*** WINNING TIME *** (HBO Lakers Series)

25,518 Views | 243 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of my most anticipated series in a while finally starts next Sunday...

Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty
Season 1 (10 Episodes)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10244600/
March 6, 2022
HBO + HBO Max

ttaggie
AG
Looking forward to it, but how in the world is it not called "Showtime"????
TCTTS
AG
Because that's the name of HBO's rival network. It *was* called Showtime for its entire development/production, though.
Al Bula
AG
TCTTS said:

One of my most anticipated series in a while
seems a bit premature to call it this. I have not seen this blasted on anything other than like one streaming service ad. Might wanna tap the brakes on the hype?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Supposedly Magic Johnson has already come out against this because it paints him in a certain (read: accurate) light.
TCTTS
AG
Why would I "tap the breaks" on something I personally am anticipating? You might as well say that to anyone who has ever anticipated anything after seeing a trailer they liked. Also, I didn't definitively say it was going to be great or "hype" it beyond on my own interests.

That said...

- It's from Adam McKay, who produced/directed the pilot for my other favorite show, Succession.

- It looks incredibly unique/fun/audacious, not just in terms of an adaptation, but in the way it's shot.

- The cast is awesome.

- This is one of the best trailers I've seen in a long time.

- Personally, I've seen a sh*t-ton of advertising for it during NBA games and the like, on social media, etc.

Sure, there's always a chance I might not like the final product, but wagging a finger at someone for starting a thread in anticipation of something like this is kind of weird.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm guessing he misread "one of my most anticipated" for "one of the most anticipated", but I could be wrong.
Sapper Redux
I'm only interested in so far as Bird and the Celtics kick their ass.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Easy, Rod said:

TCTTS said:

One of my most anticipated series in a while
seems a bit premature to call it this. I have not seen this blasted on anything other than like one streaming service ad. Might wanna tap the brakes on the hype?

Uh... anticipation by definition has to be premature. It's excitement for something that's not out yet.

That said, I haven't seen much marketing for this either. But as an NBA fan and huge Succession fan, I'm in for at least the first episode.
TCTTS
AG
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Wasn't Bo Burnham originally cast as Larry Bird but pulled out?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Really looking forward to this.

That trailer is absolutely amazing.
The Porkchop Express
Can't wait for this. Moving to a new house this weekend and sitting down to watch the first episode is my end motivation to get through the grind of the next 72 hours. Fortunately my wife was watching the Super Bowl when the commercial for it came on so I don't have to sell her on it. Fun fact, when James Worthy got busted for soliciting 2 hookers in Houston the night before a game, the dad of a girl I worked at The Batt with was the arresting officer.
TCTTS
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Can't wait for this. Moving to a new house this weekend and sitting down to watch the first episode is my end motivation to get through the grind of the next 72 hours. Fortunately my wife was watching the Super Bowl when the commercial for it came on so I don't have to sell her on it. Fun fact, when James Worthy got busted for soliciting 2 hookers in Houston the night before a game, the dad of a girl I worked at The Batt with was the arresting officer.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you've got another nine days. It premieres *next* Sunday, not this Sunday.
amg405
AG
Pretty fired up about this one as well.

Also have a note to catch Roadrunner (about Anthony Bourdain) on CNN the same night. For some reason my brain is telling me it had a previous release but I didn't see it at that point.

Some great TV coming out soon.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

helloimustbegoing said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you've got another nine days. It premieres *next* Sunday, not this Sunday.

Way to go TC, the move is off!
cajunaggie08
AG
amg405 said:

Pretty fired up about this one as well.

Also have a note to catch Roadrunner (about Anthony Bourdain) on CNN the same night. For some reason my brain is telling me it had a previous release but I didn't see it at that point.

