Is Bonfire Ever Going to Come Back??

7,624 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MidTnAg
Strategy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SIAP x10.

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nausem....but I can't understand why being an engineering school we can get a "sponsor" to build it with some level of student involvement.

Bonfire was the greatest tradition in college football, and frankly A&M has been nothing football wise consistently since.

It was a huge separator that made our school special.

Thanks for the responses.
rfvgy12
AG
Germans????
Rongagin71
AG
Only way I'd want a regular season game against tu is if bonfire comes back with it...but bonfire worked well in part because it was at the end of the season in cold weather, and with playoffs now there, doubt if we can work it.
lb3
AG
Disarmer
AG
Www.studentbonfire.com
CharlieBrown17
AG
Bonfire would lose every bit of its soul if it came back to campus.
commando2004
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Bonfire would lose every bit of its soul if it came back to campus.
Especially with the current hyper-PC administration.
TimsParents
S
The stare has made it clear they will not allow it back on campus. When the campus tried to hire a contractor to write a safety manual no insurance company would insure them for that let alone insure a Bonfire case closed!!
Gig'Em & God Bless
TimsParents
S
TimsParents said:

The state has made it clear they will not allow it back on campus. When the campus tried to hire a contractor to write a safety manual no insurance company would insure them for that let alone insure a Bonfire case closed!!
Gig'Em & God Bless
Grits
AG
It's allready back. Come out to a cut or a stack and you'll understand.
Maroon Dawn
AG
The off campus bonfire is fine but it's just life support keeping a brain dead patient "alive"

Soon there will be an entire generation that has never attended a real bonfire and it won't be much longer after that the off campus fades away along with those who participated in the real thing.

It will be remembered as yet another "Old Army Days" tradition that is no longer practiced
Howdy101
Maroon Dawn,

That's your opinion. If you don't think it's the "real" Aggie Bonfire then don't attend.

I'm proud of the Student Bonfire organization for continuing this great tradition.

All that's happened is the location has moved and the University no longer sanctions it, so Student Bonfire does.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Quote:

Soon there will be an entire generation that has never attended a real bonfire and it won't be much longer after that the off campus fades away along with those who participated in the real thing.

You realize Student Bonfire is still alive and kicking while this is already true right?

I'm class of 17, I'm probably one of the last students on campus to remember anything about Bonfire or the Collapse.

I was born in 94, in 98 I was 4 years old. I went to Burn late in the night after the stack had fallen and crowds died out. I BARELY remember that. 99 was supposed to be the first year I saw all of Burn. Instead, one of my youngest, clear memories is the memorial service instead of yell practice that week.

I'm sure there were a few others in the class of 17 with similar memories, maybe even one or two in the class of 18 but there's no way that anyone in 19,20, or the fish class of 21 has any idea of what it was like back then. But they're still out there, waking up early, working hard and making Student Bonfire the same way Ags built the hell outta Bonfire for years before them.

One of the yell boys at the yell practice after the collapse got it right
Quote:

"Everyone's been talking about a modified Yell Practice, but the only thing modified is the location," said Yell Leader Jeff Bailey. "When I think of the Aggie Bonfire, I know what makes it special is the Aggies standing around it.

He was talking about the yell practice that week not being at Burn, but the same idea is still true. It's not where Bonfire happens, its all about those doing it.
trouble
AG
Bonfire is alive and well.

It may not be our Bonfire but I guarantee the spirit still lives in those involved. Come out to burn and see for yourself.
trouble
AG
Love you.
bruno319
AG
The Bonfire site is at OSR and Old Hearne Road, not far from where I live, and has been for at least 10 years now. From the growing line of traffic on Hwy 6 that backs up for miles each year, this student-maintained tradition is only continuing to grow! Been out to burn several times over the years. It will never be the same as the on-campus Bonfire. I remember ESPN coming out and filming, tailgating when it was by Duncan, and I was working overnight at a local hospital the night it fell. However, they have kept the infrastructure ... the pots and hierarchy, etc. These kids have shown that burning desire for A&M and keeping this tradition alive as best they can with limited resources. I encourage all old Ags to try and come at least once, bring your families. I support the students through Friends of the Fire, their donation option. Here is the link should anyone else be interested in donating and helping them continue on: http://www.studentbonfire.com/friends-of-the-fire/donate/
WaltonAg18
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

