Kingdom on Netflix

5,786 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by johnnyblaze36
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd never heard of this show until a friend told me to watch it the other day. Looked it up on IMDB and saw it has an 8.5 rating and that it was a Directv original (didn't even know there was such a thing).

Anybody else watch this? Did a search and couldn't find a thread on it. The reviews on IMDB are overwhelmingly positive with lots of people claiming it to be one of the greatest under the radar shows ever.

I'm three episodes in and enjoying it so far. Nick Jonas is actually really good in it and the character played by Jonathan Tucker is fantastic.
hunter2012
AG
Destiny is all, you will not regret it.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
it's amazingly addicting. fiance wanted to watch it on the advice of one of her clients and i was skeptical until the opening scene...then i was all in.
Hey...so.. um
Yeah, this was a good show. I watched all three seasons over about a month. Addicting for sure.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Mr Kelly Ripa and a Jonas brother as MMA Fighters
Great show
Madmarttigan
AG
hunter2012 said:

He is talking about some other show, but yeah probably garbage compared to last kingdom
hunter2012
AG
dang it, was too enthusiastic upon reading the title...
zip90
AG
hunter2012 said:

Are you thinking of The Last Kingdom? Or is that also a thing in Kingdom?

BTW, The Last Kingdom is Also a great show... Utrid son of Utrid.
emando2000
AG
zip90 said:

hunter2012 said:

I think they are. I told a buddy about The Last Kingdom cuz it was sooo good. He started asking me questions about a certain character on "Kingdom" and I had no idea what he was talking about. He like Kingdom so it worked.
johnnyblaze36
AG
I was so confused by the Destiny post.

Just finished season 2 of Kingdom (not "The Last Kingdom").

I'm loving it. Especially considering the fact it has a couple of actors from LOST and one of my favorite characters of all time from The Wire (well the actor, not Bubbles).

After doing some further research about the tattoos and MMA scenes and such the attention to detail is great and it amazes me I'd never heard of this show.

This guy is so great:

SJEAg
AG
The Kingdom with Nick Jonas and MMA, does it end properly? Looks like it was cancelled after the 3rd season. Not sure if I want to start if it doesn't have a proper ending and don't want to research to avoid spoilers.

There another Kingdom on Netflix as well. Some South Korean series, which sounds sort of interesting based on the description as well. Anyone watch that?
ramblin_ag02
AG
I thought people were talking about the Korean series. It's a standard evil Queen versus noble prince trope, but set in Korea and full of zombies
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MookieBlaylock
AG
The fighting is relatively well done and they def put time in at the gym

Some of the story lines straight out of melrose place at times

johnnyblaze36
AG
SJEAg said:

The Kingdom with Nick Jonas and MMA, does it end properly? Looks like it was cancelled after the 3rd season. Not sure if I want to start if it doesn't have a proper ending and don't want to research to avoid spoilers.

There another Kingdom on Netflix as well. Some South Korean series, which sounds sort of interesting based on the description as well. Anyone watch that?

I read through a few non spoiler reviews on IMDB which all said it did come to a proper end. That sounds about right because after two seasons I'm not sure how it could go a lot longer. Not that it's stale or anything, just a pretty straight forward story line well suited for just three seasons seemingly unlike say Deadwood.
johnnyblaze36
AG
zip90 said:

hunter2012 said:

Interestingly I asked a buddy of mine today if he'd ever watched Kingdom that's into the same kind of shows as I am and likely most on this board and he said "Do you mean Utrid..son of Utrid"? Would have no idea what he was saying were it not for this thread.

So it looks like I need to watch "The Last Kingdom" eventually. On season 3 now of the MMA show "Kingdom" and I really have loved it.

Just hide the children when watching. Extreme language, violence, sex, drugs, etc. Very dark and gritty. Reminds me a lot of a non-cop "The Shield" show at times.

johnnyblaze36
AG
Just finished this. Loved it. I was told that apparently it was supposed to be 5 seasons and cut short to three which I was wrong about earlier.

Honestly three seasons was just right. Could have maybe used one more episode for some extra development with one story line but it would have been too much really for another full season. Some really heartbreaking moments in the final season that are really well done.

Highly recommend and I have to say Jay Kulina is one of my favorite characters in tv/drama history. Top 15 at least.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3673794/?ref_=tt_urv
cab559
AG
Just finished it this weekend and was the best drama series I've seen in a longggg time. Maybe since breaking bad, I thought it was that good.

What a grind and some heartbreaking moments for sure. I'd like to think the show was about jay kulina being a 'fighter' given everything he had to go through.

My wife even got into it. At first she thought I liked to watch for all the T&A.

Agree on Jay Kulina as a character to root for. Really loved him and Jonathan Tucker has some serious acting chops.
johnnyblaze36
AG
cab559 said:

Just finished it this weekend and was the best drama series I've seen in a longggg time. Maybe since breaking bad, I thought it was that good.

What a grind and some heartbreaking moments for sure. I'd like to think the show was about jay kulina being a 'fighter' given everything he had to go through.

