The Best Movies of 1982 Tourney

5,291 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Yoda
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The year 1982 was one of the best of my youth. I could add 1979, 1981, and 1984 to that list. (Might do a tourney on those years as well).

I found a ranking of the movies to use to seed the tourney. I didn't save the site where I found these rankings, and while I don't necessarily agree with many of them, this seems a mostly fair ranking. There is a bit of theming going on with the brackets - you'll notice there are a number of teen comedies in Bracket 8, horror in Bracket 3, etc, but there are also a bunch of these movies that are likely largely forgotten this many years later.

Here are the brackets with the rankings that I found:

Bracket 1

1. E.T. the ExtraTerrestrial 7.8
2. The Secret of Nihm 7.6
3. The Man From Snowy River 7.3
4. The Dark Crystal 7.2
5. TRON 6.8
6. Annie 6.6
7. The Toy 5.9
8. Megaforce 3.8

Bracket 2

1. Blade Runner 8.1
2. The Verdict 7.7
3. Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip 7.7
4. Sophie's Choice 7.6
5. Diner 7.1
6. 48 Hours 6.9
7. Author! Author! 6.2
8. Silent Rage 5.5

Bracket 3

1. The Thing 8.1
2. The Entity 6.7
3. Basket Case 6.2
4. Q: The Winged Serpent 6.0
5. Visiting Hours 5.7
6. Amityville II: The Possession 5.5
7. Halloween III: Season of the Witch 4.9
8. Parasite 3.9

Bracket 4

1. Ghandi 8.0
2. Conan the Barbarian 6.9
3. The Beastmaster 6.2
4. Death Wish II 6.1
5. Firefox 6.0
6. Things Are Tough All Over 6.0
7. Endangered Species 5.9
8. The Sword and the Sorcerer

Bracket 5

1. Tootsie 7.4
2. Poltergeist 7.3
3. The World According to Garp 7.2
4. The Best Little *****house in Texas 6.0
5. Hanky Panky 5.6
6. The Beast Within 5.6
7. Swamp Thing 5.4
8. Monsignor 5.0

Bracket 6

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan 7.7
2. Missing 7.7
3. Victor Victoria 7.6
4. An Officer and a Gentleman 7.0
5. Honkytonk Man 6.6
6. Forced Vengeance 5.7
7. Young Doctors in Love 5.5
8. Forbidden World

Bracket 7

1. Pink Floyd the Wall 8.1
2. First Blood 7.7
3. The Year of Living Dangerously 7.1
4. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid 6.9
5. Creepshow 6.9
6. Cat People 6.2
7. Fighting Back 6.1
8. Some Kind of Hero 5.8

Bracket 8

1. Fast Times at Ridgemont High 7.2
2. Death Trap 7.0
3. Rocky III 6.8
4. Night Shift 6.6
5. Porky's 6.2
6. Airplane II: The Sequel 6.2
7. Zapped! 5.0
8. Jinxed 4.6

In some of my searches for a listing of 1982 releases, I found some conflicting information on the actual release date of some of these movies. For instance, Porky's. Some sites claim the movie was released in 1981, but I'm basing it on when I saw a movie theatrically. I grew up in a relatively small town, Lake Jackson, so we didn't always gets movies when they may have released in Houston or other big cities. Porky's came to Lake Jackson's old Plitt 4 theater in February of 1982, so I'm including it here.

Vote for 1982's Movies
Bruce Almighty
AG
Quite a few movies on that list I've never seen.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
If I were home along and nothing to do and could choose any of these movie ad that is it, this is my order.

Blade Runner
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
TRON
First Blood
Airplane II: The Sequel
48 Hours
Porky's
The Man From Snowy River
Conan the Barbarian
E.T. the ExtraTerrestrial
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Firefox
Rocky III
The Best Little *****house in Texas ( just to watch A&M win)

I don't think i would even watch many of the others even if I haven't seen them.
Fat Bib Fortuna
I've seen 17 of them. Which is not a lot.

Maybe run the ol' spell checker through it once next time as well.

