water levels that may inhibit commercial or private vessels from traversing the critical waterway.

The stretch of the Mississippi River at St. Paul, Minnesota, is around 3.2 feet Wednesday. That's about six inches from the record low of 2.6 feet set in 197

Rod and Pat Stalker, of Texas, told the Telegraph Herald that they sailed their 45-foot Carver yacht up the Mississippi River to Dubuque but are now stuck at a marina because the water in the main channel is less than 2.5 feet. The yacht requires 3.5 feet of water.

"Everyone here has been basically locked into the marina for the last two to three weeks," Rod said. "We went out a couple of weeks ago and we were churning mud, so we decided not to go. Most people are choosing not to go out to avoid thousands of dollars of damage to the bottom of the boat."

https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/portions-mississippi-river-nearing-record-low-may-jeopardize-barge-traffic
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Sully Dog said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Huh? We live in the area. It's been ridiculously dry?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.