My wife even got into it. At first she thought I liked to watch for all the T&A.

Agree on Jay Kulina as a character to root for. Really loved him and Jonathan Tucker has some serious acting chops.
Glad to see someone else enjoyed it as much as I did.

The music in it is so good as well and I caught myself rewinding a bunch and hitting the Shazam app a lot to find out who I was hearing.

Here is the playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1sZfuu7DGwdALat2N15L5r?si=p4iC_andR5WOCOv_EStUOw
johnnyblaze36
AG
I had no idea until now the character Keith played Richard Jewell in Clint Eastwood's film as I've never seen it. The guy did such a great acting job that I thought there was something mentally wrong with him in real life.

Now onto "The Last Kingdom".

JW_TXAG13
AG
I just finished watching this show and wow, what a good one. Can't believe I never heard of it until I came across it on Netflix. Jay Kulina FTW
aggie0959
I would have liked to see jay make a run at the title again.
johnnyblaze36
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

I had no idea until now the character Keith played Richard Jewell in Clint Eastwood's film as I've never seen it. The guy did such a great acting job that I thought there was something mentally wrong with him in real life.

Now onto "The Last Kingdom".

I was just watching Cobra Kai recently which I've been obsessed with since day 1 season 1 and didn't realize Keith is the same actor in that show as in Kingdom. I'm a complete idiot.

Bump for anybody looking for a new show to watch. You'll not be disappointed.

Hubert J. Farnsworth
hunter2012 said:

"Fate is inexorable".
SJEAg
AG
Just binged it based on this thread. Crazy entertaining. It seemed to drop/end a lot of storylines rather abruptly, but other than that I have no complaints. I wished it had gotten a few more seasons.
real141
AG
Absolutely fantastic show. Highly recommend it. Jay Kulina actor is insanely talented. Hope now that it's on Netflix that if they get enough views there is a possibility of a new season
johnnyblaze36
AG
real141 said:

Absolutely fantastic show. Highly recommend it. Jay Kulina actor is insanely talented. Hope now that it's on Netflix that if they get enough views there is a possibility of a new season
I had read this thread last night and then just opened google on my phone so naturally it knows to send me an article on Frank Grillo and I see this:

https://ew.com/movies/frank-grillo-looks-back-biggest-roles/

Quote:

Kingdom (2014-2017)

Grillo calls his time as MMA coach Alvey Kulina a "game changer" in every way. "As an actor, it changed my DNA," he says of the DirecTV drama, on which he learned what it meant to be no. 1 on a call sheet. "We fought to make it as authentic as we could." The drama is now finding a second life on Netflix. "I would love to go and do more of those," Grillo says.
I said above I thought it didn't need another season but I was wrong.
Anchorhold
I'm nearing the end of season two and loving it. I just don't know what Nate contributes. Keith is by far my favorite character.

Thanks for the recommendation.
johnnyblaze36
AG
I really liked Nate's character and I think you might grow to appreciate him more in season 3. He represents a good check against his brother Jay and is the polar opposite so it worked for me.

And I agree, Keith is great. The relationship between him and Ryan is fantastic.
snowdog90
johnnyblaze36 said:

I was so confused by the Destiny post.

Just finished season 2 of Kingdom (not "The Last Kingdom").

I'm loving it. Especially considering the fact it has a couple of actors from LOST and one of my favorite characters of all time from The Wire (well the actor, not Bubbles).

After doing some further research about the tattoos and MMA scenes and such the attention to detail is great and it amazes me I'd never heard of this show.

This guy is so great:

You had me at Bubbles. Loved that actor, gonna check this out.
johnnyblaze36
AG
He plays a small part and is only in a few episodes but they are really great scenes.
Anchorhold
johnnyblaze36 said:

I really liked Nate's character and I think you might grow to appreciate him more in season 3. He represents a good check against his brother Jay and is the polar opposite so it worked for me.

Nope. I just finished the show and the Nate character was a waste of most of it's screen time and story had basically no depth or development.
GoAgs92
AG
Entertaining show with an abrupt end.
TexAg2001
AG
I binged this show over the last 6 weeks or so and saw the final episode last night. I'm not an MMA fan at all, but I started watching this after seeing it recommended by several people on Texags.

Sure, it had some eyeroll moments and was a little too dramatic at times, but it was REALLY good overall. The final episode was fantastic.....especially the final screenshot of Alvey staring directly back to the viewer. I could have used another season, but not sure where they could have taken the story from there.
fig96
AG
Hadn't seen this thread till now but binged this a while back and it's really great (but hard to watch at times). Jay is just an incredible character to watch, the actor is in a new show called Debris but I'd imagine playing a very different character

And the actors have all said they want to come back for another season, not sure if the show has gotten enough Netflix views to drive that though.
Diet Cokehead
AG
Watched this at the beginning of Covid. I agree with whoever said it might be the best drama since Breaking Bad. Absolutely amazing show and can't believe it's not gotten more buzz. The Ava storyline was crazy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.