MSNBC Producer quits calling it a Cancer

6,315 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by titan
aggie93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MSNBC Producer quits

Quote:

A former MSNBC producer wrote an open letter on Monday explaining why she left the far-left network a little over a week ago, saying that they are a "cancer" that is "stoking national division" by amplifying "fringe voices" and forcing "journalists to make bad decisions on a daily basis."

The letter was written by Ariana Pekary, who Fox News noted described herself as an "integral member" of MSNBC's "The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell."
Quote:

Pekary said that at MSNBC it was "practically baked in to the editorial process" that decisions on what and who give coverage to were based on what would generate the most ratings for the network. She said that behind closed doors "industry leaders will admit the damage that's being done."

A high profile TV veteran reportedly told her, "We are a cancer and there is no cure. But if you could find a cure, it would change the world."
Quote:

"As it is, this cancer stokes national division, even in the middle of a civil rights crisis," Pekary said. "The model blocks diversity of thought and content because the networks have incentive to amplify fringe voices and events, at the expense of others all because it pumps up the ratings."

"Context and factual data are often considered too cumbersome for the audience," Pekary later added. "There may be some truth to that (our education system really should improve the critical thinking skills of Americans) but another hard truth is that it is the job of journalists to teach and inform, which means they might need to figure out a better way to do that. They could contemplate more creative methods for captivating an audience. Just about anything would improve the current process, which can be pretty rudimentary (think basing today's content on whatever rated well yesterday, or look to see what's trending online today)."
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Strategy
AG
I hope we see more and more of this.
Red Red Wine
AG
I regrettably look forward to reading her obituary in next weeks newspapers.
valvemonkey91
AG
What ratings? MSNBC is a cesspool. NoOne watches that ***** Even the libs watch Fox. If it weren't for airports, CNN would have the same ratings.
Ciboag96
Quote:

Pekary said that at MSNBC it was "practically baked in to the editorial process" that decisions on what and who give coverage to were based on what would generate the most ratings for the network.

Yeah, no ****, plans not working folks. Need to hire a consultant and do some team building n *****
Buck Compton
AG
Good for her.

The issue with journalism today is the same lack of critical thinking of which the audience is accused in those quotes. To properly report on a current political issue or hotly debated topic (and not just parrot talking points), you need to be able to put yourself in the shoes of those making the decisions, their incentives, and analyze the raw data yourself (and not just audience data).

In short, it requires a brand of logic and critical thinking that is far beyond what is typically taught or nurtured in a standard journalism curriculum. For example, here is Northwestern's curriculum. No logic or other similar classes, an inordinate number of English courses, a basic introduction to investigative journalism (which is more history than a how to), and an entire course on "Collecting and Analyzing Audience Data". I get that they need English and media design courses (obviously), but journalists should care just as much about WHAT they report as HOW they report it. It used to be a focus on the truth.

Combined with the channels they typically operate in now (Twitter, etc.), reporters and journalists won't seek out rational thought or actual debate unless it is truly personal to them. The incentives (and tools) just aren't there for the typical journalist.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

...even in the middle of a civil rights crisis...
There is no real crisis.

It's all Kabuki Theater to influence the election.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Combined with the channels they typically operate in now (Twitter, etc.), reporters and journalists won't seek out rational thought or actual debat
Scanning Facebook and Twitter is what passes for journalism these days.
Reservoir Dog
This is another good sign.

We are starting to see more and more voices of reason and intellectual honesty from some on the left.

Leo Terrel, The NY Times editor who recently resigned, and now this...

These women are brave to walk away from their lively hoods sacrificing a money in order to keep their honor.

Good on them!
Sid Farkas
AG
valvemonkey91 said:

What ratings? MSNBC is a cesspool. NoOne watches that ***** Even the libs watch Fox. If it weren't for airports, CNN would have the same ratings.

MSNBC could never compete with the. 'more mainstream' left wing outlets like CNN and the three legacy networks. Their niche is the tin foil wearing anarchists and those who sympathize with them..a smallish market, but distinct and enthusiastic enough to tune in for MSNBC's lunacy
Harry Stone
AG
Its sad we've all known this but it's taken this long for 1 person to admit it.
hammerhead
Tell me or show me a more punchable face/ voice than L Francis O'Donnell. The guy is a total POS scumbag that really needs to...not be on TV anymore
Layne Staley
AG
FAIL:

Quote:

Pekary said that at MSNBC it was "practically baked in to the editorial process" that decisions on what and who give coverage to were based on what would generate the most ratings for the network.
Ellis Wyatt
Strategy said:

I hope we see more and more of this.
You won't. All the younger folks in the industry are unhinged true believers.
kb2001
AG
Quote:

but another hard truth is that it is the job of journalists to teach and inform,
This stuck out in my mind. I don't believe this is true anymore. It is clear that the job of journalists is to get ratings/clicks/retweets/likes. The ethics and profession of journalism may have once been to provide information to the public, but the job of a journalist today is more truthfully to generate advertising revenue, and the means to do that is to get more ratings/click/retweets/likes
Oak Tree
AG
kb2001 said:

Quote:

but another hard truth is that it is the job of journalists to teach and inform,
This stuck out in my mind. I don't believe this is true anymore. It is clear that the job of journalists is to get ratings/clicks/retweets/likes. The ethics and profession of journalism may have once been to provide information to the public, but the job of a journalist today is more truthfully to generate advertising revenue, and the means to do that is to get more ratings/click/retweets/likes
The progressive media reports propaganda sent to them by their leaders. Progressive corporations donations are directed to medias ideology not their ratings.
Owlagdad
Not Who, What, When and Where, but Whatever and Whoever pays the most for liberal lies to be printed.
Prostitute media
JCA1
AG
This is the unrecognized irony. For all their left wing talk, I'm not sure there is a group in America whose actions are more ruthlessly capitalistic. They will literally say anything for a buck.
Gbr1971
Here is her letter.

https://www.arianapekary.net/post/personal-news-why-i-m-now-leaving-msnbc

She's saying that the problems she's describing are endemic at all of the cable news networks and i think thats right. It's interesting that the Daily Wire didn't mention that in their article.
Owlagdad
JCA1 said:

This is the unrecognized irony. For all their left wing talk, I'm not sure there is a group in America whose actions are more ruthlessly capitalistic. They will literally say anything for a buck.

Bottom line is what wins with them. Don't you know liberal radio owners hate Rush ET al? They hold their nose for a check.
riverrataggie
AG
People keep saying CNN does this for the ratings and then turn around about how bad their ratings are. Which is it.
Red Red Wine
AG
They are trying to hang on to whatever radical viewer they have left. If they go middle ground they lose to other established channels in that space so they have been forced more left over time and are now stuck there.

So yes, they are doing it for ratings and can't get out of the liberal left lane. Too late.
MouthBQ98
AG
Some compete for a Part of the general audience, Others feed confirmation bias to niche audiences they want to dominate. They pick a target market segment and tailor the product to meet the demand of the news consumers in that market. Like I always say, the media is in the business of selling advertising. They'll report whatever they have to report to try to meet the Ad sales goals.
halfastros81
AG
The cure is to turn them off. Seek your news from multiple believable and balanced sources. I can't really say I know who that is at this stage but I know it's not MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, the NYT, the Houston Comical, the Washington Post, or the Dallas, St Louis, Portland, Seattle, Boston, Minneapolis , Atlanta, Chicago, LA ,or SF prime newspapers whatever they are called.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Reservoir Dog said:

This is another good sign.

We are starting to see more and more voices of reason and intellectual honesty from some on the left.

Leo Terrel, The NY Times editor who recently resigned, and now this...

These women are brave to walk away from their lively hoods sacrificing a money in order to keep their honor.

Good on them!
Leo Terrell has been a very big surprise to me. He was the Dem talking head for a long time and absolutely hates Trump, but I guess the left has finally gone past his point of no return.

Not hard to imagine, with the looting and violence and general lawlessness. That isn't a good look for a huge part of the country.
A & M, GIVE US ROOM!

titan
S
Bump. Worth re-visiting,

Read this OP thread again, and then consider it in light of this one below recently too, before all the other distractions were drummed up:

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3124682/replies/56956064

Rocky Rider
AG
I immediately thought of the NYT writer when I read the MSNBC worker's letter. If there's enough of this my faith in humanity might one day be restored.

Encouraging to see that not everyone at MSNBC and NYT is drinking the cool-aid.
Tramp96
aggie93 said:

A high profile TV veteran reportedly told her, "We are a cancer and there is no cure. But if you could find a cure, it would change the world."

There is a cure. It's called "the truth". Works 100% of the time it's been tried.
DeSantis 2024
Tramp96
Rocky Rider said:

I immediately thought of the NYT writer when I read the MSNBC worker's letter. If there's enough of this my faith in humanity might one day be restored.

Encouraging to see that not everyone at MSNBC and NYT is drinking the cool-aid.
Problem is they are...because the ones who aren't have quit.
DeSantis 2024
LoudestWHOOP!
AG

Was she the one with the HAMMER?
policywonk98
AG
valvemonkey91 said:

The problem is that ratings are only one measurement of influence.

Ratings don't capture the number of times an MSNBC video clip is recorded and shared on social media and that share is shared again and again and again.

Given demographics, who do you think does more social media clip sharing, the Fox News viewer or the MSNBC viewer?

The Fox News viewership is 94% white with an average age of 66.

Do you know what the #1 cable channel for African Americans is in the prime time slot? Not just news Channel. All of cable.

BET? Nope.
VH1? Nope.
ESPN? Nope.
OWN? Nope.

Its MSNBC. They have the #1 AA cable prime time audience in America.

In terms of news for young people. Network news draws 3-4 times more 25-54 year olds than Fox News does.
fasthorse05
Tramp96 said:

aggie93 said:

There is a cure. It's called "the truth". Works 100% of the time it's been tried.
Correct, but not for the share holders. If that cable news network went with the truth, sprinkled in with their normal CCP propaganda, they would get massive complaints. More importantly, they would lose viewers, advertisers, and then share price.

That's ALL that matters.
titan
S

The critical point to realize is this low-lifes made a business decision to maximize profits and niche by deliberately dividing the country and creating and emphasizing and covering conflict. On top of that, the vast bulk are solidly aligned with the Democrat agenda and so the division even sides with the more destructive policies.

Have you ever tried a series of screencaps during a week of `news' --- just compared what they choose to emphasize, say on msn.com? And that's hardly the worst. What made these so interesting is they confirmed the bias that is so obvious. In CNN's case you won't even need someone resigning to "out" their agenda -- they do it themselves and have.

titan
S

Maybe you missed the fact that this monetizing conflict actually applies to all of the big media. And there is no denying it is going on. Some are just far worse than others -- CNN is leagues worse than ABC.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.