Ghandi and the secret of nihm sound like $0.99 videos that you bought out the trunk of a car.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Sarduakar said:

The Best Little *****house in Texas ( just to watch A&M win)

Two biggest problems with recruiting today:

1) We don't take into account who can dance and who can't.
2) Maximum of 2 black guys on the team.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ET finally properly seeded.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I've seen 31.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Quarantine has us getting oddly specific and tourney happy
AGnBCS
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I've seen 17 of them. Which is not a lot.

Maybe run the ol' spell checker through it once next time as well.

Ghandi and the secret of nihm sound like $0.99 videos that you bought out the trunk of a car.

Not that it changes anything about what it sounds like but Ghandi was nominated for a bunch of oscars and won a few I believe.
Fat Bib Fortuna
I just meant that he spelled them both wrong, bro.

Gandhi is who you're looking for. and the secret of NIMH.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

In real life, I'm actually a far better speller than evidence from this thread shows.

Results so far are meeting what I think would be expectations, although there are a few surprises (based on the seeding):

The Toy is outpacing The Secret of Nimh
48 Hours is woefully under-seeded and is performing like a #1 seed in blasting Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip
Visiting Hours is currently beating Q: The Winged Serpent
Firefox is doubling up Death Wish II
Porky's is more than doubling up Night Shift

Conan the Barbarian and First Blood have 100% of their votes.
AGnBCS
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Oops !

I'm not your bro! Pal!

Also Excalibur just missed the cut came out in 81 . Woulda been the clear winner .
et98
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Results so far are meeting what I think would be expectations, although there are a few surprises (based on the seeding):

The Toy is outpacing The Secret of Nimh
48 Hours is woefully under-seeded and is performing like a #1 seed in blasting Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip
Visiting Hours is currently beating Q: The Winged Serpent
Firefox is doubling up Death Wish II
Porky's is more than doubling up Night Shift

Conan the Barbarian and First Blood have 100% of their votes.

* The Toy is an awesome movie. The Secret of Nimh is a huge steaming pile of trash.

* 48 Hours is a pretty good movie. Richard Pryor Live isn't a movie at all.

* I have no opinion of Visiting Hours vs. Q. I've never seen either. In fact, I haven't seen a single movie from Bracket 3. The Thing is the only one I've even heard of.

* Death Wish II vs. Firefox is surprising to me. I like Firefox, but I absolutely love the Death Wish series. This was one of the few match-ups where I actually liked both movies.

* Porky's vs. Nightshift is another one where I like both movies; however, Porky's is far better.

* First Blood is my favorite movie on the entire list. I expect it to win it all. So going 100% against a movie that nobody's never heard of makes sense.

Dark horses that I love, but many of you may not have seen:
* The Toy - Richard Pryor is hired by a rich toy store owner to play with his neglected, bratty son. Lots of racial undertones that could never exist in a movie today. A hundred laughs a minute, but touching at the same time.

* Silent Rage - One of the worst...yet best...Chuck Norris movies ever. It's like Walker Texas Ranger fighting a Frankenstein-like mentally ill guy who is seemingly indestructible.

* Zapped! - Scott Baio & Willie Aames. Baio is a high school chem nerd who accidentally gives himself telekinetic powers. Hilarity ensues. Lots of boobs. Seeing Heather Thomas naked was a monumental moment in my life.
AggieRob93
AG
et98 said:

* Zapped! - Scott Baio & Willie Aames. Baio is a high school chem nerd who accidentally gives himself telekinetic powers. Hilarity ensues. Lots of boobs. Seeing Heather Thomas naked was a monumental moment in my life.

This right here.

I watched it again last weekend - it was on SonyHD or something similar. Heather Thomas was something else to an 11 year old then and a 48 year old now!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

I have no opinion of Visiting Hours vs. Q. I've never seen either. In fact, I haven't seen a single movie from Bracket 3. The Thing is the only one I've even heard of.
I saw both Visiting Hours and Q. I honestly don't remember much about VH other than it starred Tom Skerritt, who had been in Alien. I saw Q at a drive-in theater that was located between Clute and Angleton before Hurricane Alicia blew it away just a few months later. Q may still be available on Amazon Prime right now; I watched it over a couple of nights while walking on my treadmill. It was one of those awful, terrible movies that is, somehow, entertaining to watch.

