Vaccines and Compelled Altruism

17,241 Views | 173 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ramblin_ag02
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The problem is it's not only self harm potential if you don't vaccinate. There are people who can't take vaccines who are put at risk by the idiots who do not vaccinate. If it really was just themselves they were harming (like seatbelts) it would be different.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Vaccines are only fully effective if the community fully vaccinated.

I am all for regulating vaccines in order to receive public goods. Want to send your kids to public school, better be current. Want to receive govt assistance, shots better be current.

I'm also in favor of personal liberty and people choosing to excommunicate themselves into an area of like minded unvaccinated groups and forming their own schools and not associating with the other 99% of society.

Just don't come back and infect our herd with your middle age diseases.
Zobel
AG
Spot on.
swimmerbabe11
I struggle with this.

Vaccination is great. All good. Should be done.

However, I have serious misgivings about the government mandating that someone inject you with anything. I don't like it. I'm not comfortable with it.

But everyone should vaccinate.

But the government forcing you to get poked with a needle at the point of a gun.... gives me the icks.
swimmerbabe11
It's not about the needle, it is about the government forcing you to put something in your body. The method of delivery isn't really important.

How much do you trust the gov to choose what vaccines are worth threatening you over? Crazy slippery slope, I know... but this is a road to some real dystopian stuff with mass sterilization or other crazy nonsense. The government has no business dictating mandatory medical procedures of any kind. It's just not a power that I'm okay with letting them have.
swimmerbabe11
I'm learning tonight....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/iaomt.org/top-ten-reasons-oppose-water-fluoridation/amp/

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/magazine/magazine_article/fluoridated-drinking-water/

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
While I agree with your sentiment swimmer, and do share some of the same concerns... I do have to fall back and ask If by government, you mean a collection of representatives chosen to enact laws and norms for their reespective constituents, then how is it being done by force or mandate.

If someone truly believes that vaccines are bad and unsafe, are they not free to disassociate from the rest of the vaccinated society and gonform a new one.
craigernaught
AG
People shouldn't be required to vaccinate. But, I have a difficult time understanding why not vaccinating your kids is all that different than other forms of neglect, or how not being vaccinated is all that different than unnecessarily risky behavior like speeding. The state rightly restricts such behavior.

I would certainly ban all kids who aren't properly vaccinated from school excluding those who are immunocompromised.
swimmerbabe11
I would deal with it like dogs i suppose..cant take your dogs hardly anywhere without their vaccination papers. Not a perfect solution, but liberty always adds risk.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I would deal with it like dogs i suppose..cant take your dogs hardly anywhere without their vaccination papers. Not a perfect solution, but liberty always adds risk.

Forgive my ignorance, but is that due to private industries self imposing a health regulation in order for you to bring a dog into their establishment, or is there a state regulation (either thru law or insurance regulations)!requiring private industries like dog groomers, boarders, Daycare's to require current vaccination records from clients?
swimmerbabe11
Private industry I believe
PacifistAg
AG
I have no issues w/ vaccinations. Our kids are vaccinated. I have an issue with the state mandating vaccinations. Shocking, I know.
swimmerbabe11
AstroAg17 said:

I mean, the prevailing opinion is that opposition to the fluoridation of water is ridiculous. That was supposed to be an extreme example on which we would obviously agree.

I'm not highly educated on the subject, so I googled "water flouridation". Those were in the top 5 results. Shrug.
Kool
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

It's not about the needle, it is about the government forcing you to put something in your body. The method of delivery isn't really important.

How much do you trust the gov to choose what vaccines are worth threatening you over? Crazy slippery slope, I know... but this is a road to some real dystopian stuff with mass sterilization or other crazy nonsense. The government has no business dictating mandatory medical procedures of any kind. It's just not a power that I'm okay with letting them have.

I totally understand what Swimmy is saying. I try not to be a conspiracy theorist, but the same government that uprooted and marched American Indians along the Trail of Tears, that didn't treat Black men infected with syphillis in Tuskegee (while telling them that they were being treated), that told us thalidomide was safe to give to pregnant women, and that told us that Vietnam was winnable and that we were winning it, is telling me that I need to give my 1-2 month old child a Hepatitis B vaccine which protects against a virus spread through blood or sexual contact. I think it bears some thought.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I'm learning tonight....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/iaomt.org/top-ten-reasons-oppose-water-fluoridation/amp/

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/magazine/magazine_article/fluoridated-drinking-water/
I didn't read the links, but any time I see anything about fluoride, I immediately think of this:

Post removed:
by user
Kool
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Nobody knew thalidomide was teratogenic.

And some day we may find out that vaccines (or, more possibly, overwhelming an immature immune system with a huge number of antigens all at once because our vaccination schedule has ramped up so rapidly) can have harmful side effects in susceptible individuals . All good and well if they're a free choice we can make as was thalidomide. Not so great if we are forced to partake via a government agency. Is the existence of the National Vaccination Injury Compensation Program not, in some ways, a tacit admission that some WILL be hurt by vaccines?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Kool
AG
Google is your friend. It isn't hard to not be an idiot.