Some great TV coming out soon.
It came out to a few theaters last summer and its been available to buy/rent for a few months now, but its just finally airing on CNN. I don't have cable so I'm still waiting for it to eventually hit HBOMax rather than pay $4.99 to watch it now.
cajunaggie08
AG
TCTTS said:

Its crazy that this show is what led Adam McKay and Will Ferrell falling out.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
cajunaggie08 said:

TCTTS said:

Its crazy that this show is what led Adam McKay and Will Ferrell falling out.
Ferrell is such a SoCal sports guy, went to USC, wanted to be a sports reporter, so you'd have to imagine getting to play Jerry Buss in an HBO show would be a career highlight even for a guy like him who has so many famous roles. And your partner can't even be the one to tell you that they're replacing you with your real-life best friend in the role is some really ****ty move. Not sure I'd stop talking to a guy forever about it, but McKay brought it all on himself for not manning up.

These guys playing Magic and Kareem look incredible. The NBA was so great in the 80s and so much a part of my childhood, really looking forward to watching it with my wife. She loves historical fiction stuff like this.

InternetFan02
AG
Very entertaining premier…everything you would expect from Adam McKay

Jerry west/Jason Clarke steals the show…my favorite character

lol at the Donald sterling cameo

Kareem was great - "**** off, kid"

Magic actor was great and there's some real potential here

John c Reilly is playing himself…distracting…but it would have been much worse for will Ferrell to play that role
TCTTS
AG
Great to hear. Didn't get a chance to watch tonight, but excited to soon.
BurnetAggie99
Good show so far
Prosperdick
AG
InternetFan02 said:

Very entertaining premier…everything you would expect from Adam McKay

Jerry west/Jason Clarke steals the show…my favorite character

lol at the Donald sterling cameo

Kareem was great - "**** off, kid"

Magic actor was great and there's some real potential here

John c Reilly is playing himself…distracting…but it would have been much worse for will Ferrell to play that role
Agreed on Ferrell playing Buss...I realize now why they had to make the change. The show simply wouldn't work with him in that role. I like Reilly though and his take on Buss.

It's amazing they found an actor who had Magic's smile and charisma...talk about good fortune. One quibble though is he's only 6-3 and the camera tricks they're using to make him look 6 inches taller is a bit distracting. The height differential between him and Kareem still works at least. I know it's a nit pick but something that bugged me a little.

Speaking of camera tricks, I loved the different use of camera lenses they used to get that 70's grainy look and then every once in a while they would slip in some hand held shots that look like they used home movie cameras from that era. It really puts you into that time period and back to Ferrell I think he would just pull you out of it (it would devolve into a parody of itself, which I'm sure McKay didn't want).

Anyway, I really enjoyed the first episode and can't wait to watch it all unfold.
The Porkchop Express
Will watch it tonight. Magic is my #2 favorite player of all time so definitely hyped to see him come to life again. The Lakers were 47-35 the year before he got there and started the 79-80 season 25-13, then won 35 of their final 42 games.

His first game as a 20-year-old pro: 26 points, 8 rebounds ,4 assists, 4 blocks, 1 steal.

Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Really excited for the rest of the season based on the pilot.
Duncan Idaho
I spend exactly 0% of my time watching/reading/thinking about any kind of sports that I am not actually playing at the moment. I mean I probably know Kareem as the co pilot from Airplane more than as a sports ball person but that was a lot of fun.
jetescamilla
AG
This was a great 1st episode. As mentioned above I really like how they try to pull you back to the time period with the camera editing. I also appreciate the random breaking of the 4th wall and talking to the viewers. Looking forward to continuing on with this one.
Prosperdick
AG
Holy ****…I just realized Jack Kent Cooke (the owner selling to Buss) is played by Danny ****ing Noonan from Caddyshack. I need him to ask Magic, "how bout a Fresca" since he's channeling Judge Smails.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Prosperdick said:

Holy ****…I just realized Jack Kent Cooke (the owner selling to Buss) is played by Danny ****ing Noonan from Caddyshack. I need him to ask Magic, "how bout a Fresca" since he's channeling Judge Smails.

