Finished, "The Expanse."

2,493 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thank you Entertainment Board Peeps for the recommendations. Much better than I imagined. Now I'm jonesing for more. Wifey might leave me because it's fun to speak with a Belter accent just to annoy her.

Camina Drummer!
bobinator
AG
I'm still surprised the series wasn't more popular.
Fenrir
At this point I have just accepted that sci-fi (especially harder sci-fi shows/movies) are not going to be as popular. I wouldn't say it is a niche genre but there just seems to be a smaller pool of viewers than other more mainstream genres.

All this talk about The Expanse lately, I'm just going to have to commit to a rewatch I guess.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
Great show! Will have to give it a rewatch after I forget more plotlines from it.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
Also, what would be recommendations for another great sci-fi show?
Faustus
Franck and Abraham (joint pen name James S. A. Corey) have a new book in a new series out Aug. 6 called The Mercy of Gods.

Looking forward to it after The Expanse series. Maybe it too will be translated to the screen.
Wolfpac 08
AG
A few episodes into season 4 and loving it! Best thing we've watched in a few years.
13B
cupcakesprinkles said:

Firefly if you haven't already.
Rocagnante
AG
If you're open to a subtitled show then I recommend the Chinese tv adaption of Three Body Problem. It's a bit of a slow burn at first kind of like the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Body/dp/B0B676WP3C
Rocagnante
AG
Faustus said:

Franck and Abraham (joint pen name James S. A. Corey) have a new book in a news series out Aug. 6 called The Mercy of Gods.

Looking forward to it after The Expanse series. Maybe it too will be translated to the screen.

Can read first chapter here:

https://www.polygon.com/24164196/expanse-james-s-a-corey-new-book-mercy-gods
Faustus
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
cupcakesprinkles said:

Dark. German, but incredible.
REMARCH11
AG
Absolutely loved that series. I've watched it at least 4 times!!
God,....I really hate the sips!
Lathspell
AG
13B said:

cupcakesprinkles said:

Ahh... getting ready to lament the cancellation of Firefly, yet again...
bobinator
AG
What's interesting about The Expanse is that even though there's some futuristic Sci-Fi stuff, it's fairly grounded. That's why I was a little surprised it wasn't more popular as a TV show, though it starting on the SyFy channel didn't help its cause. Would be a lot more popular if it had started on Prime all the way.

But compared to, say, the Three Body Problem which involves human moving into the fourth dimension or a multiverse episodic like Dark Matter, The Expanse is fairly straightforward.

If a SciFi series were going to make it big as a TV show I thought it would have been it. They didn't finish out the books though, so maybe someday.

The Red Rising series has some potential as a TV show.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
Lathspell said:

13B said:

cupcakesprinkles said:

I saw Dark and loved it. The first two seasons are some of the best ever.

I haven't seen Firefly. Not because I don't know about it. But I heard it was so good that it will piss you off that there is only one season.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
Will check it out, thanks!
KALALL
AG
bobinator said:

The Red Rising series has some potential as a TV show.

The first season would be pretty easy to make since it's set at the school, but future seasons would cost a fortune to do right with iron rains and all the space combat. I'd love to see it though.
StinkyPinky
AG
Lathspell said:

13B said:

cupcakesprinkles said:

You know a second revolution will come after other generations discover this show.
StinkyPinky
AG
To read or watch The Expanse? I have a hella linger list of books to read than I do series to watch. So this is where I'm at….
Lathspell
AG
StinkyPinky said:

Lathspell said:

13B said:

cupcakesprinkles said:

You know a second revolution will come after other generations discover this show.
Won't be the same. The cast is what made that show what it was. I have no interest to watch a show without that cast.
StinkyPinky
AG
Lathspell said:

StinkyPinky said:

Lathspell said:

13B said:

cupcakesprinkles said:

Won't be the same. The cast is what made that show what it was. I have no interest to watch a show without that cast.
Sure, it can't be done. I'm just saying there will be always outrage for the decision to end that specific show after 1 season. What could have been….

And interesting enough on cast, I was surprised they didn't translate past FireFly better than they did.

