Any drummers in here?

525 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by GCRanger
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been taking drum lessons the last few months (once per week) but I haven't had a drum set so the progress has been quite slow. Today I pulled the trigger on a beginner set of electronic drums Titan 50. I was tempted to spend way way more but I decided to just get a beginners set. I think more time playing will really help me progress.

I'd love any tips from anybody on how to progress or what drills you've found helpful.
ChrisHansen
AG
Best thing that helped me years ago once I had a few basics down was to play along with songs. I picked songs that had similar grooves to what my teacher had taught me and from there I learned how to mix in fills and transitions. Also makes practicing a lot more fun. Best of luck.
jokershady
AG
Played a ton but years ago….

Find songs with really basic 8 count beats and just keep time with it not worrying about hitting the exact same drum patterns….

Then also work on slow rolls on the toms….
jokershady
AG
Also did a bunch of variations of paradiddles between my hands and feet so my hands wouldn't get so fast where my feet couldn't keep up…

RLRRLRLL
Ag_0112358132134
I've played drums for years and used to do some session work. My number one tip for all new drummers is to focus on precision above all else. Whatever you are learning, make sure you practice it until you can play it with sharp and precise articulation while staying in time. This applies to every pattern and every fill. Even if you're a novice, playing something simple with precision is far more effective and audibly pleasing than playing something complicated but sloppy.

This is a little more philosophical and may go over your head right now, but my second tip is to learn as quickly as possible how to identify, understand, count, and manipulate rhythm so that your brain is not constrained to 3 and 4. I started playing drums when I was 13 and always had natural talent, but it was not until I was about 17 and began listening to more progressive music that I realized the tiny rhythmic box I had been constraining myself to. After I rewired my brain to be able to comfortably think and play in 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, and 15 in addition to 3, 4, 6, and 8, my playing really took off. Not because I was playing songs in odd rhythms all the time, but because I better understood how all of the numbers fit together, and I could seamlessly transition between them and use them to create unique fills and accents. This will also open you up to the world of polyrhythms and polymeters, which every good drummer has to understand.
GCRanger
AG
Got my 11 year old son a used Alesis electronic kit a couple months ago. I mess with it more than he does. Wish I had more time to learn basics
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.