Moments that shook you

12,264 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by pilgrim82
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Moments in any medium that knocked you on your butt. Can have any emotional valence, but I'm picturing times that took your emotions or intellect in hand and twisted.

I can think of two, which I'll post below.
Ulrich
One is from The Theory of Everything with Eddie Redmayne playing Stephen Hawking. You know how it's going to end, but there is a moment. Early in the movie Hawking seems a little clumsy, your typical uncoordinated nerd. But then he dances with a girl, and for him it's an incredibly happy moment, but you see his hand on her back twisting in an odd way. Suddenly you realize that he's not just clumsy, he's losing control of his extremities. The endearingly clumsy moments gain a new context and you see forward to the physical shell he will become. Incredibly touching moment for me.
Ulrich
The second is from early in the first book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. The story has a few mildly creepy elements to that point, but for the most part it's cheerful village life. I didn't know anything about the series other than that it is fantasy. The main character and his father are back at the cabin, everything is warm and cheery and safe, and suddenly these horrific, broken creatures swarm through the door. It gave me a feeling like when you're about to fall asleep and you jerk awake because you think you're falling. But in that moment it's more than falling, it's that the world tilted on edge and the couch has become the wall; reality has fundamentally reoriented in a heartbeat. I reread that passage sometimes trying to figure out how Jordan pulled that off in text.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Watching the end of Toy Story 3 for the first time after becoming a father.
MooreTrucker
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Watching the end of Toy Story 3 for the first time after becoming a father.
Can't do it. Field of Dreams is hard enough.

Can't watch any dog movie either...Old Yeller, Marley and Me, none of them.
deadhead aggie
AG
April 17, 1994 at the Rose Bowl listening to Pink Floyd play The Great Gig in the Sky. Had to sit-down halfway through the song so that I could collect my thoughts, stop the tears, and teach myself how to breathe again. An extremely intense couple of minutes that most definitely shook me.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
It's become a cliche' now but I saw "The Sixth Sense" during the first two weeks of it's theater release and I'll readily admit I did not have it figured out. At the end, when her ring hits the floor and rolls away as the big reveal starts...I was totally mindfu&#ed. Floored me.

Similar to the Floyd story above....when Springsteen ended his reunion tour in 2000 with 10 straight shows at Madison Square Garden, I was lucky enough to attend two of them. While certainly not one of his "classic" songs, on June 22, he played "Secret Garden" for the first time since 1995. That song was was a huge part of the soundtrack of one of my most cherished relationships. We had broken up since but I wasn't over it...I thought she was my soulmate. When Bruce and the band launched into that, completely unexpectedly, I absolutely lost it. Cried like a baby for the entirety of it. Then a song or two later they played "Backstreets" which is my favorite Springsteen song. Quite the emotional roller coaster that night.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Dear Zachary.
rhutton125
AG
Oldboy. Not just the end but the music at the very end haunted me for days. I have no idea why - just incredibly sad. Hit me in my soul.
MooreTrucker
AG
When I was in high school I lost a really good friend in a car wreck. His favorite song was Songbird by Fleetwood Mac. One of my brothers-in-law was part of the same group of friends.

This past year I was at the wedding of my niece, and the father-daughter dance was...you guessed it....Songbird. His daughter picked it because it was one of her favorite song, completely NOT knowing the history of it with us. My BIL cried through it and everyone thought it was so sweet. I was crying and only a select few knew why. From across the room, my son texted me "pretty rough, huh" and all I could do was nod.
The Dog Lord
AG
Ulrich said:

The second is from early in the first book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. The story has a few mildly creepy elements to that point, but for the most part it's cheerful village life. I didn't know anything about the series other than that it is fantasy. The main character and his father are back at the cabin, everything is warm and cheery and safe, and suddenly these horrific, broken creatures swarm through the door. It gave me a feeling like when you're about to fall asleep and you jerk awake because you think you're falling. But in that moment it's more than falling, it's that the world tilted on edge and the couch has become the wall; reality has fundamentally reoriented in a heartbeat. I reread that passage sometimes trying to figure out how Jordan pulled that off in text.

One of the ones I remember most is from later. It was a simple scene in the grand scheme of the series, but man it hit me.

"My name is Nynaeve ti al'Meara Mandragoran. The message I want sent is this. My husband rides from World's End toward Tarwin's Gap, toward Tarmon Gai'don. Will he ride alone?"
Malachi Constant
AG
The first 5 minutes of UP!
zip90
AG
The entire 6th mini book of "The Green Mile"

The end of "For The Love of The Game"

The end of "Where the red fern grows". Read it when I was a kid and then read it to my Kid every night for a few weeks. Had a hard time reading out loud at the end, but made it through. Found my wife sobbing in the living room cause she had been listening in.

