P - Good read on Richard Spencer

7,685 Views | 226 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by americathegreat1492
BusterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/06/his-kampf/524505/

A high school classmate of his went out to visit with him and talk about his transformation from spoiled Dallas rich kid to the face of the alt-right. Very interesting read.

The part of the story that I think is most interesting is that his transformation started with Nietzsche, yet he still defends Christian values (even though he admits to being an atheist).

Why is Spencer's view of the world wrong? He is against violence, but thinks that people of different races aught to be more overt in their preference for and protection of each other?

(I am not a racist, and do not agree with Spencer; but, I find the argument against his ideas to be interesting, and sometimes troubelingly thin).
Texaggie7nine
His argument is nothing but false pride based off of accomplishments of people who happen to share his skin color coupled with unintelligent grouping of people he doesn't like by skin color.

The only reason he has a voice is because the left media wants to make him the spokesman for the right because they figure that's what everyone on the right already believes.
7nine
BusterAg
AG
Ok, so ignore the idea that he believes that white people are better than other people. Focus on the idea that people of race should aggregate and protect other people of their own race.

What is the philosophical argument against that as a worldview? It's wrong, but, why?
Post removed:
by user
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

Focus on the idea that people of race should aggregate and protect other people of their own race.
Why? Just because your skin color is the same as mine, why should that facilitate any preference of favoring you over anyone who doesn't have the same skin color? It's a completely ignorant view of the world.

There could be an argument made when it comes to culture. Some cultures just don't mix, that's a non PC thing to say that is true. But culture is not connected to skin color in anything other than the mind. Genetics does not determine your culture.
7nine
Sapper Redux
His ideas on race are the thinnest of pretenses. Drawing barriers around ideas or traditions always says more about the person drawing the boundaries than it does about historical reality. "Europe" as we know it today is a pretty new idea, like 19th century new. Before that race was defined much in the same way we would define ethnicity today. Europe having a shared history is really new, like WWI new. "Western Civilization" as a college focus grew out of American involvement in WWI as a way to justify our intervention. The idea of a "Judeo-Christian heritage" became popular before American involvement in WWII.

In short, Spencer's ideas are an amalgam of Nazi notions of race, American notions of race, and ill-defined ideas of a unified continental culture that were created for propaganda purposes.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

In short, Spencer's ideas are an amalgam of Nazi notions of race, American notions of race, and ill-defined ideas of a unified continental culture that were created for propaganda purposes.
I would say that's true of all notions of race. They're all just cumulative social constructs without any real basis in biology other than some variation in non-essential traits.

The rise of Spencer's ideas are predictable based on the current social climate. When it comes to race, the acceptable options are 1) Be a minority and proud of your heritage -or- 2) Be white and ashamed of your heritage. I could see that attraction to the idea of being white and proud instead of white and ashamed.

Personally though, I feel that taking pride from my genetics or from the accomplishments of other people who I think are like me is stupid.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
americathegreat1492
Texaggie7nine said:

There could be an argument made when it comes to culture. Some cultures just don't mix, that's a non PC thing to say that is true. But culture is not connected to skin color in anything other than the mind. Genetics does not determine your culture.
This is about the only thing that seems reasonable. I think what is happening with Spencer and others is a conflation of race and culture. Seems like Spencer and others assume race causes culture, when the greater likelihood is something like geography of residence during your lifespan is a much greater contributing factor. I personally blame these kinds of people on the left. If they weren't trying to force identity politics down everyone's throats, people like Spencer wouldn't have a following.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

I personally blame these kinds of people on the left. If they weren't trying to force identity politics down everyone's throats, people like Spencer wouldn't have a following.
I get what you're saying, but people like Spencer and those that follow him are to blame for what they believe. I understand pushing back against what is perceived as having "identity politics" forced on you, but they make the decision to counter that by embracing a fear-based and reprehensible worldview.
americathegreat1492
For sure. The only party ultimately responsible for your behavior is you, generally speaking.

