***The Brothers Sun - Netflix series***

3,093 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TX04Aggie
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone started this yet? Just popped up on my feed last night and looks like an absolute blast (and Michele Yeoh is a national treasure even if she's not American).

RangerRick9211
AG
I'm two down and so dig it.
fig96
AG
Watched ep 1 last night and this might be my new favorite show. They had me at the very first scene and the action sequences across the board are SO good.
javajaws
AG
OMG. If the rest of the episodes are as good as the first two I'm going to predict this will be the best series of the year.

That Jurassic Park moment was hilarious. The humor in this show is great and the casting is perfect.
javajaws
AG
Ok finished the whole season. This series is so good. A couple things that bothered me in the end, but everything else totally makes up for it. The writing is just so good.

Watch it and give it a shot.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We are 3 episodes in and have loved every second. Such a fantastic freaking show thus far.
JMR
S
Glad y'all started this thread! Watched ep 1&2 and love it
K2-HMFIC
Really great series…lot of fun.
fig96
AG
Halfway through and still loving this. Blood Boots is my favorite character by far
NC2001
AG
Binged this last night. Great show, and I look forward to season 2! I did think that the last episode seemed a bit rushed, but that's just me.
Josepi
AG
Just finished this last night. All in all, it was fine, and I don't regret the time spent on it, but I won't be recommending it it. I really liked it until the final few episodes.

The actress who plays the prosecutor/detective is bad. I found myself not looking forward to scenes she was in.
When the police/FBI/DEA (and whoever else) were watching the bugged phone on the TV, why did they not have someone staking out the house and see that he left? They staked out the celebrity/actors house, but they were all just sitting in a room wondering why the phone wasn't moving. Dumb
Why did the Triads not have security outside the restaurant? All of their body guards were standing behind them, but not one person outside. The police and Boxers just walked right in. Dumb
They hold the one brother for discharging a firearm in the street. Not the murder that happened 30 seconds before that. Not the murder of a dozen police officers in the restaurant. Shooting in the street. Dumb
I liked the fight scenes, and yes it was ridiculous that they all stab each other while gunfire is everywhere in the room. I kind of rolled my eyes at that, but I still liked the fighting.

I wasn't expecting the show to be realistic or believable, and I didn't need it to be for me to really enjoy it, but the final two episodes just seemed so rushed, and they did so many things that were just ridiculous and/or dumb. It kind of soured a show that I was really enjoying up until then.
amg405
AG
Overall it's definitely worth the watch. It's funny and entertaining with some good action sequences. I did think it could have been just as good if not better in about 6 episodes… there were some filler scenes thrown in there. I also thought there were times when the show couldn't decide what kind of show it wanted to be. That's not to mention most of the police stuff being silly and unbelievable.

It's a solid story and a good one to watch, especially if you're running low on content when football ends.
javajaws
AG
Josepi said:

Just finished this last night. All in all, it was fine, and I don't regret the time spent on it, but I won't be recommending it it. I really liked it until the final few episodes.

The actress who plays the prosecutor/detective is bad. I found myself not looking forward to scenes she was in.
When the police/FBI/DEA (and whoever else) were watching the bugged phone on the TV, why did they not have someone staking out the house and see that he left? They staked out the celebrity/actors house, but they were all just sitting in a room wondering why the phone wasn't moving. Dumb
Why did the Triads not have security outside the restaurant? All of their body guards were standing behind them, but not one person outside. The police and Boxers just walked right in. Dumb
They hold the one brother for discharging a firearm in the street. Not the murder that happened 30 seconds before that. Not the murder of a dozen police officers in the restaurant. Shooting in the street. Dumb
I liked the fight scenes, and yes it was ridiculous that they all stab each other while gunfire is everywhere in the room. I kind of rolled my eyes at that, but I still liked the fighting.

I wasn't expecting the show to be realistic or believable, and I didn't need it to be for me to really enjoy it, but the final two episodes just seemed so rushed, and they did so many things that were just ridiculous and/or dumb. It kind of soured a show that I was really enjoying up until then.

The issues you describe in the last few episodes are some of the things that bothered me in the end as well. I thought it was a bit lazy writing and somewhat in contrast to the very good writing from earlier in the season. But the season overall was great to me and made up for those shortcomings with the ending. For me the style of humor throughout combined with the action I found really enjoyable.

I think with the ending...they fell back on their kung fu roots and just said screw the writing, we're here for the action.
Bockaneer
AG
And now I hear not renewed - what is the criteria?
91G 'EM 94GGIES!
FL_Ag1998
AG
Bockaneer said:

And now I hear not renewed - what is the criteria?

I'll actually be upset if that's the case. I really liked this show, one of the best Netflix has ever put out.
Bockaneer
AG
https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/the-brothers-sun-season-2-canceled/
bonfarr
AG
Bockaneer said:

Heard good things about this show but didn't start it because I saw S2 was a no-go. Is it still worth watching or does it end with a cliffhanger we will never see resolved?
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
AggieMPH2005
I just finished S1 of House of Ninjas and I need a new series on Netflix and wanted to give this a try. Too bad about it not being renewed, but I will still give it a go.

Also feel like Ninjas will meet a similar fate seems like Netflix does this more often than not.
javajaws
AG
bonfarr said:

Bockaneer said:

Heard good things about this show but didn't start it because I saw S2 was a no-go. Is it still worth watching or does it end with a cliffhanger we will never see resolved?
I think it does well on its own. Unfortunate, but still definitely worth a watch IMO.
Phrasing
AG
Really bummed at this news. Was looking forward to Season 2 for sure.
TX04Aggie
AG
Actually enjoyed this series. Just finished it. Bummer it isnt being renewed
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.