TV's Greatest Achievement: 1976 Edition

1,376 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by NoahAg
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One of my kids recently discovered the Melissa Gilbert TV Series Little House on the Prairie after reading a few of the original books. She's been watching it daily, which sparked my childhood memory of the greatest episode of that show, when Nellie fakes being paralyzed.

A recap of this great episode of TV.

Laura's rival Nellie gets to ride on Laura's horse, Bunny.
Being the ***** that she is, Nellie engages in some animal abuse.
Bunny bucks her off and she isn't hurt but fakes like she can't feel her legs, engaging in psychological warfare that has Laura doing her homework for her and kissing her ass (not literally).
Nellie's mom starts a campaign to kill the horse.
Laura sees Nellie walking around and playing, and the jig is up.
Laura pushes Nellie in her wheelchair up a steep hill, gets Nellie's mom's attention, and shoves her wheelchair down the hill going 60MPH into a pond. It exposes her lie, but also could have legit killed Nellie like 10 different ways.
Laura gets her horse back and Nellie goes in a rageaholic fit, destroying her room and shouting how much she hates Laura.

The climatic scene, a precursor to Paul Rudd's gotcha video he used to play to fool Conan O'Brien.

MSFC Aggie
AG
LHOTP and The Waltons were an immediate change of the channel for me
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Apache
AG
Quote:

Same here.
But I did just watch that clip & it was awesome.
EclipseAg
AG
Seems like every show in the '70s had an episode where someone fakes an injury and then gets tricked into revealing the truth.

Here's Harry Morgan on "The Partridge Family" with a fake neck injury caused by a fender bender with the Partridge bus. This episode also featured an unknown Farrah Fawcett.

BurnetAggie99
Some other 1976 popular TV shows back then were Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, MASH, Charlie's Angels, The 6 Million Dollar Man, Three's Company, All in the Family, & Bionic Woman.
aTmAg
AG
Since this is turning into a 70s fake injury thread, here's another:

AustinAg2K
Who knew there were so many great scenes of kids in wheelchairs falling off cliffs...

Bruce Almighty
AG
Does Corey Haim fall out of his wheelchair in Silver Bullett? I haven't seen it since I was a kid and don't remember.
The Porkchop Express
Closer examination shows that this episode was both written and directed by Michael Landon.
double aught
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Takes me back to the Walker, Texas Ranger lever on Conan. One of the all time great comedy bits.
Ozzy Osbourne
Little House on the Prarie was a great show and anyone who doesn't like it is a commie.
maroon barchetta
aTmAg said:

Since this is turning into a 70s fake injury thread, here's another:

I've been waiting to Mike Brady someone with a briefcase for years since seeing this episode.
maroon barchetta
Also, does this mean that the George Costanza fake injury he used while working for Play Now was just lifted from classic 70's tv?
Iowaggie
AG
Any dad or mom looking for a show to watch with their tween should consider Little House. My daughters have loved watching it with their mom who remembers watching it with her mom.

I do not watch it much, but Harriet Oleson's character makes me laugh now, like in a Frank Burns kind of way.

There are a lot of future stars that show up periodically, but it is also the first main role for these two who got famous later for their own shows.

The girl grew up and slept with Melissa Gilbert's husband when she was 22.

Jason Bateman and Shannen Doherty

AustinAg2K
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Does this mean "Walker, Texas Ranger" and "Forrest Gump" are set in the same universe?
SgtBarbarossa
AustinAg2K said:

Who knew there were so many great scenes of kids in wheelchairs falling off cliffs...

NoahAg
MSFC Aggie said:

Have you always been a communist?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.