And here we are, TexAgs at its finest. Good night.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
ramblin_ag02
AG
AstroAg17 said:

You guys are the strangest group IMO. The ones who think the inoculation process itself matters. It's a needle, you'll be fine. Grow up.

And yet people view oral and nasal vaccines much more positively. People really do think needles are icky.

I'm absolutely convinced that a large part of the anti-vaccine movement is comprised of parents who don't want their kids to get stuck with needles. I've had some straight up tell me that. They don't want their child to suffer no matter what possible good it could do. If all vaccines were nasal sprays or harmless parches, I'd wager money the anti-vaccine movement would dry up in a week
Star Wars Memes Only
AstroAg17 said:

How do y'all feel about mandatory vaccination? Should we compel people to save lives even if they incorrectly believe they're being harmed?

Texas is one of the worst states as far as vaccination is concerned, but I think the argument for personal choice is pretty strong. Still, we make loons take their kids to the doctor even if they believe doctors are evil. What's the difference between the two situations?

I'm against the idea of the government compelling you to medicate yourself or your child.
ramblin_ag02
AG
On most things I'm the same way. But idea of protecting the population from infectious diseases is as old as the Old Testament, and quarantines go back a long way. If we're going to live as a society, then this is one of the infringements on liberty we'll have to live with. Also, the history of people not caring two bits about the health and safety of others is common and also well-documented, mostly famously by typhoid Mary

At this point I'm pretty much of the opinion that vaccines should be mandatory for public life. So schools, jobs interacting with the public, concerts, sports events, malls, public transport, cruises, and such are for the vaccinated or genuinely medically exempt. Every unvaccinated person should be isolated or live in a community of unvaccinated people, and they should not be allowed in public spaces
ETFan
swimmerbabe11 said:

I'm learning tonight....

It's too bad this forum doesn't have a "neg" feature. Awful articles.

The down-thumb will have to do.
Star Wars Memes Only
I think the minimum standard for the government to rightfully violate your bodily autonomy (or parental autonomy as bodily autonomy by proxy for a minor) is that there exists a substantial and imminent threat to another person or group of people, and that society mandates it as your responsibility to ensure that threat not materialize.

In the case of not vaccinating the threat to life is substantial, so that clause is met. But I don't think it meets the other two.

By not being vaccinated I may get ill. I may infect another. Maybe someone who I infect will die. Maybe not. Maybe nothing will happen. The threat of death or maiming, which is what I would consider substantial, being caused by me not getting vaccinated is relatively small. Because of this I don't consider the threat to be imminent.

Has society mandated that we, as individuals, have a responsibility to ensure others stay healthy? I hope people would take that responsibility on themselves. But whether or not it's a social mandate, I don't know. I personally don't think it should be.

Should the government step in to save a child's life because parents refuse to medicate? Well, there is a substantial threat, as the child may die. And parent do have a responsibility to ensure the well-being of their children. So as long as the threat is imminent I would say yes, the government should intercede.

So yes, I was too broad in my initial post. But I don't think vaccines should be compulsory, and I do think the government may rightfully intercede on a child's behalf when his parents refuse to give him life-saving drugs.
ETFan
dargscisyhp said:

I think the minimum standard for the government to rightfully violate your bodily autonomy (or parental autonomy as bodily autonomy by proxy for a minor) is that there exists a substantial and imminent threat to another person or group of people, and that society mandates it as your responsibility to ensure that threat not materialize.

In the case of not vaccinating the threat to life is substantial, so that clause is met. But I don't think it meets the other two.

By not being vaccinated I may get ill. I may infect another. Maybe someone who I infect will die. Maybe not. Maybe nothing will happen. The threat of death or maiming, which is what I would consider substantial, being caused by me not getting vaccinated is relatively small. Because of this I don't consider the threat to be imminent.

Has society mandated that we, as individuals, have a responsibility to ensure others stay healthy? I hope people would take that responsibility on themselves. But whether or not it's a social mandate, I don't know. I personally don't think it should be.

Should the government step in to save a child's life because parents refuse to medicate? Well, there is a substantial threat, as the child may die. And parent do have a responsibility to ensure the well-being of their children. So as long as the threat is imminent I would say yes, the government should intercede.

So yes, I was too broad in my initial post. But I don't think vaccines should be compulsory, and I do think the government may rightfully intercede on a child's behalf when his parents refuse to give him life-saving drugs.
Immunocompromised persons.

Vaccines are harmless, stop.
Star Wars Memes Only
ETFan said:

dargscisyhp said:

What isn't harmless, on the other hand, is government overreach.

I'm not sure how your comments address my post at all.
ETFan
dargscisyhp said:

ETFan said:

dargscisyhp said:

What isn't harmless, on the other hand, is government overreach. Which is really what my post was about. I'm not sure how your comments address my post.
Quote:

I don't think vaccines should be compulsory
I addressed that, they should be. For the sake of people that can't vaccinate. It's simple, drop the government hubbub, it's irrelevant. Everyone should vaccinate that can.

EDIT: You're arguing that people shouldn't wear seatbelts. It's exactly he same, ignoring the fact that an unbelted person will kill everyone else in the car.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.