*** EXTRAPOLATIONS *** (Apple TV+ Limited Series)

2,030 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by BCG Disciple
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This has to be up there with the most insane television casts ever. Nearly every single shot I was like, "Wait, they're in this too?" I don't know that the show itself looks particular good - it definitely looks expensive - but something about it gives me strong Invasion vibes (another global but incredibly dull Apple TV+ series), never mind the subject matter, which is sure to rile up certain folk. Heck, even I was rolling my eyes at some of this stuff.

That said, I can at least appreciate how big of a swing this is, but we'll see if it actually delivers...

Extrapolations
Limited Series (8 Episodes)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13821126/
March 17, 2023
Apple TV+

normalhorn
Yay, another self-aggrandizing Hollywood fluff piece…but this time, the who's who of the elite actors are tripping over themselves to get in the credits for this so they can brag and pat each other on the back for saving the world while dining at Koi on La Cienega Blvd….
...take it easy on me, I'm a normal horn
TCTTS
AG
Koi was cool 15 years ago.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
normalhorn said:

Yay, another self-aggrandizing Hollywood fluff piece…but this time, the who's who of the elite actors are tripping over themselves to get in the credits for this so they can brag and pat each other on the back for saving the world while dining at Koi on La Cienega Blvd….

Kinda where I was on this. Not sure I've ever gone hell yeah to **** it I'm out faster on a trailer before.

But…… I'll be reupping Apple for Lasso anyways so depending upon how those thread goes I might give it a chance. Don't let me down TexAgs.
johncAG
AG
I don't care what caused it, I am always in for futuristic weather movies (Day After Tomorrow). That and the cast seems like it will work, even if its preachy
TCTTS
AG
The first three episodes dropped on Thursday and though I was a bit skeptical, I was still genuinely looking forward to a future-set series, with a sprawling, high-profile cast. It's also worth noting that I'm not a climate change denier or anything like that. And yet… I lasted 30 minutes into the pilot before bailing.

This is the most obvious, one-the-nose, eye-rolling, cliched crap ever. Every single scene is either an expositional lecture, a talking down to, banal character work, or laughable caricature, and I could not imagine anything perpetuating the tone deaf preachiness of Hollywood more. It's so bad it almost feels fake; like the show within a movie that's making fun of Hollywood's self-seriousness.

Some of you may find it more tolerable (while the majority would surely despise it even more than I did), but man, this is just not for me. Or anyone, really. Because no one who the filmmakers are preaching to is going to watch this in the first place, and it's just going to beat everyone else over the head, in the most obvious fashion, with things they've either already heard or believe. Between this and Don't Look Up, I could not imagine two less effective climate "message" efforts, featuring a who's who of Hollywood, in attempt to reach as many viewers as possible.
Average Joe
AG
TCTTS said:

The first three episodes dropped on Thursday and though I was a bit skeptical, I was still genuinely looking forward to a future-set series, with a sprawling, high-profile cast. It's also worth noting that I'm not a climate change denier or anything like that. And yet…

I lasted 30 minutes into the pilot before bailing.

This is the most obvious, one-the-nose, eye-rolling, cliched crap ever. Every single scene is either an expositional lecture, a talking down to, banal character work, or laughable caricature, and I could not imagine anything perpetuating the tone deaf preachiness of Hollywood more. It's so bad it almost feels fake; like the show within a movie that's making fun of Hollywood's self-seriousness.

Some of you may find it more tolerable (while the majority would surely despise it even more than I did), but man, this is just not for me. Or anyone, really. Because no one who the filmmakers are preaching to is going to watch this in the first place, and it's just going to beat everyone else over the head, in the most obvious fashion, with things they've either already heard or believe. Between this and Don't Look Up, I could not imagine two less effective climate "message" efforts, featuring a who's who of Hollywood, in attempt to reach as many viewers as possible.
If this is your reaction, then it must be bad. That's to mean that you tend to give things the benefit of the doubt and center things that might lean a little in one direction or the other. If you bailed after 30 minutes then most here might not make the opening credits.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I'd say I'm definitely more "tolerable" of the subject than the average TexAgs user. So my reaction has less to do with the message and more to do with how obvious and cloyingly the message is delivered. It's a dumb way to "preach," and terrible writing at that. Not a single character feels like an actual human being. Rather, they're all just incredibly cliched mouth pieces for various sentiments on both sides of the isle.
schmidthead
I watched the first 3 episodes, and politics aside, it is not a good show. Over-the-top acting, caricatures, death by walrus and all sorts of ridiculousness (talking whales).
tk for tu juan
Alright, based on the reactions this sounds like a good show for some cheesy laughs at unintentional comedy.
CondensedFogAggie
TCTTS said:

This has to be up there with the most insane television casts ever. Nearly every single shot I was like, "Wait, they're in this too?"