Tanya 93
when Steve Scarborough hit a HR to tie the game in the 3rd game of the 1999 Super regional

He was my mom's favorite player and she had died a couple of weeks before this.

I will forever believe Mom had something to do with it because he never hit HRs. He was small ball guy

And then Truitt hit another to take the lead

We won
Scotts Tot
AG
This Is Us premiered the year after my dad died prematurely. Yes...the show is pretty sappy, overly dramatic at times, and has really gone downhill in the last couple of seasons, but the first few seasons were pretty good. The main theme was some adult siblings grappling with the legacy of their father who died too young. Some of the episodes were hard for me to get through, even though that type of of drama doesn't typically cause a visceral reaction for me.
Bregxit
AG
I took my then girlfriend, now wife, to see James Taylor with the Houston Symphony in 1999. She loved JT so I surprised her with a blowout date. Anyhow all I knew about him was Fire and Rain. The concert was amazing but when he sang Millworker with the symphony arrangement, I absolutely lost it. The story in the song hit me like a ton of bricks. I had ****ed off going to school and was in a monotonous dead end LEO job. It stayed with me, is still with me, and drove me to save the money to get back to school and do something else. Four years later I was at A&M as a transfer into Mays. A year later we got married.

I am glad I am not the Millworker anymore.
Bruce Almighty
AG
The Green Mile was the first movie I saw after my mom died of cancer at 41. The actress that played the wife of the warden was roughly the same age and the makeup done on her when she was really sick was very similar to how my mom looked. It was very difficult for me to stay in the theater.
atag
AG
The movie click when he has a heart attack. I had just lost my dad in the same way. I boohooed for too long. Still refuse to watch it ever again. Hurts too bad.
proudest member of the fightin texas aggie class of 2005.
israeliag
AG
Wow. Have you written James Taylor to tell him this story?
Bregxit
AG
israeliag said:

Never have thought about it. I'm not sure what the point would be.
Eliminatus
AG
I have a really hard time now whenever Taps is played on screen. Like, leave the room kinda effect.
G Martin 87
AG
Malachi Constant said:

Destroys me everytime. I usually just skip over that part now.
G Martin 87
AG
The ending of the final battle in The Last Samurai hits me. The massacre of the traditional noble samurai warriors by uncultured peasant conscripts armed with Gatling guns is a tragic (if cliched) scene. But what really gets me is when they stop firing, and the peasant army bows with respect and deep sadness over the end of the samurai era.
Seabreeze
This always gets me
2girlsdad
G Martin 87 said:

Malachi Constant said:

Destroys me everytime. I usually just skip over that part now.

I always watch that part. It reminds me to enjoy every day with my wife, and girls, because that will be us one day...hopefully when we are old and grey as well.
Carlo4
AG
Schindler's list

- following the girl in the red dress
-Schindler realizing he could have saved more at the end and how everyone that he personally saved consoles him

Just tearing up thinking about it.
Carlo4
AG
superunknown
AG
Arthur's character arc in Red Dead Redemption 2. Chapter 6 is a doozy.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Both of these

JCA1
AG
Anthony Hopkins writing "am happy" on his chalkboard when Tristan returns. Gets me every time.
MooreTrucker
AG
Bregxit said:

israeliag said:

Never have thought about it. I'm not sure what the point would be.
To let him as an artist know the effect his song had on someone that heard it. It's a wonderful story and would really please him to know about it.
heddleston
AG
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was the first movie I saw at the theater after I lost my dad. Had no clue that the plot was gonna be what it was. That was pretty rough.

On the flip side of the dad coin, i watched The Mitchells vs The Machines the other day with my 5 year old daughter. The dad/daughter relationship in that movie choked me up and definitely had some "dont waste these years" moments.

Been listening to the WWI episodes of Hardcore History and while I'm fascinated by it and learned a ton, this has been more haunting than anything else. Definitely have thanked God that I wasn't born 100 years earlier this week.
Eliminatus
AG
I don't even have kids and this got through to me. I got pretty interested in the ceiling during this scene first time I watched it...

(Interstellar time lapse scene)
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
When Nicholson meets his granddaughter for the first time and she kisses his cheek, then they cut to him crossing "kiss the most beautiful girl in the world" off his bucket list.
Mayor West
AG
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.