So if we did a greatest year of movies tournament ...

5,494 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What would be the logical parameters for picking the representatives of each year?

My idea would be to start in 1975 (because it's 48 years from 1975-2023) and pick a certain number of movies from each represent "the best" of that year, maybe 8-10 movies, then invent some sort of seeding; not really sure what that would look like.

But how to pick the best films? The Oscar winner, the box office champ, and then what? Or should it all be ratings on IMDB?

Insight appreciated.
bluefire579
AG
I'd think a combination of what you mentioned. Like a combination of Best Picture Nominees, top 10 box office, and top 10 imdb would ensure you're catching critical darlings, audience favorites, and ones that eventually become cult classics, which would cover pretty much what the vast majority of people would consider the best from any given year.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I wouldn't consider Oscar winners as an kind of arbiter.

Is Annie Hall really a better movie than Star Wars? Chariots of Fire better than Raiders of the Lost Ark? Shakespeare in Love better than Saving Private Ryan?

But 1982. That's your answer.
#FJB
The Porkchop Express
bluefire579 said:

I'd think a combination of what you mentioned. Like a combination of Best Picture Nominees, top 10 box office, and top 10 imdb would ensure you're catching critical darlings, audience favorites, and ones that eventually become cult classics, which would cover pretty much what the vast majority of people would consider the best from any given year.
Maybe the Oscar winner and then 9 more that are a combination of IMDB and box office, because there will be some overlap there in nearly every year.
CheeseSndwch
I think whatever the metric is it should be Top 10 per year to coincide with the expansion of the Best Picture category. Not saying every Best Picture nominee should make the cut but Top 10 would avoid overlooking worthy mentions in years with a lot of notable movies.

In addition to what's been mentioned I would also recommend consideration for technological advancement within the filmmaking industry.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I would do IMDB ratings which is probably going to be the most accurate for the tastes on this board. Also, it takes out personal opinions and keeps people from *****ing about the selections.
The Porkchop Express
Bruce Almighty said:

I would do IMDB ratings which is probably going to be the most accurate for the tastes on this board. Also, it takes out personal opinions and keeps people from *****ing about the selections.
People will *****, Ray. People will most definitely *****.
Yoda
AG
Sounds like a fun idea, Porkchop. Rather than start with 1975, I'd suggest you kick out a few recent years that have zero claim to the title and replace with older peak-Hollywood years like 1939 (Gone with the Wind, Wizard of Oz, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington), 1962 (Lawrence of Arabia, Dr. No. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance) and 1967 (The Graduate, Cool Hand Luke, Bonnie & Clyde).

Also, starting with '75 (go "Jaws"!) would leave out a great contender in 1974 (Godfather II, The Conversation, Chinatown, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and even all-time comedies like Blazing Saddles & Young Frankenstein).
YouBet
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

What would be the logical parameters for picking the representatives of each year?

My idea would be to start in 1975 (because it's 48 years from 1975-2023) and pick a certain number of movies from each represent "the best" of that year, maybe 8-10 movies, then invent some sort of seeding; not really sure what that would look like.

But how to pick the best films? The Oscar winner, the box office champ, and then what? Or should it all be ratings on IMDB?

Insight appreciated.
Random. Why not start in 1973 and make it 50 years?

I would just use IMDB to make it easy.
The Porkchop Express
YouBet said:

Insight appreciated.

Because 50 isn't divisible by 4.
The Porkchop Express
Yoda said:

Sounds like a fun idea, Porkchop. Rather than start with 1975, I'd suggest you kick out a few recent years that have zero claim to the title and replace with older peak-Hollywood years like 1939 (Gone with the Wind, Wizard of Oz, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington), 1962 (Lawrence of Arabia, Dr. No. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance) and 1967 (The Graduate, Cool Hand Luke, Bonnie & Clyde).