Do you think Apple is serious about grabbing a share of the streaming market, will they invest serious $$$?

As a company with the #1 market cap in the world, I don't blame actors trying to get on the gravy train, and I don't mind Apple trying to entertain me.

Also, as far as I can tell Apple seems to be developing new IP's, which is pretty refreshing.
TCTTS
AG
CondensedFogAggie said:

TCTTS said:

This has to be up there with the most insane television casts ever. Nearly every single shot I was like, "Wait, they're in this too?"

Do you think Apple is serious about grabbing a share of the streaming market, will they invest serious $$$?

As a company with the #1 market cap in the world, I don't blame actors trying to get on the gravy train, and I don't mind Apple trying to entertain me.

Also, as far as I can tell Apple seems to be developing new IP's, which is pretty refreshing.

I love what Apple is doing in general. Severance, Shrinking, Slow Horses, and Ted Lasso have all been some of my favorite shows over the past couple years. I'm also enjoying Hello Tomorrow!, WeCrashed was entertaining enough, and I'll even continue watching The Morning Show, despite an abysmal second season.

But so far, Apple's two, big, multi-storyline, globe-spanning series - Invasion and Extrapolations - have been giant misses for me. Invasion was mind-numbingly boring/uneventful for a show and about an alien invasion, while Extrapolations isn't work for me for all the reasons I mentioned above. Again, overall, I appreciate what Apple is bringing to TV, and the swings they're taking, but when you can't even get even me on board for two massive sci-if series, you're doing some wrong, at least in these two particular instances.
PatAg
AG
Has there ever been a series, that has a 'mega' cast of stars, that ended up being any good?
Basically no chance they are telling a coherent story with that many mouths to feed.
tk for tu juan
Watched the first episode last week and the second episode tonight. Watching the first episode to the end is worth it for comedic walrus scene. The second episode is slightly less sh***y, but still stinks of preachiness cranked to 11.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Agree with what has been said. I watched the first two episodes, but my eye rolling and laughing was hitting heavy once the Meryl Streep whale voice was having conversations with Sienna Miller.

I'm definitely out on this one
BCG Disciple
AG
Not sure why I started watching this one. I'm starting the 3rd episode. It is so incredibly bad that I can't look away. The humpback whale dialogue had me glued to the tv.

I can't recall a cast like this with a beautifully shot series that is so incredibly bad. Battlefield Earth esque.
tk for tu juan
It gets even better badder with each episode. Really hits its peak in episode 7
BCG Disciple
AG
tk for tu juan said:

It gets even better badder with each episode. Really hits its peak in episode 7

Looking forward to it. Episode 3 did not disappoint.

These character dive episodes are equally as cringertaining. Alana in episode 3 is one of the worst characters I've seen on tv. Awful person, whose personality beautifully matches. They tease her humanity and slowly let you think there are deeper spiritual forces at work within her that is showing itself as teenage angst, but then the bat mitzvah payoff! Psyche! Can't believe you were gullible enough to think a science based teen believed in religion! Rabbi was so completely humiliated he was forced to resign! Surprised he didn't just kill himself.

Ross' portrayal of a capitalist is too on the nose annoying. First, it's Ross. Second he has weak arguments to justify his actions (allowing the leftists just enough to see a capitalist perspective while empowering them to undress it). Our payoff of course is seeing that the capitalist, in addition to being a philanderer that destroyed his family, is an inhumane crook, like we all knew in the first place! No you may NOT justify your hard work!

This doesn't touch on the shear idiocy of holding synagogue in an indoor building that has standing water several days a week. But they're all so used to it they just where their Saturday rain boots!!

The entire show is geared toward a 10-14 year old mind.

Not sure how much farther I can go. The novelty cringe humor can only get me so far, but they are doing a great job each episode finding new ways to appeal to me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.