You should watch The Thing. There are three movies with the title, but the best is the one directed by John Carpenter in 1982. The original is in black-and-white, released in 1951, and is actually titled The Thing From Another World. Awesome movie. Then there was a prequel released in 2011 that wasn't bad but not nearly as good as the others.
MSFC Aggie
AG
AggieRob93 said:

et98 said:

This right here.

I watched it again last weekend - it was on SonyHD or something similar. Heather Thomas was something else to an 11 year old then and a 48 year old now!

And I ruined many socks to this poster...

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Gee, I can't even remember obscure movies the way I used to

Quote:

I saw both Visiting Hours and Q. I honestly don't remember much about VH other than it starred Tom Skerritt, who had been in Alien.
The Tom Skerritt movie was actually Fighting Back. Visiting Hours had Michael Ironside in it.
ApachePilot
AG
MSFC Aggie said:

AggieRob93 said:

et98 said:

This right here.

And I ruined many socks to this poster...

i had this poster. Wish I still did!
MookieBlaylock
AG
Fast times is the winner
Really not even a contest
jeffk
AG
If you're interested here's a link to the short story The Thing was based on. It's called Who Goes There? and it's really, really good.

http://www.goldenageofscifi.info/ebook/Who_Goes_There.pdf

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

I have no opinion of Visiting Hours vs. Q. I've never seen either. In fact, I haven't seen a single movie from Bracket 3. The Thing is the only one I've even heard of.
I saw both Visiting Hours and Q. I honestly don't remember much about VH other than it starred Tom Skerritt, who had been in Alien. I saw Q at a drive-in theater that was located between Clute and Angleton before Hurricane Alicia blew it away just a few months later. Q may still be available on Amazon Prime right now; I watched it over a couple of nights while walking on my treadmill. It was one of those awful, terrible movies that is, somehow, entertaining to watch.

You should watch The Thing. There are three movies with the title, but the best is the one directed by John Carpenter in 1982. The original is in black-and-white, released in 1951, and is actually titled The Thing From Another World. Awesome movie. Then there was a prequel released in 2011 that wasn't bad but not nearly as good as the others.
Fat Bib Fortuna
This thing ever moving to round 2? Is the entity the one where the invisble force gets weird on the woman?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
jeffk said:

If you're interested here's a link to the short story The Thing was based on. It's called Who Goes There? and it's really, really good.

http://www.goldenageofscifi.info/ebook/Who_Goes_There.pdf

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

Yeah, I've read Who Goes There many times. I was amazed the first time that I read it that there is actually some dialogue from the story that is also in the movie (crawl away from a hot needle, say)
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

This thing ever moving to round 2? Is the entity the one where the invisble force gets weird on the woman?
I'll let it go through tomorrow.

The Entity is the one where the spirit gets nasty with Barbara Hershey.
JCA1
AG
The beast within was terrible. I remember the poster proclaiming it as the scariest movie ever. As I recall, the dude basically turned into a grasshopper. Even 8 year old me thought it was a joke.
ConsolTigerAg92
AG
Seen roughly 50 of those movies. Not sure what that means.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
ConsolTigerAg92 said:

Seen roughly 50 of those movies. Not sure what that means.
I'll say it means you've seen roughly 3/4 of them?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I've closed the first round with 61 responses. #4 seeds had a few problems with #5 seeds, and 1 #7 seed prevailed over a #2 seed. There were two that garnered all votes in their respective matches. Aside from those two 100% tallies for Conan the Barbarian and First Blood, the highest vote getters were E.T. the ExtraTerrestrial at 98.4%, Fast Times at Ridgemont High at 98.3%, and The Thing at 96.6%.