The off campus bonfire is fine but it's just life support keeping a brain dead patient "alive"

It will be remembered as yet another "Old Army Days" tradition that is no longer practiced
It only takes one spark to build a flame, and if I've learned anything at my time here at A&M, it's that the spirit of bonfire burns bright, even if it has taken another form. Obviously the days of reds eating roadkill stew and clearing out bars are long gone, but tradition is kept as best as it can.
Thymes
Not only is Student Bonfire a "real" Bonfire, but I'd venture to say that in some aspects it's better than its on-campus predecessor.

We all learned, to our horror after the tragedy, that Aggie Bonfire had no set of blueprints and no reliable engineering supervision. Each year, they were building it from oral pass-down tradition. It was an accident waiting to happen. By contrast, Student Bonfire has a building plan (I've met the designer, an engineering graduate of A&M). It has on-site supervision. It's the same size every year, and is built the same way. It incorporates recommendations made by those who investigated the tragedy, e.g., the unstable, multi-tiered structure, which employed dangerous techniques such as "wedging" that degraded "hoop strength," has been replaced by logs that all touch the ground, a reasonable limit on height, and "Windle sticks," which are effectively four vertical supports that complement the stability afforded by center pole.

It is as safe as such a construction project can be. And that goes beyond engineering. Now, there is a culture of compliance with safety standards. There is zero tolerance for alcohol. Horseplay and hazing is verboten. Safety classes are mandatory, and those classes have real content.

The old Bonfire had cultural problems that made enemies for the tradition out of people who otherwise wouldn't care. Did you ever go to Old Bonfire and try to count the number of drunk spectators? What did you think of the sight of young men and women, drunk as a skunk and puking on themselves, being rounded up by the police for public intoxication? Of loud, drunken crowds roaming through the Southside neighborhoods after burn? Of cinders from burn drifting with the winds and landing on the roofs of houses? Of overzealous students waking fellow dorm residents at 6 a.m. on Saturdays, pounding on their doors and trying to pressure students who otherwise didn't give a damn about coming to cut or stack.

The week before the tragedy, the Battalion contained a short article about a clueless international student who cut through the perimeter early one morning, totally unaware that he was trodding on sacred ground, only to get beaten up by some overzealous "pot." Also, since the inception of Student Bonfire, I haven't heard a peep out of Hugh Wilson and his gang of eco-nerds. I guess his environmental activism didn't venture north toward the Robertson County line.

Yes, there are certainly shortfalls in the new tradition. I miss the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band. It's not the same with piped- in music. I miss hearing Jackie or R.C., and the football team's seniors, exhorting the 12th Man to help them Beat the Hell Outta t.u. Somehow, a purple outhouse on top of the stack just isn't the same.

But, the tradition continues. It continues as best we can do it. Every year I bring my teenage daughter, Class of 2024, to see Student Bonfire. She wasn't yet born when stack fell. She seems to like it. In fact, she invites her high school classmates, and thus shares an Aggie tradition with others who otherwise would never be introduced to it.

WaltonAg18
AG
Thymes said:

The week before the tragedy, the Battalion contained a short article about a clueless international student who cut through the perimeter early one morning, totally unaware that he was trodding on sacred ground, only to get beaten up by some overzealous "pot." Also, since the inception of Student Bonfire, I haven't heard a peep out of Hugh Wilson and his gang of eco-nerds. I guess his environmental activism didn't venture north todard the Robertson County line.
This story is one of the most telling portrayals of Ol' Army Bonfire, and the quote from the Red is a classic.

"Why are you doing this?!"
"Because... because I'm a redpot!"
No one should have to work to survive. Your right to life should not depend solely on your ability to produce capital.
MidTnAg
AG
I think we will always have the Bonfire. It is an incredible accomplishment that could not be duplicated by any other academic institution.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.