That was driving me nuts. I didn't want to google it because I knew it would come to me eventually but you just sped up the process.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Who was the dude crying with Magic Johnson at the beginning?
Btron
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Who was the dude crying with Magic Johnson at the beginning?

I'm guessing his agent when they found out he has HIV.
tylercsbn9
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Will watch it tonight. Magic is my #2 favorite player of all time so definitely hyped to see him come to life again. The Lakers were 47-35 the year before he got there and started the 79-80 season 25-13, then won 35 of their final 42 games.

His first game as a 20-year-old pro: 26 points, 8 rebounds ,4 assists, 4 blocks, 1 steal.

How did the Lakers get the first pick in the draft the year after having that record? Did they get it in some trade or something?
The Porkchop Express
tylercsbn9 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

How did the Lakers get the first pick in the draft the year after having that record? Did they get it in some trade or something?
According to Basketball Reference

August 5, 1976: Traded by the New Orleans Jazz (as a future 1979 1st round draft pick) with a 1977 1st round draft pick (Kenny Carr was later selected), a 1978 1st round draft pick (Freeman Williams was later selected) and a 1980 2nd round draft pick (Sam Worthen was later selected) to the Los Angeles Lakers for a 1977 2nd round draft pick (Essie Hollis was later selected) and a 1978 1st round draft pick (Jack Givens was later selected). This exchange was arranged as compensation for Utah signing veteran free agent Gail Goodrich on July 19, 1976.

Losing the coin flip got the Bulls Dave Greenwood from UCLA who played 12 years and averaged 10 points a game. Was a mega-deep draft - 10 of the 22 first round picks played at least 10 years in the league. Draft also had Bill Lambieer taken with the 2nd to last pick of the third round, and the Jazz's Mountain Man Mark Eaton taken with the second to last pick in the 5th round.
Prosperdick
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

tylercsbn9 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

According to Basketball Reference

August 5, 1976: Traded by the New Orleans Jazz (as a future 1979 1st round draft pick) with a 1977 1st round draft pick (Kenny Carr was later selected), a 1978 1st round draft pick (Freeman Williams was later selected) and a 1980 2nd round draft pick (Sam Worthen was later selected) to the Los Angeles Lakers for a 1977 2nd round draft pick (Essie Hollis was later selected) and a 1978 1st round draft pick (Jack Givens was later selected). This exchange was arranged as compensation for Utah signing veteran free agent Gail Goodrich on July 19, 1976.

Losing the coin flip got the Bulls Dave Greenwood from UCLA who played 12 years and averaged 10 points a game. Was a mega-deep draft - 10 of the 22 first round picks played at least 10 years in the league. Draft also had Bill Lambieer taken with the 2nd to last pick of the third round, and the Jazz's Mountain Man Mark Eaton taken with the second to last pick in the 5th round.
Another fun coin flip "what if" is when the Rockets won the flip and got first pick (Olajuwon) in the '84 draft. Had the Rockets lost the flip the Trailblazers would have certainly taken Olajuwon and teamed him up with his former teammate Clyde Drexler. That team would have been VERY hard to beat.

Of course if that had happened the Rockets, already having Ralph Sampson (and not needing another big man in Sam Bowie...Akeem was a special exception for obvious reasons) would have taken the consolation prize...Michael Jordan. Although Ralph flamed out fairly early in his career his first 7 years in the league were very solid and teaming him with the greatest player ever would have been an interesting experiment (especially since Jordan never really played with a "good" big man).

One final note is the story of how Portland drafted Sam Bowie. The GM for Portland (Stu Inman) was friends with Bobby Knight and one day he was talking with him on the phone about the draft. Knight, who had just coached MJ in the Olympics and recognized how special he would be, begged Stu to draft Jordan. Stu responded "but Bobby, we need a center, not a guard" to which Knight quipped "then f***ing play him at center!!!" Stu didn't listen and the rest is history.

I know this has nothing to do with the series but thought I would share anyway.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.