Late Night with the Devil

2,464 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Rule Number 32
State of Texas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone seen this or plan on seeing it? It had a high critic score on RT and is opening this weekend in B/CS.

Rotten Tomatoes link
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
This looks incredible.
Sex Panther
AG
Haven't seen it but I am extremely excited to. Looks like a very original idea (since we always criticize Hollywoods lack of them) and the reviews are through the roof. And David Dastmalchian is always great. Cool to see him get a lead role like this.
Antoninus
so, it was released a year ago at South by Southwest, and it couldn't find a distributor until now?
State of Texas
Interesting. Yeah, I didn't know anything about it until I saw the trailer last week and I kept thinking about it over the last few days. I'm not even that much into the horror genre, but the period piece and the network tv aspect drew me in.

I don't know that I'll see it in the theaters as it may just be here for a week or two, but definitely when it streams in a few months. I believe I read that the guys who made it aren't even old enough to remember Johnny Carson on late night and they are from Australia. I enjoyed reading the review from the San Francisco Chronicle on RT.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Will probably watch tomorrow night.
TCTTS
AG
This is the perfect Alamo Drafthouse movie, but this weekend's showings sold out halfway through last week, I was too late, and so now I've been checking daily for next weekend's times to be posted. Can't wait.
Proposition Joe
A female who identifies as the devil?

I'm so ****ing tired of this DEI *****
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I won't have time to watch it, but I think this movie looks really fun. Love how they're capturing the 70s aesthetic and whoop for original storytelling.
Thanks and gig'em
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One of the coolest, most original horror films in recent memory.
Macarthur
Saw it last night. It was good. Based on the trailer, i thought i would like it more, but it was still a good watch and def original.
taxpreparer
AG
Proposition Joe said:

A female who identifies as the devil?

I'm so ****ing tired of this DEI *****

What I want to know is, does the devil have a blue dress on?
Proposition Joe
Makes me think of the Leslie Nielsen spoof.
Complete Idiot
PIcked this to watch on Friday night, solely because it looked different and "entertaining". Didn't know if it would be more funny to me or more compelling and truly dramatic.

I guess I lean to more funny or just "entertaining" , but I did have fun watching it in a theater.
BCSWguru
Saw this one yesterday and it was great. I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed it.
State of Texas
Will watch this weekend with our AMC+ subscription on Amazon prime. Looking forward to it.
Complete Idiot
Post a review
Proposition Joe
Enjoyed the setup, thought the ending was pretty bad.
State of Texas
Quick review
I think the late night Alamo Drafthouse route is the way to see it if you still can…otherwise streaming is just fine. Definitely original, which I appreciated. It may certainly get some legs or a cult following once it starts streaming wider, but for a bunch of actors and actresses and directors who I wasn't aware of…they certainly pulled off a fun episode of a creepy late night show in 1977. Entertaining for sure. I'm no expert on horror movies…I do like period piece movies and movies that deal with radio and or tv in some aspect and this hit both of those notes well.

I don't know that I would necessarily watch it a second time on purpose…but much like a Shawshank Redemption or Green Mile…if it comes on on a Sunday afternoon or late night and there isn't much on, I'll probably stop and watch. I definitely do recommend seeing it once, especially if you're on the fence. It is a little slow to get started, but if you are a fan of anything late night, you will probably enjoy it.
State of Texas
On second thought…I probably will watch it again just to see if I missed anything the first go round. Some of you who have seen it may agree…this movie really does fit the category of what you think of a late night low budget movie/show in the 70's and 80's. I was thinking how perfect this would have been if this film came out in the 80's…later edited for tv and ran at 11pm on Friday or Saturday night after the 10 pm news. It would fit right in.
annie88
AG
I thought it started out really well till about halfway through then I thought it lost some momentum but overall it was OK. But the more I thought about it I think it was better than I originally thought it was.
Rule Number 32
AG
Watched it last night and enjoyed it. Reading about it today I missed a LOT apparently.

[Spoiler] apparently a few of the crowd members all the crew who left were members of the cult. I completely missed that. Loved the ending when it just went completely bonkers. A lot of the target younger audience for this movie apparently didn't know the grove is a real thing...[/spoiler]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.