Last movie you watched that far exceeded expectations?

17,255 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bearamedic99
Cavender Neutze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apologies if something like this already exists...

In the vein of the "Social Experiment" tweets going around: What was the last movie that, for whatever reason, unexpectedly blew you away? (Doesn't have to be a new movie)

For me it was Into the Spider-Verse. Such a uniquely made movie that sucked me in from the start.
MelvinUdall
In all honesty, it was A Star is Born, the fact that Bradley Cooper could sing and Lady Gaga was a better actor than expected.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
MelvinUdall said:

In all honesty, it was A Star is Born, the fact that Bradley Cooper could sing and Lady Gaga was a better actor than expected.
Every time Bradley Cooper does well in a dramatic role, it's just one more nail in the coffin that he will never play Sack in Wedding Crashers 2: The Rise of Todd
BenFiasco14
AG
Kingsman, the first one.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Flashdiaz
AG
John Wick... I tend to stay away from movies with proper first and last names.
hunter2012
AG
Edge of Tomorrow- I went into it with super low expectations and left wanting to take my friends so I could watch it again.
TCTTS
AG
Honestly... Endgame. I of course didn't go in with low expectations, but I didn't expect to be THAT blown away, and tear up THAT much on even the second viewing.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Fast Five. Honestly though, I think it's hard to be surprised by a movie anymore. Because of Rotten Tomatoes, even with a movie like John Wick, when it receives a 90%, I'm expecting it to be good.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Also, the last Pirates of the Caribbean was way better than I was expecting.
TCTTS
AG
Good call. Agreed.
NoahAg
I'll go with some animated:

Sing
Inside Out
Claude!
Thor: Ragnarok.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I'd say Bohemian Rhapsody.

Not my typical kind of movie - no explosions, high body count and cheesy one-liners - but I always liked Queen back in high school. I was amazed at how closely Malek (?) resembled Freddie Mercury. It also didn't hurt that the movie was compelling even in featuring some lifestyle choices that I wouldn't find agreeable.

Prior to that, I could probably make a case for Rogue One. All I really recall is reading how troubled that production was, and lots of red flags over it - and then bam, one of the best movies in that series.
Mike Elko
AG
The original Point Break. Thought it'd be decent, but had no idea it'd become an instant classic and cemented in my Top 10.

Side note: The second Point Break is absolute trash.

MelvinUdall
MuckRaker96 said:

MelvinUdall said:

Every time Bradley Cooper does well in a dramatic role, it's just one more nail in the coffin that he will never play Sack in Wedding Crashers 2: The Rise of Todd

That is a solid concern.
bobinator
AG
I'm limiting it to one, but in two different categories:

In the category for 'I randomly threw it on at home one night because I saw it on Netflix but wasn't expecting much because I hadn't heard it was anything special" -- Coco

In the "I figured it was good because of the reviews but it was even better than I was expecting" -- Rogue One
J182
AG
Solo.
Way better than I expected it to be. Really ended up enjoying it a lot.
HtownAg92
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

The original Point Break. Thought it'd be decent, but had no idea it'd become an instant classic and cemented in my Top 10.

Side note: The second Point Break is absolute trash.

Will have to disagree with you on this one. There is no way Point Break (there is only one Point Break) can exceed expectations when you are expecting it to be the greatest movie ever made. Pretty much same goes for Roadhouse.

For me, I would say that I didn't have the highest of expectations for Gravity (what, she floats around in space for two hours?) or The Martian (looks like another Armageddon ripoff), and both far exceeded them.
jackie childs
Spy

I think it's the first Melissa McCarthy movie I saw in a theater and remember thinking it was way better than it had any business being
chipotle
Dredd

I was like, "wow, that was NOT terrible".
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Love, Simon
schmendeler
AG
female ghostbusters. I was prepared for it to be terrible but it was merely meh.
Sbisa04
AG
Secret Life of Walter Mitty - underrated. Really like the movie and the soundtrack is great.
GoAgs92
AG
8th Grade
boy09
AG
hunter2012 said:

Edge of Tomorrow- I went into it with super low expectations and left wanting to take my friends so I could watch it again.
And another movie with a pretty similar concept, Source Code. I really didn't want to see that movie, it looked corny as hell. But a friend dragged me to go see it, ended up being a pretty great movie.
Eliminatus
AG
It was my answer on a similar thread, but I'll reiterate.

The Matrix.

Completely blown away when I saw it in theaters. There are a few movies that come along and cause an observable shift in movies and culture and I'd say that was one of them for sure.
AgfromHOU
AG
Chef
Duncan Idaho
I don't disagree that source code was a good movie, but edge of tomorrow was head and shoulders above it
Bruce Almighty
AG
Taken
CowtownAg06
AG
Kingsmen and Edge of Tomorrow are great calls....

However Guardians of the Galaxy is when I went from mildly interested to all in on the MCU.
Boo Weekley
End of Watch, Sicario and Hell or High Water for me. I love those movies and can watch them any time they are on for some reason. Obviously Hell or High Water and Sicario are in a different tier than EOW in terms of cinematography and production quality, but End of Watch surprised the hell out of me as I went in expecting something completely different.

I would have said Hereditary (which I recently watched) had I stumbled upon it randomly, but I saw it recommended on here and had a feeling it would be a damn good horror flick.
Boo Weekley
Eliminatus said:

The Matrix.

Completely blown away when I saw it in theaters. There are a few movies that come along and cause an observable shift in movies and culture and I'd say that was one of them for sure.
Great call.
MW03
AG
bobinator said:

In the category for 'I randomly threw it on at home one night because I saw it on Netflix but wasn't expecting much because I hadn't heard it was anything special" -- Coco

Great call. That's a fantastic movie. Big Hero 6 as well, for the animated movies category.

For conventional movies, Hell or High Water.

And for comedies I expected a few chuckles from but ended up enjoying far more than I expected, Hot Tub Time Machine and This Is The End.
91_Aggie
AG
It's not that the last movie I saw that exceeded expectations, but it was the first one I saw that met this criteria by a mile.

Shawshank Redemption.
Really I had no expectations at all for it... didn't know a damned thing about it except I heard a few people talking about it in a good way (this was way before the internet explosion and smartphones).

Not a movie I would normally have picked to see in the theater. Bonus was that I convinced my then girlfriend/now wife to see it and she loved it more than I did.

Also Sling Blade in the same category.... that one I heard a little buzz. Told my girlfriend we should see it based on one person's rec.... she went expecting it to be a dumb action movie based on the title.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Eliminatus said:

The Matrix.

1977 Star Wars did this to me at age 10.
The Matrix really was a wow movie also.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.