Results:

Bracket 1:
ET 98.4 - Megaforce 1.6
Secret of Nimh 47.5 - The Toy 52.5
Man from Snowy River 54.4 - Annie 45.6
Dark Crystal 36.2 - TRON 63.8

Bracket 2:
Blade Runner 93.3 - Silent Rage 6.7
Verdict 78.2 - Author! Author! 21.8
Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip 11.9 - 48 Hours 88.1
Sophie's Choice 53.6 - Diner 46.4

Bracket 3:
The Thing 96.6 - Parasite 3.4
The Entity 54.5 - Halloween III 45.5
Basket Case 38.8 - Amityville II 61.2
Q 43.1 - Visiting Hours 56.9

Bracket 4:
Gandhi 69.6 - Sword and the Sorcerer 30.4
Conan 100 - Endangered Species 0
Beastmaster 89.7 - Things Are Tough All Over 10.3
Death Wish II 43.9 - Firefox 56.1

Bracket 5:
Tootsie 94.8 - Monsignor 5.2
Poltergeist 91.7 - Swamp Thing 8.3
World According To Garp 84.9 - Beast Within 15.1
Best Little *****house in Texas 96.6 - Hanky Panky 3.4

Bracket 6:
Star Trek II 94.9 - Forbidden World 5.1
Missing 94 - Young Doctors in Love 6
Victor Victoria 76 - Forced Vengeance 24
Officer and a Gentleman 94.7 - Honkytonk Man 5.3

Bracket 7:
Pink Floyd the Wall 87.5 - Some Kind of Hero 12.5
First Blood 100 - Fighting Back 0
Year of Living Dangerously 82.4 - Cat People 17.6
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid 59.3 - Creepshow 40.7

Bracket 8:
Fast Times at Ridgemont High 98.3 - Jinxed 1.7
Death Trap 63 - Zapped! 37
Rocky III 76.7 - Airplane II 23.3
Night Shift 25.9 - Porky's 74.1

Vote in ROUND 2
Yoda
AG
I've never seen Dead Men Dont't Wear Plaid, but I still was shocked to see Creepshow lose in the first round. That's always been one of my favorite horror films. Very confusing.

YouBet
AG
For me personally, I have to say that Conan vs The Beastmaster is one of the hardest matchups I've seen in all of these tourneys.

expresswrittenconsent
Beastmaster was on WTBS every other day from 1983-1986, and it had everything a 7 yr old could desire- big ass tiger painted black (why was it painted black, who knows, it was 1982 and cocaine), some ferrets, a hawk, rad sidekick and a redhead playmate hottie.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
With 22 responses, I'm ready to call Round 2 done, but we have a tie between Blade Runner and 48 Hours.

I'll keep this open to allow for another response or three.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Missed round 2. Voting now.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Thanks. I'll close it now since we have a winner between Blade Runner and 48 Hours.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Round 2 is back open for business, as I did not notice the tie between Gandhi and Firefox.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Round 2 is now done with 31 votes.

E.T. the ExtraTerrestrian downed The Toy 77.4% - 22.6%
TRON beat The Man From Snowy River 76.7% - 23.3%

Blade Runner edged 48 Hours 51.6% - 48.4%
The Verdict beat Sophie's Choice 72.4% - 27.6%

The Thing owned Amityville II: The Possession 100% - 0%
The Entity whipped Visiting Hours 77.8% - 22.2%

Firefox eliminated Gandhi 53.3% - 46.7%
Conan the Barbarian heard the lamentations of The Beastmaster's women 77.4% - 22.6%

The Best Little *****house in Texas beat Tootsie 51.6% - 48.4%
Poltergeist scared off The World According to Garp 74.2% - 25.8%

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan had more fans than An Officer and a Gentleman 51.6% - 48.4%
Missing eliminated Victor Victoria 75.9% - 24.1%

First Blood gutted The Year of Living Dangerously 90.3% - 9.7%
Pink Floyd the Wall beat Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid 76.7% - 23.3%

Fast Times at Ridgemont High is considered better than Porky's 71% - 29%
Rocky III knocked out Death Trap 93.3% - 6.7%

The SWEET 16 is here
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.