A Barbie movie coming, with Gosling as Ken & Robbie as Barbie

5,647 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by ABATTBQ11
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://deadline.com/2021/10/ryan-gosling-ken-warner-bros-barbie-margot-robbie-1234858848/

I have no idea what to think about this.
TCTTS
AG
The key/glue here is that this is being written by Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig, and directed by Gerwig. Gerwig wrote and directed Lady Bird and Little Women, while Baumbach wrote and directed Marriage Story, While We're Young, Frances Ha, Greenberg, etc. In other words, they're bringing their award-winning indie sensibilities to a big, studio movie, and are likely the only reasons actors the caliber of Robbie and Gosling are involved. I honestly kind of can't wait for this, as it should be super unique and funny, if anything.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sorry but, the ****?
chilidogfood
AG
Sorry, but, they ****?
Not a Bot
AG
Will watch her in anything.
The Porkchop Express
Captain Positivity said:

Will watch her in anything.

Better to watch her on nothing at all!
Duncan Idaho
Based on how great lady bird was, done right this could be fantastic.
Philo B 93
This looks too white even for the Trump family. How are they going to woke it?
Duncan Idaho
Philo B 93 said:

Simple. Make it a commentary on how unbridled consumerism in suburban America ultimately ends with people being neutered but ironically hypersexualized caricatures of the ideal WASP couple.

You know like that barbie song.

But based on the writers, I'd imagine something more heartfelt and engaging
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Let me guess; it will subvert all our expectations of the classic Ken and Barbie and in-so-doing meet all modern expectations of hyped woke culture.

Ken will be a beta ignoramus who needs to be saved.

Barbie will be a headstrong techno-queen heroine.

I'm sure my 8 year old will love it and my wife will hate it.

If they really wanted to break the mold, Barbie would be an overconfident trophy wife who makes rash emotional decisions and gets herself into trouble. Ken would be a polished rational thinker who would walk away from all the baggage associated with her and find someone more down to earth who can cook, be a good mother, and keep a tidy house.
YouBet
AG
chilidogfood said:

Sorry, but, they ****?
How?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Philo B 93 said:

Simple. When they have the inevitable sex scene, both of them will take off their clothes to reveal they are both completely smooth with no genitalia.

Voila! No genders!
maroon barchetta
The Collective
AG
The most genius thing I've read on here in a long time.
Quinn
AG
TCTTS said:

The key/glue here is that this is being written by Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig, and directed by Gerwig. Gerwig wrote and directed Lady Bird and Little Women, while Baumbach wrote and directed Marriage Story, While We're Young, Frances Ha, Greenberg, etc. In other words, they're bringing their award-winning indie sensibilities to a big, studio movie, and are likely the only reasons actors the caliber of Robbie and Gosling are involved. I honestly kind of can't wait for this, as it should be super unique and funny, if anything.
Why would Baumbach and Gerwig take on this project? Money I'm assuming? Which is fine, get that check. I'm a big fan of the work they've done, especially Frances Ha, but this seems like an odd choice.
oragator
Another Gosling movie…

But what's weird here, is how much the director looks like a gosling in 20 years.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/ryan-goslings-wolfman-derek-cianfrance-1234857455/
Rocagnante
AG
Unless this is R rated and Ken & Barbie go on a crime spree ala Natural Born Killers I'll probably pass.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Or...

Ken reads a bunch of QAnon, gets red-pilled, joins the Proud Boys and has to be saved by Barbie who re-educates him into a proper modern beta male.
maroon barchetta
SpreadsheetAg said:

Or...

Ken reads a bunch of QAnon, gets red-pilled, joins the Proud Boys and has to be saved by Barbie who re-educates him into a proper modern beta male.

Use the spoiler tags! You just leaked the plot!
jackie childs
are we gonna get a line where Ken tells Barbie that he wakes up everyday and hopes she's dead?
80s Guy
jackie childs said:

are we gonna get a line where Ken tells Barbie that he wakes up everyday and hopes she's dead?

Or a dream sequence where Ken imagines killing her and going all Hannibal Lecter and feeding her to the neighbors at a cook out.
oragator
July 2023.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/margot-robbie-barbie-release-date-1235241864/
TCTTS
AG
I know someone close to the production, who knows all the ins and outs of what's planned for this, and they were raving about this movie to me the other day. Between Gerwig directing, Noah Baumbach co-writing, and a great cast, I think this is going to be a huge hit next summer. My friend is particularly impressed with Robbie, who's producing as well, and was saying she's laser focused, basically running the whole ship, etc. Robbie not only sounds like one of the nicest people in Hollywood, but she's super driven, and really has her sh*t together when it comes to producing, which is cool to see.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Will it have the Aqua song?
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

I know someone close to the production, who knows all the ins and outs of what's planned for this, and they were raving about this movie to me the other day. Between Gerwig directing, Noah Baumbach co-writing, and a great cast, I think this is going to be a huge hit next summer. My friend is particularly impressed with Robbie, who's producing as well, and was saying she's laser focused, basically running the whole ship, etc. Robbie not only sounds like one of the nicest people in Hollywood, but she's super driven, and really has her sh*t together when it comes to producing, which is cool to see.
The Internet's about to get a whole lot weirder.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Max Power
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

TCTTS said:

The Internet's about to get a whole lot weirder.

TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Prediction: this is one of the biggest movies of 2023.
double aught
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Will it have the Aqua song?
Now we're getting somewhere.
oragator
Brought this back up because with Oppenheimer opening the same day, the barbs and jokes are starting. I kinda hope they stay on the same day because the competition will be epic.

oragator
TCTTS
AG
Gonna be one hell of a double feature.
Madmarttigan
AG
TCTTS said:

Prediction: this is one of the biggest movies of 2023.

I wouldn't bet against this prediction
Formerly tv1113
The Porkchop Express
Would like to see it take on the "Brady Bunch" movie level of satire. God I love Gary Cole in that role.

Alternatively, a R-rated version since Margot Robbie is in it would also be deemed acceptable.

I'd also take this version from SNL with Chris Kattan as the best version of Ken ever.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Saxsoon
AG
Reviving this

This looks like a mashup of Lego Movie and Elf

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.