Regarding the emotional motivations of people like Spencer, I'd have to do more research to decide if it was a fear based motivation. I hate to jump directly from Spencer to Hitler, but I suppose it's the best example given the similarities. Hitler's Nazism was certainly not fear-based if you read a lot of the language he used to describe his perceived problems with the Jews. Obviously, it was pathological, but I don't conclude it was centered in fear. It appears more to be a pathology of extreme orderliness.
Seamaster
AG
Identity Politics in all shapes and colors is divisive and wrong.

He's wrong for the same reason that BLM is wrong. That's irony.
Sapper Redux
Seamaster said:

Identity Politics in all shapes and colors is divisive and wrong.

He's wrong for the same reason that BLM is wrong. That's irony.

BLM actually has a grievance. The criminal justice system has racial issues. Spencer has no grievance.
Solo Tetherball Champ

Quote:

The rise of Spencer's ideas are predictable based on the current social climate. When it comes to race, the acceptable options are 1) Be a minority and proud of your heritage -or- 2) Be white and ashamed of your heritage. I could see that attraction to the idea of being white and proud instead of white and ashamed.
So much this.

I remember sitting in a sociology course years ago and listening to lectures that covered points 1 and 2. I remember thinking three things are going to result from this:

1 - You hear it and believe that minorities should be proud and whites should be ashamed.
2 - You hear it but flip it around and declare that you're white & proud (though not necessarily racist)
3 - You realize that both positions are utterly ridiculous.

I sit at position 3. Now, I firmly believe that position 2 is just as repugnant as position 1, but position 2 only exists because position 1 has been thrown in our faces for so long. After having seen #1 for so long, my gut is to not do anything to pushback against 2, because in my mind it is exactly the same as 1.

Quote:

Personally though, I feel that taking pride from my genetics or from the accomplishments of other people who I think are like me is stupid.
Right? Should I feel ashamed at people who looked like me because of colonization, transatlantic slave trade, etc? I could just as easily feel proud that people who looked at me were able to do that whereas other peoples ancestors still considered sharp sticks to the be the most advanced weaponry. Point is, it's all BS.
Post removed:
by user
Sapper Redux
Even controlling for income, age, and a multitude of other variables, there is still a strong disparity in the sentencing of white vs black offenders and a disparity in the likelihood of being arrested.
americathegreat1492
AstroAg17 said:

Does the justice system actually have documented racial issues? I don't know of anything non-anecdotal to suggest that, but I've never looked into it.
I'm pretty sure it does, but I'm not certain of specifics. Men vs. women is a similar issue actually. It appears that judges aren't capable of being as "unbiased" as we'd like them to be, though they aren't the only reason why you might see differences in sentencing.
Duncan Idaho
I have more in common with a second generation mexican than I do with anyone in Europe, much less Germany or Scotland
Post removed:
by user
Sapper Redux
The movement started over police brutality, and in my opinion they harm their message by focusing too much on one aspect of the criminal justice system. I think they should really push on the systemic problems that lead to confrontations and the big problems that occur after an arrest is made.
Zobel
AG
A common western inheritance is much more relevant in a global economy. Watson, your view is a bit tough to align. We don't know how much we share in common until we meet people who have no common background. So with the rise of globalism, the rise of a common westernism is actually kind of understandable.

The enlightenment thinkers viewed themselves as the heirs to not only the classical philosophers but also the Romans such as Tacitus and renaissance thinkers. And the Americans viewed themselves as the heirs to their worldview, plus new contributions from Sydney and the like.

That may not be a racial inheritance but it is a bond of sorts that is not shared by non-westerners. How you fix that I don't know, but even simple bedrock concepts like the existence of absolute good and evil are absent from people who don't have a cultural link to Plato (like Japanese folks for example).

