13th Man Documentary

4,443 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Thomas Sowell, PhD
Howdy101
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw on Facebook a video posted by Kia Roundtree from the Off Campus Hogs (thank you for posting) about the 13th Man film featuring Charlie Mann about John Comstock.

Mr. Mann starts off saying Bonfire started on campus in 1909. It actually started in 1907 off campus. Not trying to critize him, just letting him know. I'm very happy to hear that John is still Pro Bonfire and would love to go see it burn.

Now it was mentioned in that discussion that the topic of Bonfire has faded on campus, which to me it has. The discussion also mentions that the Aggie Student Bonfire off campus isn't the same, which I disagree with. Aggie students started the Traditionb A&M stepped in to help, and now because of the accident, A&M no longer was part of it, so several former students formed a non-profit organization to continue it.

I really applaud John for being part of this and helping tell the story, especially with him being directly involved/impacted.

John mentioned that he wants this documentary to make sure people never forget and I personally think people won't. Those involved in Student Bonfire stop all work on November 18 each year to honor the 12. Even though I didn't personally know the 12, i have such a passion for Bonfire and what it stands for that i feel I've got closer to those died/injured because of all this.

It's the students that make Texas A&M so great and unique. The A&M system stopped holding the annual Bonfire ceremony after the ten year anniversary. Its the students that gather at the Memorial year after year to honor those affected.

To me, it's not called Texas A&M Bonfire (A&M didnt built it, it just happened to be on land owned by them). The students built it, the students STILL build it, still put all they have into it, making sure its build and burned every year (especially now for the fallen).

It's Aggie Bonfire...built by Aggies for Aggies.

Thank you John Comstock for sharing your story, educating those that weren't around, and being a good role model for this. It was an honor to finally be able to meet you.

The 12 will NEVER be forgotten and they live on in Aggie Student Bonfire (in my opinion).

Thanks, Gig'em, and build the hell outta Aggie Bonfire 2019!
Grits
johnnyblaze36
AG
Do you have a link to this video?

I was walking out of Reed last night and we passed by a guy in a wheel chair and another person was introducing them to someone else and said "He is a survivor of the Bonfire accident".

I looked at my Mom and said "Can you believe that we are already coming up on the 20th anniversary of the fall?". She couldn't believe it.
Howdy101
That would be him, yes.

The video is https://www.facebook.com/groups/offcampushogs/?multi_permalinks=10157781274936108%2C10157778963211108%2C10157779683451108%2C10157767234751108%2C10157761247506108¬if_id=1570499057417580¬if_t=group_activity
johnnyblaze36
Murphag
They're showing it, The 13th Man, at theaters here in Dallas, Mon-Wed. The only ones I can find are the Studio Movie Grills in Arlington and The Colony. Get this, they're showing it at 11pm tonight and tomorrow. Wow
Murphag
Anybody gone to the Arlington or Colony showing? Especially the 11pm last night. They've taken off the 11pm one for tonight. I'm thinking there was probably a yell practice afterward.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
I saw the documentary today. I take for granted a bit just how unique and strong the Aggie spirit is. Outsiders must look at this documentary with shock and awe at the unity shown.
It's a bit hard to watch. I found myself sighing heavy in several places.
Peak moments in the film were 1) the burn victim who gave John Comstock verbal encouragement 2) the death announcement made about John that was prepared and not released 3) the tremendously outstanding people the 12 victims were. They were the cream of the crop.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.