Visited an Orthodox church today

1,481 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by one MEEN Ag
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I visited an Antiochian Orthodox church today in Grand Rapids. This was much different than when I had visited in College Station.

What a powerful time. The connectedness that I felt to the ancient church through the Divine Liturgy, the iconography, and even the Communion (which I didn't partake of since I'm not Orthodox) just left me with a sense of awe that I'm still processing.

And it was the first time I'd ever heard the Cherubic Hymn and just found it almost hauntingly beautiful. Everything just seems to draw one closer to God.

Also, everyone was so kind and welcoming. I love how they sat me with someone to help explain things to me, and 3 different people brought some of the blessed bread to me as they received Communion.
swimmerbabe11
They let you partake in communion?
I don't think open communion is a thing for EO?

Or is he bread not considered part of the sacrament if its not offered during the liturgy?
TSJ
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Or is he bread not considered part of the sacrament if its not offered during the liturgy?

So during the preparation, I believe during Orthros, the leavened bread is prepared and the center section is removed for communion. The remainder is divided and given out after communion to both Orthodox and any present. It's blessed, but is not the body and blood of Christ.

CrackerJackAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I don't think it is open for any group that believes it is the actual body and blood of Christ.

If it's a "remembrance" to your church then it's not as big of a deal obviously and can be open.

It's not exclusionary to be mean. It's just treated and believed to be two different things with differing degrees of importance and holiness.
PacifistAg
AG
TSJ said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

So during the preparation, I believe during Orthros, the leavened bread is prepared and the center section is removed for communion. The remainder is divided and given out after communion to both Orthodox and any present. It's blessed, but is not the body and blood of Christ.

This. It was explained to be that it is blessed, but not consecrated. Consecrated is for Communion, and I don't believe the blessed bread is considered the "body and blood".
one MEEN Ag
AG
Hey glad you got to enjoy an orthodox church!

And PacifistAg did nothing wrong. He didn't partake in communion. Of the loaf, the center is added to the communion cup. The rest of the bread (called blessed bread) is distributed after communion and anyone can partake. They only ask that you treat the bread as holy and respect it by eating it and not throwing it away or crumble it onto the ground (which was observed).

Partaking in communion is for orthodox christians who have participated in the cycle of repentance through recent confession and have prepared themselves through prayer, fasting, and almsgiving.

The daily, weekly, seasonal, and yearly cycles of the orthodox church are the heartbeat of theosis. I hope and pray that all of y'all come taste and see.

one MEEN Ag
AG
My favorite choir hymn during Divine Liturgy is the Trisagion.

When our church gets the full choir going it sounds like the background music of a movie preparing for a big scene. It is very moving, powerful, and peaceful.

I have yet to find a youtube recording that can replicate the energy of being there on Sunday mornings and hearing it in person. If someone out there has one, I'd happily listen to it.

As someone who was raised on praise and worship music being KSBJ hits, there is so much more fullness to these hymns.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.