I think we have a genetic / predisposed tendency to self segregate. I think that culture can reinforce or reduce this. But it's frankly not supportable to say that a) all races have a common genetic inheritance and that b) all cultures are of equal value. In many ways Spencer is a reaction to these two core fundamental tenets of globalism / progressivism.
americathegreat1492
k2aggie07 said:

A common western inheritance is much more relevant in a global economy. Watson, your view is a bit tough to align. We don't know how much we share in common until we meet people who have no common background. So with the rise of globalism, the rise of a common westernism is actually kind of understandable.

The enlightenment thinkers viewed themselves as the heirs to not only the classical philosophers but also the Romans such as Tacitus and renaissance thinkers. And the Americans viewed themselves as the heirs to their worldview, plus new contributions from Sydney and the like.

That may not be a racial inheritance but it is a bond of sorts that is not shared by non-westerners. How you fix that I don't know, but even simple bedrock concepts like the existence of absolute good and evil are absent from people who don't have a cultural link to Plato (like Japanese folks for example).

I think we have a genetic / predisposed tendency to self segregate. I think that culture can reinforce or reduce this. But it's frankly not supportable to say that a) all races have a common genetic inheritance and that b) all cultures are of equal value. In many ways Spencer is a reaction to these two core fundamental tenets of globalism / progressivism.
You know, I think I can get behind the idea that people who lived in America, Canada, and parts of Western Europe for the last ,say, 20 generations, have a common underlying background in terms of ideas. I've listened to and read a hell of a lot in my life, but what I have yet to see is someone lay out the rationale for that conclusion. I think this would be a really interesting topic. A lot of times people on these forums post about the "Judeo-Christian" foundation of America. In my estimation, the former thing I described is what they mean. It sounds reasonable to me given the similarities between Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Greek, and Christian myths, but I sense there is a lot of push back on that idea from all sides. What is your interpretation of these statements, and what do you conclude?
Zobel
AG
I don't know what similarities between Mesopotamian Greek Egyptian and Christian myths. The Mediterranean peoples generally shared a pretty go along to get along approach to polytheism (oh your call your god of war mars? Must be the same dude we call ares etc). But that's about as far as the similarities go.

Before you go to post some ridiculous internet meme about Jesus and some resurrection God from Egypt.. please spare everyone that ignorant tripe. TIA.
Post removed:
by user
americathegreat1492
k2aggie07 said:

I don't know what similarities between Mesopotamian Greek Egyptian and Christian myths. The Mediterranean peoples generally shared a pretty go along to get along approach to polytheism (oh your call your god of war mars? Must be the same dude we call ares etc). But that's about as far as the similarities go.

Before you go to post some ridiculous internet meme about Jesus and some resurrection God from Egypt.. please spare everyone that ignorant tripe. TIA.
Not sure why you would predict this of me. I legitimately believe that Mesopotamian myths are early versions of Christian/Judian myths. That is not to invalidate any of them as "wrong." In my opinion, the Christian/Judian versions are evolved, more powerful versions of the Mesopotamian.
americathegreat1492
AstroAg17 said:

Mary is based on Rah, god of the sun.
I'm trying to have a legitimate discussion. Mary is not Ra.
Sapper Redux
k2aggie07 said:

How is it not supportable to say that all races have a common genetic inheritance? That's easily established. The idea that all cultures are of equal value is something of a conservative straw man. Multiculturalism doesn't hold that there is exact equivalence where issues of human rights are involved. It's intended to counter the old imperialist views that cultures are part of a linear evolution from "savage" to "civilized." Multiculturalism is intended to encourage a broader dialogue between groups to prevent conflicts simply based on a reflexive dislike of certain traditions. Is it taken too far by some people? Absolutely.

