*****HORROR / SCARY MOVIE BRACKET*****

8,350 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MW03
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally got around to finishing this up. Took longer than I anticipated. Muck, you deserve an award for all of your brackets!

Movies: 112
Regions: 7
  • Slasher
  • Psychological
  • Paranormal
  • Monster / Creature
  • Comedy / Spoof
  • Other
  • Free-For-All
Format: Will run voting to get a top 2 from each Region. From there, I will re-seed these Final Fourteen movies and give the top 2 movies a "bye" week in round 1 voting. After the first round of the Final Fourteen, we will have an Elite Eight set up.

I tried to include all of the best, but I undoubtedly will have missed a few movies. I hope that the bracket size and discussion make up for it. I seeded within each region using IMDb ratings.

When putting this together, I had a few Regions that were easier to keep adding to than others, and kept finding more and more worthy bracket movies. For this reason, we have both an 'Other' Region and a 'Free-For-All' Region. They are both more or less a potpourri, but I figured we could have some fun match ups within each of these Regions because of this.

Hope everyone enjoys!

---------------------VOTE HERE---------------------

*****NOTE*****
As I soon remembered when making this bracket, there are a TON of these movies that have one or more editions or reboots over the years. I did not take the time to list out the year of the movie in the bracket. Vote as if you are voting for your favorite version of the movie. For example, The Wicker Man in 1973 vs. Nic Cage in 2006. I thought that this would be a better, more comprehensive way to run the horror/scary bracket.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Great work.
Clearly not my genre. I voted for the 4 matchups where I have seen both contestants.

Only rooting for Army of Darkness.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good stuff.

Gotta say though, that seeding for Scream is just bizarre.
bluefire579
AG
Just to be clear, any movie listed is original, not remake, yes? Want to be 100% sure what I'm voting for
jkag89
MuckRaker96 said:

Only rooting for Army of Darkness.
Hope it goes deep but Hitchcock is a favorite and although he directed a number movies I enjoy more than Psycho and The Birds I'd like either one these two win. Not counting on it but it would be nice. Also rooting for A Quiet Place, a co-worker said it would be right up my alley and she was 100% correct.

Kudos on including Black Christmas, assuming it is the '70s film not the remake. I'm pondering doing a mega bracket for Christmas Movies/Specials I need to come up with a few more "horror" movies other than Gremlins and Krampus. Maybe The Nightmare Before Christmas. Might have to break my rule of actually seeing the film to have a complete bracket. Still December is a ways away.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Check out the note at in the first post:

Quote:

Vote as if you are voting for your favorite version of the movie.
bluefire579
Tanya 93
With the exception of Event Horizon, The Birds is the scariest ever seen

I will not be around large groups of birds/

One time my car was parked next to trees and when I came out there were hundreds of birds in them.

I called a cab and got my car the next day when Kroger had scared all the birds away.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
TREMORS VS. EVERYBODY
The Debt
Is Dawn of the Dead the original or remake? Both are better than 28 days later, but it will matter in later matchups.
jkag89
Read the entire OP for your answer
Chipotlemonger
AG
jkag89 said:

Read the entire OP for your answer

That, or the 2nd post I made on that same question just a few posts up.
lunchbox
No Exorcism of Emily Rose?
Proposition Joe
Seeding Session 9 against Rosemary's Baby in the first round? SMH
Fairview
AG
Lots of underdog votes for me in this one.

It may be unpopular but Psycho didn't do anything for me. Didn't care for it.
The D
AG
I love how gone girl is on there I tell everyone that's the scariest movie of all time
MW03
AG
tough draw for "This Is The End". I love Shaun of the Dead and think it's probably the best zombie movie ever, so it's a no brainer vote. Still, I think This Is The End is an underrated movie.
Ag 11
AG
I freakin love This is the End
jokershady
AG
Really curious to see how the voting plays out here....can see lots of underdogs winning the first round and not because they were seeded bad......just feel the opinions in general will vary greatly with this genre
caleblyn
Poltergeist wins due to that freaking clown giving me nightmares for the past 38 years!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Mid-morning bump! Looks like I have 66 responses so far. There are a few close matchups, and one locked at 50/50.
Proposition Joe
And Cabin In the Woods being categorized under Monster/Creature (where it has to compete with The Thing and Alien) instead of Comedy/Spoof where it would have decimated the competition. Boo! Boo!
Chipotlemonger
AG
The Debt said:

