On Netflix: Auschwitz - The Nazis and the Final Solution

3,180 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BQCadet
Trident 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is a 6 part documentary including interviews with prisoners and SS members, historical film and photographs, and re-enactments based on historical records.

Worth your time.
Duncan Idaho
The movie "conspiracy" with national treasure Stanley tucci is absolutely wonderful terrifying

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_(2001_film)
Trident 88
AG
I will definitely watch this. Tucci is fantastic. Thanks.
TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

The movie "conspiracy" with national treasure Stanley tucci is absolutely wonderful terrifying

It's on HBO. Definitely with watching.
Trident 88
AG
TrustTheAwesomeness said:

Duncan Idaho said:

It's on HBO. Definitely with watching.
I just watched it. It was interesting to watch the series on Netflix and see what actually happened, and then watch this movie to understand the German leadership's plans.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
My 10 yr old is a history buff and loves watching WW2/Nazi Germany related stuff. Is it appropriate for a 10 yr old?
Tanya 93
I now have Netflix!
I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.

Jane Austen
Another Doug
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

My 10 yr old is a history buff and loves watching WW2/Nazi Germany related stuff. Is it appropriate for a 10 yr old?
You asking a stranger.... on the internet... if a documentary on Auschwitz is appropriate for your 10 year old.

Bruce Almighty
AG
What a weird reply. Nothing wrong with the question.
Madmarttigan
AG
Touring Auschwitz on a trip was one of the darkest things I've ever seen or been around. I can't imagine the documentary is a good idea for a 10 yo.
Another Doug
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I'm not saying they shouldn't watch, I am saying its a multi-part documentary on Auschwitz, everyone knows what it will be like, if anyone knows if its appropriate for a 10 year old, its the parents.

Tanya 93
Bruce Almighty said:

I agree.

Someone told me on my Netflix thread, depending on my views on what is acceptable, Stranger Things might not be appropriate for Benny. But they thought he would love it.

For all the hell Texags can be, they are great in advice on what to watch.
I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.

Jane Austen
Max Power
AG
I hadn't seen Schindler's List in over a decade and gave it a go this week because it's up on Netflix, great film, but definitely not an easy watch. I had gotten to the point I had forgotten that Liam Neeson did non-action films, he's great in it, also heartbreaking at the end when he breaks down thinking he could have saved more people if he'd given up the remaining assets he had even though he paid enough money to save over a thousand people.
rynning
AG

Have you not heard of Apt Pupil?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Beware of Doug said:

Bruce Almighty said:

I'm not saying they shouldn't watch, I am saying its a multi-part documentary on Auschwitz, everyone knows what it will be like, if anyone knows if its appropriate for a 10 year old, its the parents.

Not all documentaries are the same, and how graphic they are varies. A 10 year old may be able to handle interviews, photos, even re-enactments. They may not be able to handle real footage of people being killed.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Trident 88
AG

As you would probably expect, there is some disturbing footage like dead bodies being bulldozed into a mass grave, and a segment about a brothel, and one of the female prisoners mentions how some of the Russian soldiers who liberated the camp ended up raping some of the females to death.

Your call, I guess. I think 10 yo is too young.
hunter2012
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_(2001_film)

Thanks for the recomendation, I just watched it. It was an excellent movie. I liked the underlying narrative that they all knew what they were doing was morally atrocious but each had their own self-justifications for permiting or encouraging it. The epilogue was quite sad to see how many survived to old age getting while getting away with one of highest numerical genocides in human history.

I remember from my college studies that the chilling issue about the Holocaust was the subtle development of it. It took years to justify the genocide even within the SS. But subtle and consistent dehumanization and desensitization eventually led to the final solution. From neighbors to underclass to starving wretches to general pestilence that are not even human. We are almost all are capable of such terrible actions if we're subtley adjusted to it and especially so if we have the blessing of higher authority(wiki the Milgrim experiments as proof). It takes a clear moral mind and brave soul to resist such peer pressure.
Duncan Idaho
You mean it wasn't death camps on day one? But instead a slow steady effort to label them as "other" and to dehumanized them? Well thank God we learned from that period of history and said "never again. "
Southlake
10 years old? Nope.
bushytailed
AG
Southlake said:

10 years old? Nope.

This.
I've seen the first episode.
BQCadet
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

You mean it wasn't death camps on day one? But instead a slow steady effort to label them as "other" and to dehumanized them? Well thank God we learned from that period of history and said "never again. "
POTY
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.