Rocagnante
AG
StinkyPinky said:

To read or watch The Expanse? I have a hella linger list of books to read than I do series to watch. So this is where I'm at….

I'd read the books first. The show stays fairly true to the books especially the first couple seasons.
bobinator
AG
I'd probably watch first since the books keep going after where the show ended. Plus the books would completely spoil the show but the show will only partially spoil the books.
07ag
AG
cupcakesprinkles said:

Battlestar Galactica
For all mankind
https://ts.la/eric59704
Heineken-Ashi
There's a book series by A.D. Riddle called The Long Winter. It was an easy read and a compelling story. First Book was great on its own. Second book was slightly weaker, but really picked up on the back half. Third book is either astounding, or atrocious, depending on who you talk to. I loved it. It went in such an extreme direction and then just kept going and going and going. And it laid out a fairly complex puzzle that, once it came together, was like unlocking the secret of life itseld.

I would love for that series to become a show, but I think it would be insanely costly to do. If you like Sci-fi, and the "grounded" aspect of the Expanse, you will mostly like it.. given the world, predicament, and realities set up by the first book. But the 3rd book isn't grounded. Not at all. So be prepared.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
spanky
AG
cupcakesprinkles said:

Silo, Severance, The Last of Us, and Fallout are all new shows that I enjoyed
lurker76
Rocagnante said:

StinkyPinky said:

I'd read the books first. The show stays fairly true to the books especially the first couple seasons.
I stopped watching during season 3. I just didn't like the way it was headed, specifically with Bobbie. I loved her character in the book, and felt that she wasn't treated properly; she was too wishy-washy and weak, compared to the books.
I thought the casting for the show was great, with each character being a very good representation of the book character. Also, the scenes in space were well done. I really wanted to like it, but just felt it was trending off the rails for me.
Heineken-Ashi
lurker76 said:

Rocagnante said:

StinkyPinky said:

I stopped watching during season 3. I just didn't like the way it was headed, specifically with Bobbie. I loved her character in the book, and felt that she wasn't treated properly; she was too wishy-washy and weak, compared to the books.
I thought the casting for the show was great, with each character being a very good representation of the book character. Also, the scenes in space were well done. I really wanted to like it, but just felt it was trending off the rails for me.
Highly recommend finishing the show. Definitely some weak moments. But the last two seasons were awesome.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
javajaws
AG
Southlake said:

Camina Drummer!
When I saw her (Cara Gee) in Sweet Tooth I couldn't stop hearing everything she said in a belter accent!
An L of an Ag
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

lurker76 said:

Rocagnante said:

StinkyPinky said:

Highly recommend finishing the show. Definitely some weak moments. But the last two seasons were awesome.

Ditto. Especially since those last 2 seasons were on Prime. The improvement in production from the SyFy Channel is unmistakable.

Loved the books and the series - best science fiction to come out in decades.
BQRyno
AG
Watched the series a while back and just finished the book series last night. I liked the show and loved the books. While I wish they'd make the last 3 seasons into a show as well, I was glad to have brand new story to take in. Without spoiling anything, it's wild that the show went 6 seasons and then stopped right before the overall story got to the boiling point. The nearest comparison would be if Game of Thrones pulled the plug before the white walkers really came into play.

Now I'm going to read the novellas that fill in some side story (Memory's Legion) before starting their new series with Mercy of Gods. Good timing that it just came out!
Wolfpac 08
AG
Just finished the show and were pissed when we realized that there were three books that didn't get adapted and that we were going to end it with so many unanswered questions…

Regardless, it was a great show - really excited to read the series (probably next year)
aggie_wes
AG
Just finished the book series last week. About to start the show.
BQRyno
AG
Wolfpac 08 said:

Just finished the show and were pissed when we realized that there were three books that didn't get adapted and that we were going to end it with so many unanswered questions…

Regardless, it was a great show - really excited to read the series (probably next year)

Plus, while I guess you theoretically COULD, you don't want to just pick up at book 7 and read through the end. There's enough difference that you would be confused about some things.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.