Also, starting with '75 (go "Jaws"!) would leave out a great contender in 1974 (Godfather II, The Conversation, Chinatown, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and even all-time comedies like Blazing Saddles & Young Frankenstein).
I'm trying to make it objective as possible. Deciding which years make it and which get left out is just going to make this Btich Fest 3000.
toucan82
I'll save some time: "The Empire Strikes Back" wins
Bruce Almighty
AG
toucan82 said:

I'll save some time: "The Empire Strikes Back" wins

Its greatest year, not greatest movie.
Bruce Almighty
AG
With 48 teams, you'll have to have 16 byes. How do you decide which years get those byes? If you used IMDB, you could rank by average ratings I guess.
YouBet
AG

YouBet said:

Insight appreciated.

Well, I'm out then.

Tanya 93
Yoda
AG
Removed
Captain Winky
1999 is the answer
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG

Bruce Almighty said:

Yep. The old saying of "the only happy Aggie is an unhappy Aggie" certainly applies here.
#FJB
The Porkchop Express
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Yep. The old saying of "the only happy Aggie is an unhappy Aggie" certainly applies here.
There's a reason I havent' done one in a couple of years.
CheeseSndwch
YouBet said:

YouBet said:

Insight appreciated.

Well, I'm out then.

50 / 4 = 12.5
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd probably use 1975-2023 as the starting point, knock out the really obvious down years (such as strike years, pandemic years, etc), and throw in some standout years from before the 70s. 1939 and 1968 come to mind.

For seeding, the most you really need to do IMO is find the really obvious top 8 and make them the top seeds. Leave the rest up to chance.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Have 44 years 1975-2019. Gets rid of the COVID crap years. have 8 play-in matches for the final four spots with years that fall outside that date range.
toucan82
Reading is hard
The Porkchop Express
OK, I'm going with 64 years 1959-2023, minus 2020.

10 entries per year: automatic for best picture and box office champ of the year, and then the top 8 ranked on IMDB after that.

Will get the average ranking of the IMDBs for each year and seed them accordingly.

Then we dance.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
1994 going to the Final Four.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's already the #1 overall seed, I can tell that and I'm only about 50 rankings in. It'll be tough to beat. Well maybe not, but definitley a high seed. This is going to take a while.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG

Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's already the #1 overall seed, I can tell that and I'm only about 50 rankings in. It'll be tough to beat.
1982 beats 1994
#FJB
The Porkchop Express
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's already the #1 overall seed, I can tell that and I'm only about 50 rankings in. It'll be tough to beat.
1982 beats 1994
I'm 80 movies in and there hasn't been one 1982 movie yet in the IMDB top 250
Bruce Almighty
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

1982 beats 1994

Opinions will obviously be based on age, but I'd put 99, 94 and 84 ahead of 82.

Actually, looking more in depth at 82, I don't see what the big deal is about that year. It wouldn't crack my top 10.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

1982 beats 1994
Well, IMDB is wrong then.

Conan the Barbarian, Star Trek II, The Thing, Blade Runner, ET, TRON, Firefox, First Blood all came out in 82.
#FJB
The Porkchop Express
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

1982 beats 1994

Conan the Barbarian, Star Trek II, The Thing, Blade Runner, ET, TRON, Firefox, First Blood all came out in 82.
Well when I seee 433 votes for 1982, I'll know who to thank!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

1982 beats 1994

Uhhh sorry most of those are cheesy. 82 cannot even touch 1985.....

Action and comedy greats:
Back to the Future
Beverly Hills Cop
Rocky IV
The Goonies
Fletch
The Breakfast Club
Weird Science
Summer Rental
Commando

Pretty good dramas:
Cocoon
Witness
Jagged Edge
Silverado
Pale Rider
Ladyhawke

cheesy but still good:
The Jewel of the Nile
Rambo II
A View to. a Kill
European Vacation
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Spies Like Us
Teen Wolf
St. Elmo's Fire
Police Academy II
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Porky's Revenge

and for the nominated best picture movies:
Out of Africa
The Color Purple
Prizzi's Honor
Kiss of the Spider Woman
Witness

Hard to beat that
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

1982 beats 1994

Yeah that year isn't making it past the Sweet 16 at best, let alone taking out 1994.

(And E.T. is of one of my all-time childhood favorites.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn good list.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.