ZZ Top: That Little Ol' Band from Texas on Netflix

6,065 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by boozer93
djktamu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is a must watch for any Texan. I personally love documentaries/rockumentaries, and this one is top notch
ja86
AG
Always been a big fan. i enjoyed it.
djktamu
AG
Also liked the Eric Clapton Life in 12 Bars on Showtime. I really wish every band would have its' own documentary of how it formed, or talk about each artist's life. Great insights and good stories.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Been looking forward to this. Missed it the one or two nights it was in a theater.
Ag_07
AG
Frank Beard did A LOT of drugs.
KidDoc
AG
I enjoyed it as well. Interesting that they are the longest running rock band with the original line up @ 50 years.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
elfurioso92
AG
Glad to see this show up on Netflix, really liked it. I do wish they had gone deeper into the songwriting and studio decisions, particularly as they went from the early albums into Eliminator and beyond but overall this was really good.
Philo B 93
I was disappointed in this documentary. Disappointed that I didn't see it at Alamo Draft House like I should have! Great documentary. I agree that I would like to know how they wrote some of their songs. Where did the idea for Francine or Waiting on the Bus come from? I can't imagine the band sitting around a studio with an acoustic guitar or on a piano thoughtfully penning out the lyrics to Legs. I assume they were just jamming in a barn, and Billy sang whatever could fit with the riffs. Would have been nice to know.
Buck Turgidson
Watched it twice. Really good. I'd like to go back in time to see their show at the Summit in Houston in 1976.
Aust Ag
AG
Ag_07 said:

I had no idea! That was a revelation...though one of the few as Philo said. Not near a deep enough dive into their process.
GoAgs92
AG
Philo B 93 said:

I was disappointed in this documentary. Disappointed that I didn't see it at Alamo Draft House like I should have! Great documentary. I agree that I would like to know how they wrote some of their songs. Where did the idea for Francine or Waiting on the Bus come from? I can't imagine the band sitting around a studio with an acoustic guitar or on a piano thoughtfully penning out the lyrics to Legs. I assume they were just jamming in a barn, and Billy sang whatever could fit with the riffs. Would have been nice to know.

The meaning behind Pearl Necklace and Tube Snake Boogie have just been lost forever I guess.
94DallasAG
AG
Excellent. Seem like really down to earth good guys. And man the videos as I was coming of age in the 80's....
Goat Man
AG
Yup, this was a really good documentary. Interesting to see one of my favorite artists Josh Homme is a fan.
Bunk Moreland
Loved the doc but they only peeled one layer back. Would have loved a deeper dive into the band and journey but what we got was still way better than nothing.
Aust Ag
AG
I've always had the impression that Billy is very private, and this is probably the closest we're ever going to get to the real band. We have to be happy with what we got.
i is smart
AG
Ag_07 said:

He used to rip cigs and drink tab while coaching 3rd base when my brothers played little league with his sons.
dave99ag
AG
I thought it was cool to use Gruene Hall as the backdrop for their jams.
Know Your Enemy
AG
elfurioso92 said:

Glad to see this show up on Netflix, really liked it. I do wish they had gone deeper into the songwriting and studio decisions, particularly as they went from the early albums into Eliminator and beyond but overall this was really good.

Pretty much what I think about it too. Enjoyed it but I love the old Classic Albums series they did on VH1 where they went into great detail on how certain albums were created. I can watch that kinda **** all day long.
JCO 90'
AG
It was really interesting. The only disappointment was that it wasn't even longer. I could have watched a lot more!
JYDog90
AG
Ban Cow Gas said:

Ag_07 said:

He used to rip cigs and drink tab while coaching 3rd base when my brothers played little league with his sons.
where was that?
Potcake
AG
They were my favorite band in my middle and high school years so I loved the early stuff. I kind of lost interest when they changed to fit the MTV mode. I'll definitely watch this.
Big Al 1992
AG
Our neighbors lake house is next to Frank's at Lake Travis - they show their cove on the show.
Liquid Wrench
Potcake said:

They were my favorite band in my middle and high school years so I loved the early stuff. I kind of lost interest when they changed to fit the MTV mode. I'll definitely watch this.
I was a child for the MTV era. Learned their music in reverse chronological order, so it just kept getting better.
i is smart
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Ban Cow Gas said:

Ag_07 said:

where was that?
Lamar Little League in Richmond, TX. He was actually a really good guy that was heavily involved with his kids lives when he wasn't touring from what I saw. He liked to be involved with the coaching when he had the time and was never a problem. The two things I remember about him were the 'Tab' soda and cigarettes.
Liquid Wrench
You may be close to my older brother's age. I remember when he would occasionally come back bragging about seeing Frank Beard's house and cars. Think that was when he was in HS in the mid to late 80s, maybe.

Anyway, finally watched the movie after seeing this thread. Really enjoyed it.

It was great to hear about some of Billy's influences for the 80's sound. I remember reading some critic back in the day blaming Bill Hamm for taking control of the group, so it was cool to find out the truth that the band was in tota control of the music and they loved Hamm.
amercer
AG
Really enjoyed this. Lots of great Texas stuff
jamaggie06
AG
Pecan Grove area or thereabouts, right? At least, that's what I seem to remember.
PlanoAggie
AG
Watched it tonight -- really enjoyed it! Thanks for posting and recommending it!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Watched this tonight as well. Definitely enjoyed it.
BigDawg87
AG
Actually randomly played with Frank a couple of times at Pecan Grove.
Liquid Wrench
jamaggie06 said:

Pecan Grove area or thereabouts, right? At least, that's what I seem to remember.

I couldn't remember if it was Pecan Grove or Missouri City. Somewhere out there in Fort Bend.

"Out in the sticks down Highway Six"
BQ78
AG
You'll like it then because it is more about the early bluesy stuff. They cover that, then Eliminator and the MTV era beginning and the documentary is over with that.
cr06gis
AG
...that story about sending the manager to Country Tavern in Kilgore from the studio in Tyler.

Have a made that drive a few times, the shortest 30 miles in TX
plowboy1065
S
Frank owns about 35 acres in Richmond that used to be in the middle of nowhere and is now surrounded by cookie cutter subdivisions.
07ag
AG
plowboy1065 said:

Frank owns about 35 acres in Richmond that used to be in the middle of nowhere and is now surrounded by cookie cutter subdivisions.
right across from pecan grove park, per fbcad
https://ts.la/eric59704
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.