Christian Jakarta Governor ‘Ahok’ Jailed for Blasphemy

837 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Jack Boyett
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

The minority Christian governor of Jakarta was sentenced to two years in prison on Tuesday for blaspheming the Quran, a jarring ruling that undermines the reputation of the world's largest Muslim nation for practicing a moderate form of Islam.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/jakarta-governor-ahok-jailed-blasphemy-over-viral-video-n756711

The blasphemy?

Quote:

On 27 September 2016, in a speech in front of citizens of Thousand Islands, Basuki noted that some citizens would not vote for him because they are being "deceived using Verse 51 of Al Maidah and variations of it," referring to a verse that some groups have cited as grounds to oppose him. The provincial government of Jakarta uploaded the video recording to YouTube in a channel which often feature Basuki's activities. Citizens and pundits criticized Basuki's statement, considering it an insult on the Quran.

Quote:

On October 10, 2016, Basuki publicly apologized to those he offended with his statement, stating that it was not his intention to do so, and that some of his policies that he said had benefited Muslims, such granting permits for Islamic schools, providing Jakarta Smart Cards (KJP) to the students, and building a mosque in the City Hall complex. He also pointed out that during his September 7 speech in the Thousand Islands in which he mentioned Surah al-Maidah, verse 51 of the Quran, the residents were not insulted, and even laughed during his recitation.
Create Account
Very sad. I hope he finds peace in prison. I remember in the Muslim ask me anything thread that this type of stuff only happens in a specific denomination of Islam (mostly in Saudi Arabia). Is that what is in Indonesia? I thought it was "moderate."
Jack Boyett
AG
Moderate is 2 years in prison. Extreme is, uh, worse than that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.