Is Dawn of the Dead the original or remake? Both are better than 28 days later, but it will matter in later matchups.
Got some bad news for you.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Proposition Joe said:

And Cabin In the Woods being categorized under Monster/Creature (where it has to compete with The Thing and Alien) instead of Comedy/Spoof where it would have decimated the competition. Boo! Boo!
I don't think it would have "decimated" the Comedy/Spoof bracket.

Fortunately for you, not enough people are giving Nosferatu any respect! Shame.
bluefire579
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Proposition Joe said:

I don't think it would have "decimated" the Comedy/Spoof bracket.

Fortunately for you, not enough people are giving Nosferatu any respect! Shame.
Nosferatu is a horror classic and creepy as ***** That said, Cabin in the Woods is just so brilliant. I couldn't justify voting against it here. I do agree it should have been in the comedy bracket, but I'm too lazy to make my own tournament
Chipotlemonger
AG
Unfortunately the Comedy bracket was getting crowded and it was just a quick reshuffle. In hindsight I could've thrown it in and removed one of the lower seeds in the Comedy bracket, but whatever.
Proposition Joe
Cabin In The Woods is probably the best movie to even be considered horror genre in the last 20 years. It would be a 1-2 seed in the comedy/spoof region, but in the monster region it can't hold a candle to all-time classics like Alien/The-Thing.

If anything, Nightmare on Elm Street should have taken a spot in monster region. Scream shifted to Slasher, and Cabin in comedy/spoof.

DID THE COMMITTEE EVEN WATCH THESE TEAMS PLAY MOVIES!?!?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Using the seeding system I did, Cabin in the Woods would have been....hold on let me check the numbers...gotta compare it to the Comedy bracket. Ah, here it is! Cabin in the Woods, the "ZOMG best horror movie in the last 20 years" would've been sitting strong at the 14 seed!
Chipotlemonger
AG
There are 3 matchups that are neck and neck! Gonna let this round continue for a few hours and see what happens. They keep flip flopping, and a different one is now at 50/50.
Proposition Joe
Chipotlemonger said:

Using the seeding system I did, Cabin in the Woods would have been....hold on let me check the numbers...gotta compare it to the Comedy bracket. Ah, here it is! Cabin in the Woods, the "ZOMG best horror movie in the last 20 years" would've been sitting strong at the 14 seed!

Because you use the antiquated RPI IMDB ratings for seeding!

Tucker and Dale vs Evil more deserving of a high seed than Scream!? THE COMPUTERS GOT IT WRONG.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Cabin In The Woods is probably the best movie to even be considered horror genre in the last 20 years. It would be a 1-2 seed in the comedy/spoof region, but in the monster region it can't hold a candle to all-time classics like Alien/The-Thing.

If anything, Nightmare on Elm Street should have taken a spot in monster region. Scream shifted to Slasher, and Cabin in comedy/spoof.

Nightmare on Elm Street is the most scared I've ever been watching a movie for the first time. It still creeps me out a little, although I always question why the characters in the dreams just don't sit on the sidewalk outside the spooky house instead of going in.
Proposition Joe
MuckRaker96 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Nightmare on Elm Street is the most scared I've ever been watching a movie for the first time. It still creeps me out a little, although I always question why the characters in the dreams just don't sit on the sidewalk outside the spooky house instead of going in.

May I direct your sir to the 1:00 minute mark in Exhibit A from what can firmly be said is the worst Nightmare on Elm Street movie in the series, #6... Saw it in theaters with 3-D glasses. Didn't salvage it.

Longhorn Nation
I won't claim to be an expert in this genre of movies - I've probably seen a little over half of all the movies in the bracket. But one I did like that I didn't see listed was The Crazies. The scene that sticks with me is the pitchfork scene.
Ol Jock 99
AG
In.
Chipotlemonger
AG
The close matchups have been decided, there are no more matchups closer than 51% to 49%. I am closing the poll and will set up the 2nd round!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.