Red Rocks Amphitheater question

3,447 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Some Junkie Cosmonaut
digging tunnels
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm headed to a show this weekend and wondering the best way to get in and out of the venue. I'm staying in west Denver (Lakewood). My cousin may let me borrow his car, but not sure yet. Don't really want to drive because I wanna drink and don't know the area and mountains, etc

If I drive, how long should I give to get their pre-show? and how long does it take to get out after a show?

I've read there are cheap shuttles from downtown. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Or is Uber the better choice? Is it hard to get one from there?

TIA
double aught
AG
I don't know, but the travel forum is also a good place for this question.
digging tunnels
AG
search function is my friend on travel board
walton91
Went to see Brandi Carlisle last September. We took an Uber in and a cab out. Had originally planned to Uber out too but there was a long line of cabs waiting when the show was over so we were rolling pretty immediately. There is a parking lot out there but I also remember seeing a line of cars parked along the road for what seemed like a mile
goadius6
AG
BUS TO SHOW is the way to go, seriously, very easy, very cheap

BUSTOSHOW

They have different pick up locations, you can bring a small cooler and beer and drink (or smoke discreetly) on the bus, and you can get back on the same bus you rode in on the way home.

Seriously, it's perfect.

Do not take Uber or Lyft, it's a complete S***show leaving
Tibbers
Bus to show is the way to go my friend. Happy travels!
Hank Mardukas
AG
I 100% would not recommend BusToShow. It was ok in my early 20's, but Uber is the way to go now. I've been stuck broken down on the side of the road with BusToShow, which I guess could also happen with uber, but you can just call another uber instead of waiting an hour for another bus.
Tobias Funke
AG
There is a little shuttle stop all the way down at the bottom of the mountain. We got lucky and just happened to park right next to it on the side of the road, hopped on the shuttle, and got dropped at the front gate. After the show, we walked all the way back down and got immediately back onto the main road.

I know those are vague instructions but it was a pretty good solution that we stumbled upon.
Brandamne
Lots of walking!
johnnyblaze36
AG
You're seeing Billy Strings? Fri or Sat or both?
pb488
AG
upper South lot is typically the quickest exit out of the big lots. probably need to get there 90mins beforehand to get a spot. it's a pretty steep walk in but easy out.

have a couple of beers and pizza at the red rocks beer garden in Morrison before the show.
goadius6
AG
Hank Mardukas said:

I 100% would not recommend BusToShow. It was ok in my early 20's, but Uber is the way to go now. I've been stuck broken down on the side of the road with BusToShow, which I guess could also happen with uber, but you can just call another uber instead of waiting an hour for another bus.
Hmm, seems like an outlier.

You have a better chance of waiting hours for an uber than a bus breaking down, i imagine.

Plus if you follow my instructions and bring a cooler and beer on to the bus, who cares if your bus breaks down?!?!?
MW03
AG
Getting to Red Rocks via Uber/Lyft is a joy. Getting out of Red Rocks via Uber/Lyft is an absolute nightmare.

The mistake I made was not pre-arranging my ride out. I mistakenly thought I could just line up and grab one and be on my way after a short wait. Here's the problem:

Red Rocks is in Morrison, which is a good piece west of Denver. The smart rideshare drivers will be there already, but there aren't enough cars compared to people at the show. With traffic, the drivers will have an hour drive east back to the Denver area, then an hour drive back to Morrison, if they don't take other fares and they decide to make the hike. Most don't.

I was at a summer show and there was a rainstorm, so the show was delayed. We started late, had a great time, but finished really late. Coming out of a show, there were ubers there so I felt solid. I pulled up the app and quickly learned there there would be no ride home for us. Literally. There were no vehicles that hadn't been booked, and none were coming back. Keep in mind that if you get stuck out there, you're properly stuck. In the mountains stuck. I ended up paying some random dude $100 cash to let my wife and I climb in the trunk of a van he had ordered, and $100 cash to the uber driver to take us off the books since he had already accepted the fare. I felt lucky about it, too.

Granted, this was like 2015, and in the 7 years since I'm sure the number of rideshare drivers has increased exponentially, so it may be better. It was also crazy late because of the delay so fewer drivers were out. Confluence of factors that sabotaged me. Still, the prospects of us being stuck had my wife in tears and me in a panic.

I'd rather book a damned limo than deal with that again.
MW03
AG
goadius6 said:

BUSTOSHOW

They have different pick up locations, you can bring a small cooler and beer and drink (or smoke discreetly) on the bus, and you can get back on the same bus you rode in on the way home.

Seriously, it's perfect.

This looks solid, too. No personal experience, but I'd rather have a ride home than get stuck again.

https://rrxshuttles.com/
62strat
AG
Hank Mardukas said:

couldn't you also just call an uber if your bustoshow broke down?
jorgerr96

Can vouch for these CID shuttles. Bus ride was great with them.
digging tunnels
AG
goadius6 said:

BUSTOSHOW

Seriously, it's perfect.

Thanks for the suggestion but it looks like this is out of commission. They have nothing available at all, for any of the shows the rest of the year. It's weird because they have all the concerts listed but no times to choose from, unless they are all already booked
digging tunnels
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

You're seeing Billy Strings? Fri or Sat or both?

Going Saturday, but for Turnpike Troubadours
Pinche Guero
AG
Ill be there Saturday with a group of Ags
Old School Brother
Wife and I will be on the CID shuttle for the Turnpike show on Saturday.

Last time we went, we took Bus to Show, which is about half the cost of CID, but it's a school bus. And when I checked a week or so ago, Bust to Show was sold out for Saturday anyway.
Tobias Funke
AG
Sounds like there's a decent business opportunity out there for an enterprising young texagger in Denver
The Lost
Go early, tailgate, cut yourself off during the show.

Getting out via Uber is hell. It's just not that profitable for them to drive into middle of no where, get lucky on far drive, and leave.
NASAg03
It's not in the mountains and easy to get to off from I70. Parking is free and everyone tailgates. You can hang at your car for a while, drink some water, and grab Chick-fil-A in your way out of the theater all to kill time They have plenty for sale.

Tacos for $14 / 3 pack are amazing, as are the adult mowi wowi with double shots, and they fill you up.

Honestly the shows are so much fun and the drink lines are long enough that it's hard to get drunk there IMO.

Who are you seeing and how long are you there?
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
Sex Panther
AG
Going to my first show at Red Rocks in a few weeks... Lord Huron and Black Pumas
Prophet00
AG
Jealous. I almost got tickets for that show, because we'll be swinging down from Estes that weekend. Wife wasn't convinced we could take our 10 & 12 year old
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Should be a great show! Saw Lord Huron back in October and they're a lot of fun.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.