Hardcore History by Dan Carlin - Question

1,498 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Spore Ag
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone listen to Hardcore History? I have been listening for almost 7 years now and still can't get enough of it. I have listened to The Blueprint for Armageddon series on WWI at least 4-5 times now. Death Throes of the Republic and Prophets of Doom are another couple of my favorites on regular rotation.

But I bring this up to try to get other suggestions for history podcasts done in the same vein as Hardcore History. There are so many topics out there that I would love to listen to but don't know where to start and would rather not have to go through multiple podcasts and hearing people dryly drone on about a topic before stumbling on one that's good.

Thanks!
Josepi
AG
Love Hardcore History

Wrath of the Khans and Ghosts of the Ostfront were my favorites
Claude!
Mike Duncan's History of Rome was really great. I've heard good things about his Revolutions podcast as well, but haven't dipped into it yet.
JoCoAg09
AG
No first-hand help, but here's a Reddit Thread on this topic that might be helpful.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Check out season 9 of Revolutions, from Mike Duncan. It's the story of the Mexican revolution, which is crazy as hell and brilliantly told. The story is brimming with fascinating characters, like Emilio Zapata and Pancho Villa. You even get some wild American interventions.

Highly recommend it.
Thanks and gig'em
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Supernova in the east 1-6 are free currently (probably due to Shogun?). They are really good.
Josepi
AG
A New History of Old Texas by Brandon Seale is good

Season 1 - The history of San Antonio including the Battle of the Alamo
Season 3 - Cabeza de Vaca - I couldn't stop listening to this. Absolutely fascinating

I couldn't stay focused on Season 2, and I haven't listened to season 4,5, or 6 so I can't comment on those.
Loved season 1 and 3 though.
jdgilberg
AG
Have you listened to the 'Hardcore History Addendum' feed? It's up to 28 episodes of 'shorter' (1-3hr) one off episodes that are also really good
Capybara
Claude! said:

Mike Duncan's History of Rome was really great. I've heard good things about his Revolutions podcast as well, but haven't dipped into it yet.
I've only listened to the season on the Russian Revolution. Excellent. Though with podcasts or anything aural, I badly struggle to retain much, especially compared to a book. Stinks because the podcasts feel so much more alive - - they're performances after all. No idea what to do about this, as most books are incredibly boring.
Legal Custodian
AG
Thanks everyone, I'll check out "A New History of Old Texas" and the Mike Duncan podcast. That Russian Revolution one sounds right up my alley.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm going to try out the Mike Duncan Revolutions one. Thanks for the thread and rec's y'all! I, too, love the Carlin stuff and can't get enough of it.
Stive
AG
What's the best way to listen to Carlin's older stuff? Is there only one platform? A cheap/cheaper version out there? I caught the WW1 episodes several years ago, just finished Supernova in the East (free on Apple) but now I'm wanting to listen to his older stuff.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Been a few years now since I've gone back in his archives for a show, but I believe I just streamed from his website directly.
Belton Ag
AG
Stive said:

What's the best way to listen to Carlin's older stuff? Is there only one platform? A cheap/cheaper version out there? I caught the WW1 episodes several years ago, just finished Supernova in the East (free on Apple) but now I'm wanting to listen to his older stuff.
Just about all of the Hardcore History episodes are available on iTunes for purchase.
rhutton125
AG
When do yall listen to these? The last one I did was back when I had a really boring and mindless job. I feel like if I broke it up now during chores or something I'd lose the thread so often.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
rhutton125 said:

When do yall listen to these? The last one I did was back when I had a really boring and mindless job. I feel like if I broke it up now during chores or something I'd lose the thread so often.
I listen on the way to work or when doing yardwork.
Chipotlemonger
AG
rhutton125 said:

During my commute recently. In the past when I had a shorter commute I would listen with lunch.

I've found what helps connect segments for me is to rewind a little bit and re-listen to parts and let that run into new listening.
Legal Custodian
AG
rhutton125 said:

When I go on walks or runs in the morning. Or I power through some on long road trips when I'm driving in the middle of the night while the family is sleeping.
jeffk
AG
rhutton125 said:

In the car on my commute or when I'm mowing the church lawn.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Walks are a good spot for them for sure, good mention
Claude!
rhutton125 said:

I walk the dog 5+ hours over the course of the week. When I had a longer commute, I'd listen then, or when I mow.
Capybara
rhutton125 said:

Driving. Can't listen to podcasts outside of the car for whatever reason.
DG-Ag
AG
rhutton125 said:

Running and driving.
You're from down South,
And when you open your mouth,
You always seem to put your foot there.
Claude!
DG-Ag said:

rhutton125 said:

Running and driving.
Hopefully not at once.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Claude! said:

DG-Ag said:

rhutton125 said:

Running and driving.
Hopefully not at once.
Murder Hornet
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Claude! said:

DG-Ag said:

rhutton125 said:

Running and driving.
Hopefully not at once.

Well done
DG-Ag
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Claude! said:

DG-Ag said:

rhutton125 said:

Running and driving.
Hopefully not at once.

Proof that there truly is a .gif for every possible situation...
You're from down South,
And when you open your mouth,
You always seem to put your foot there.
Spore Ag
Dan Snow is not bad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.