As for the Enlightenment, that was very much a philosophical brotherhood. Diderot, for example, would have felt greater brotherhood with Hume than with the archbishop of Paris. It's hard to see that taken to a racial perspective encompassing all Europeans. It may be a part of a constructed identity, but whiteness was already an existing concept by the 18th century. It just had very different parameters than it does today.
americathegreat1492
I'd agree with a good chunk of that. What do you think about the statement that western civilization shares an underlying foundation of belief and virtues? Of course, such a thing might have some dissimilarities over time, but the underlying foundation being relatively consistent.
BusterAg
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Do you agree that he's racist, and that racism is bad?

He is a racist, and in a hateful way, and that is bad.
Quote:

I don't think his belief in the superiority of whites and his desire for segregation are independent or separable.
Why not?

Ok, so ignore Spencer. If I were to tell you that I am having trouble finding a logical critique to this statement: "White Anglo-Saxon Protestants should be proud of their heritage, and advocate for the well-being of WASPs and the success of our culture"
BusterAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

Focus on the idea that people of race should aggregate and protect other people of their own race.
Why? Just because your skin color is the same as mine, why should that facilitate any preference of favoring you over anyone who doesn't have the same skin color? It's a completely ignorant view of the world.

So, even Spencer admits this. Race, in his mind, is a lot more about culture than skin color, although genetics do play a role.

So, what is the moral critique against WASCs advocating that WASPs are great, and have lead to many of the great things in this world, and we should be nicer to WASPs?

This is not Spencer's message, admittedly. He is very, very far down the road of WASPs are way better than everyone else, and the world should be run by WASPs. That is despicable.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

"White Anglo-Saxon Protestants should be proud of their heritage, and advocate for the well-being of WASPs and the success of our culture"

Let's analyze if any of that had to do with their success.

Being white? No. It is asinine to thing that having white skin makes one more successful.

Being Anglo-Saxon? Sharing a common heritage with people from the area of Great Britain has what to do with success? Great Britain's biggest factor in being so dominate is the fact that it is an island and much easier to defend than being land locked. So where does having genes that come from that region help you be successful in life? It doesn't.

Being Protestant? Well let's see, looking at how successful the RCC has been and the accomplishments of people throughout history with RCC heritage, I don't see anywhere particularly that being Protestant gives you anything to be particularly proud about.

So none of these things actually made western society the successful culture that it is today. None of those things made the USA the great nation that it is.

Why would you see any need to be particularly proud of or particularly more protective of those things if not for primitive tribal reasons?
7nine
Texaggie7nine
Methinks you have been hanging out with Bustup too much.

7nine
americathegreat1492
I did a little research on Spencer and tried to get a feel for his positions and motivations in his own words. He is, for all intents and purposes, a baby Hitler. Like Hitler, he wants an ethnic national state. Like Hitler, he believes in the superiority of a particular race. He uses many of the same metaphors and words the Nazi party used. For example, he characterizes immigrants as a "disease," which is the same metaphor Hitler used for the Jews. He borrows the term Luegenpresse, an insult leveled at the "lying press." What makes him a baby Hitler is that, as far as I can tell, he denies calling for violence, genocide, or subjugation of other races when asked about it directly. I also consider him a baby Hitler because none of these ideas are his own. He seems to think himself an intellectual, but he is simply borrowing someone else's ideas.
americathegreat1492
AstroAg17 said:

Everyone borrows ideas. It doesn't mean one isn't an intellectual. If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Nobody is smart enough to construct a consistent modern philosophy "from scratch" in my opinion.
Sure. I don't see any evidence that even the tiniest bit of Spencer's ideas are original.
7thGenTexan
AG
Dr. Watson said:

His ideas on race are the thinnest of pretenses. Drawing barriers around ideas or traditions always says more about the person drawing the boundaries than it does about historical reality. "Europe" as we know it today is a pretty new idea, like 19th century new. Before that race was defined much in the same way we would define ethnicity today. Europe having a shared history is really new, like WWI new. "Western Civilization" as a college focus grew out of American involvement in WWI as a way to justify our intervention. The idea of a "Judeo-Christian heritage" became popular before American involvement in WWII.

Guess how I know you're white. 7nine too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.