Why millennials are leaving the church

1,474 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Skubalon
chuckd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
This will lead to a generation who reject the "spiritual, but not religious" generation (baby boomers) and seek a very particular religion with all its traditions (RCs, EOs, Anglican, etc.). This will be the most authentic postmodern. (43 min)

LOL! Keep dreaming of your Calvinist Utopia because dreamland is the only place you'll see it.

I'm sorry 7thgen, I had to dig up this quote after I read this CNN article.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/27/why-millennials-are-leaving-the-church/

Many of us, myself included, are finding ourselves increasingly drawn to high church traditions – Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, the Episcopal Church, etc. – precisely because the ancient forms of liturgy seem so unpretentious, so unconcerned with being “cool,” and we find that refreshingly authentic.
chuckd
AG
diehard03
I read this article this week and laughed at this quote:

quote:
Many of us, myself included, are finding ourselves increasingly drawn to high church traditions – Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, the Episcopal Church, etc. – precisely because the ancient forms of liturgy seem so unpretentious, so unconcerned with being “cool,” and we find that refreshingly authentic.

it's a very human reaction to overcorrect in this manner. But, eventually, the same problems with High Church will remain, and the cycle will begin again...
Frok
AG
They want Jesus without Paul.
7thGenTexan
AG
Nothing in that piece leads me to believe that young people are increasing in church attendance whether it be non denominational type churches or traditional high church.

As far as a movement toward merging ecclesiastical and civil authorities (I've forgotten your word for this), this article is suggesting that young people want away from political Christianity.

I still wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a Calvinist government
chuckd
AG
quote:
As far as a movement toward merging ecclesiastical and civil authorities (I've forgotten your word for this)

Has nothing to do with the article (why would you be looking for it?), but that would be the Erastian or Papal Principle, depending on which authority you think should govern the other. Maybe a topic for another thread considering this is about a postmodern critique of the baby boomers' religion...nothing to do with civil government whatsoever.

I just found it interesting that a CNN article wrote almost verbatim what I presented two weeks ago.
7thGenTexan
AG
You posted an exchange between the two of us from an earlier thread where I was challenging the notion that we would ever have the type of government you hope for. I see nothing in your latest article that would change my mind, and I see no hard statistics that millennials are generally heading back to church of any kind.
chuckd
AG
quote:
You posted an exchange between the two of us from an earlier thread where I was challenging the notion that we would ever have the type of government you hope for.

The quote was from here:
http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2332686&forum_id=15

There was no "exchange." I simply ignored your comment because it had absolutely nothing to do with the topic.
7thGenTexan
AG
This is a little creepy on your part, but you can't erase the memories of people each time you start a new topic. You were talking about the biases involved in post-modernism for a reason I suppose. And I'm sure the notion that post-modern rationality is not "sustainable" is appealing to you for a reason.

Your coy game is wearing thin.

[This message has been edited by 7thGenTexan (edited 7/30/2013 11:22a).]
chuckd
AG
?? What are you talking about? Postmodernity simply calls into question, among other things, the notion that someone can be purely rational. That one must rid himself of all prior commitments before entering into rational discourse. To the religious, this means they can't be religious if they want to be rational.

If this modern notion is impossible (skip Derrida), then prior commitments are welcome in the rational sphere. In Christianity, this is being fleshed out in Radical Orthodoxy, a project that includes Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and Reformed alike. This is the only "appealing" I was doing.
7thGenTexan
AG
Appealing as in adjective, not verb.

You have taken several different approaches to your desire for theocracy (regardless of what you call it), whether saying we can't examine evidence objectively without the blur of the worldview lens; or saying we all operate on faith; or that no matter what the laws are, they are based on what amounts to religious beliefs (even if the claim is secular humanism),etc.

It's not really important to me as you are living in fantasy land.

[This message has been edited by 7thGenTexan (edited 7/30/2013 11:46a).]
7thGenTexan
AG
I almost forgot:

nu awlins ag
AG
quote:
type of government you hope for.
there are a few remote places left here, I suggest you move there and form your own government.
Skubalon
http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/trevinwax/2013/08/01/why-millennials-are-leaving-the-church-a-response-to-rachel-held-evans/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.