Theater Types - what is the difference: 4DX, IMAX, RPX, SCREENX, etc.

90,878 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mr President Elect
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to take my daughter to Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker (she's 6)...

I see the Regal Theater near me has so many options (I don't care for 3D and neither would the kiddo).

What's the difference between:

4DX
IMAX
RPX
SCREENX

They all say they are the "most immersive", and "the best" on their descriptions...

Quote:

4DX - Be in the movie
4DX's immersive cinematic experience presents the future of the movie industry
4DX is widely considered to be the biggest innovation in cinematic technology to date. Developed in South Korea by the CJ conglomerate, a leader in the Asian entertainment industry, this amazing, new experience was warmly adopted by the big Hollywood Studios.
Quote:

IMAX - Films To The Fullest
IMAX, an innovator in entertainment technology, combines proprietary software, architecture and equipment to create experiences that take you beyond the edge of your seat to a world you've never imagined. Top filmmakers and studios are utilizing IMAX theatres to connect with audiences in extraordinary ways, and, as such, IMAX's network is among the most important and successful theatrical distribution platforms for major event films around the globe.
Quote:

RPX
Experience the ultimate in movie sight and sound with RPX at Regal.
Ultimate Sight.
Ultimate Sound.
Quote:

ScreenX at Regal

Regal is changing the entertainment landscape with ScreenX: a revolutionary, multi-projection theatre experience that extends the screen to the auditorium walls. This immersive format takes traditional movie going a step further, by surrounding the audience with a 270-degree panoramic visual and putting them in the center of the action. Fly to the farthest reaches of space or explore the depths of the ocean with this incredible technology, and experience the thrill of the movies like never before.

Help me, TexAgs Entertainment, you're my only hope!
schmendeler
AG
it's mostly marketing BS imo.
Phat32
AG
Full 70mm IMAX is my jam.
AquaCasaAg
AG
Theaters vary so much location to location that it is more reliable for you to find one that meets your expectations through trial and error.

I have an AMC Dolby Cinema near me that checks all the boxes when I want on over the top visual and sound experience.
caleblyn
I don't have Regal in my area. I have AMC. They have one theater in all of Baton Rouge that is a Dolby Theater. The seats move a little and has some sound in the seats. It is the best theater I have been to, ever. I have only seen two movies in it, Spidy Homecoming and Dunkirk
CrawfordAg
AG
Which would be the best to watch 1917 once it's widely released? I'm in Austin and was hoping it screened at the Bob Bullock IMAX.
jokershady
AG
I believe the 4DX is the same 3D viewing experience but the extra "D" is for your chair....it'll move, maybe have small speakers around it....

At Universal Studios they have the Shrek 4D experience it was pretty awesome...example:

There's a scene where somebody sneezes right in front of you that's in 3D and there was a small mist of water that hit your face right as it happened.

There was a chase scene and as the characters were moving on screen the chair would angle and move with them.

Coolest one: a scene with a bunch of creepy looking spiders jumped right in front of you in 3D....soon after they dropped to the floor of screen and immediately after you felt a gust of wind hit your ankles to mimic them running past your legs....that got me so good I actually picked my feet up as a reaction....

No idea what actual theaters would have though but I would expect something like this...but not to this extent
Dr. Horrible
We did the screenx one time and it was ok. Nice to have, but it was only for some scenes, so it was a bit distracting when it would go on and off at times. I also got the impression that they might have cropped the main screen to make it work, but I don't know the details of how that all worked. I think it would be better if people filmed their movie with that in mind, but I don't see it taking off quite like that.
Mr President Elect
AG
jokershady said:

I believe the 4DX is the same 3D viewing experience but the extra "D" is for your chair....it'll move, maybe have small speakers around it....

At Universal Studios they have the Shrek 4D experience it was pretty awesome...example:

There's a scene where somebody sneezes right in front of you that's in 3D and there was a small mist of water that hit your face right as it happened.

There was a chase scene and as the characters were moving on screen the chair would angle and move with them.

Coolest one: a scene with a bunch of creepy looking spiders jumped right in front of you in 3D....soon after they dropped to the floor of screen and immediately after you felt a gust of wind hit your ankles to mimic them running past your legs....that got me so good I actually picked my feet up as a reaction....

No idea what actual theaters would have though but I would expect something like this...but not to this extent

This is what 4dx is. The regal by my house has one, saw IT 2 on it; worth to do at least once, but not all the time. Also there is a button you can press to opt out of the water. Also chair would rumble and stuff if you are getting hit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.