How could you have brought us to this insane place?

711 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by jkotinek
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So what does a San Antonio Baptist pastor do with his Sundays when he is on sabbatical? Why he visits an Orthodox Church of course!

Not for Lightweights

quote:
On the way we warned them that this was going to be different. “They might not have changed their worship service much in a thousand years or so,” I told the girls.

That was an understatement.

Saint Anthony the Great isn't just old school. It's "styli and wax tablets" old school. We arrived ten minutes early for worship and the room was already filled with people lighting candles and praying. There was one greeter. I said, “We don’t know what to do.” She handed me a liturgy book and waved us inside.

Pews? We don’t need no stinking pews! Providing seats for worshipers is SO 14th century.

Oops, forgot to add the follow up visit; Saint Anthony the Great part 2

[This message has been edited by jkag89 (edited 6/6/2009 9:31p).]
primrose
jkag, what a nice surprise to wake up
and see this.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am geing ready to read, "At the Corner of East and Now", writen by the wife of one of the priests mentioned in the comments section.

BTW, in the GO, we have pews, and padded kneelers, too. Light-weights!

Thanks a lot,jkag
TheFirebird
AG
quote:
Saint Anthony the Great isn't just old school. It's "styli and wax tablets" old school.

I note in the photos that many ladies aren't wearing head coverings...so he hasn't gone quite as old-school as you can get.....

Great find. Loved reading it.
jkotinek
AG
Thanks jk! (could've sworn last night when I read this that opk posted it. Apologies!)

This was a much-needed spiritual refreshment tonight.

St. Anthony the Great is where I go when I find myself in San Antonio for the weekend. I went there once several years ago because St. Anthony is special for my family. It really is a very lovely and inviting place.

[This message has been edited by jkotinek (edited 6/10/2009 2:47p).]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.