*** DOCTOR SLEEP *** (The Shining sequel starring Ewan McGregor)

5,324 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TXAG 05
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SoTxAg
AG
Liked this book a lot.
jock1020
AG
Hello Mrs. Torrance
COAg15
AG
Never read this book, nor even knew of its existence. That being said, trailer looks good enough. Though will it hold a candle to The Shining?
Proposition Joe
The book wasn't one of King's stronger efforts, though it was still solid.

Trailer seems to realllllly be pushing "HEY EVERYONE THIS IS THE SHINING. REMEMBER THE SHINING? HERE ARE SOME SCENES FROM THE SHINING!"

Aside from a "cameo" from Horace Derwent, the book did very little re-visiting of Danny's time at The Overlook, so the fact that the trailer is relying so heavily upon it leads me to believe the actual plot is pretty thin.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Guess that answers my question.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Directed by Mike Flanagan, the creator of Haunting of Hill House.

I'm in based on that alone. Plus, it's Ewan McGregor.
Proposition Joe
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Directed by Mike Flanagan, the creator of Haunting of Hill House.

Didn't realize that. I was going to see it anyways, but this probably has me there opening weekend.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saw GG after finishing Hill House and searching his name on Neftlix.

Pretty good watch, actually. Didn't even realize it was a King adaptation at the time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, based on his previous work, I'm surprised he didn't cast Henry Thomas in this one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, as discussed in the Shining thread, Halloran dies in the original movie but lived in the book.

I see the character listed in the cast for this one.

Given how closely they are tying this into the movie, I don't see any way they can bring his character back alive without confusing everyone.

Maybe flashbacks? Or maybe he communicates with Danny via ghost shining? (Like a force ghost.)
TCTTS
AG
Embarrassing fact... I saw The Shining for the first time only just last year. It was in a theater, though, so I at least got the proper experience.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That legit blows my mind...
TCTTS
AG
I don't know how I let it happen. I'm not a big horror guy (even though I realize this isn't straight horror), but I love Kubrick, so I have no excuse...
Know Your Enemy
AG
Have you seen this?

Room 237

TCTTS
AG
No, but I've heard all about it. Will definitely watch before Doctor Sleep.
TCTTS
AG

https://screencrush.com/the-shining-doctor-sleep-comparison/
Proposition Joe
There is so little The Overlook in Doctor Sleep, so it's just really odd that what we've seen is concentrated so much on it.

But I didn't realize that Flanagan in addition to Hill House also did Hush and Oculus -- which were both well above average (not great, but highly competent which counts for a lot in the genre).

So I'd say he's got the skins on the wall to think this could be done well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's one of the most iconic films of all time, so playing that up is the smart play.
policywonk98
AG
Flanagan directing Ewan McGregor as adult Danny Torrence and Rebecca Ferguson as Rose the Hat!?

I'm in. This might actually be a lot better than the book. No offense to King.

Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

Embarrassing fact... I saw The Shining for the first time only just last year. It was in a theater, though, so I at least got the proper experience.

I actually saw it in a theater about two weeks ago. Best way to see it for sure.
TCTTS
AG
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I actually saw it in a theater about two weeks ago. Best way to see it for sure.
Maybe I'll give that a try sometime if I get the chance. Tough to really get into watching on TV.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This was absolutely fantastic. A worthy sequel to one of the best films of all time.

Ewan McGregor, Rebecca Ferguson, and the main girl all hit it out of the park.

And make no mistake, this is a true Shining sequel. More so than I really expected.

If you are a fan of Kubrick's movie, this is a must-see.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Nothing holds a candle to "The Shinning"

shovel pass
AG
If the Shining was Godfather or Godfather 2, this is Godfather 3.
GoAgs92
AG
Read the book on a business trip....

It was decent and worth a read...pictured rose the hat as a much sexier woman than Rebecca Ferguson, who is pretty but doesn't exude sexy.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Given that I quit reading King books after The Tommyknockers or thereabouts, I never knew he had written a sequel to The Shining. I only learned of its existence when I took my daughter to see The Shining at the Alamo Drafthouse last summer, and I promised my kid that I'd take her to see this movie.

So that happened today. I must say that I was impressed with the story and most everything about the movie. I loved hearing what I'd consider iconic music from The Shining in this movie on a couple of sequences, and a darkened view of The Shining's opening shot (helicopter shot following Nicholson's VW as the chopper passes near an island in a lake). I thought Rebecca Ferguson was gorgeous to look at, and I really liked Obi-Wan Kenobi here. And did anyone else have some initial WTF when the train operator guy took off his hat, and with those cornrows, think, was that Colin Craperdick? Obviously it wasn't, but that was the first thing I thought.

I'm also thinking that was not actually Jack Nicholson in the Overlook bar scene but perhaps it was his voice?

Good flick. Not scary but it did have some creepy moments.

One final question - what were those people supposed to be? Some kind of soul-sucking vampires?
TXAG 05
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Given that I quit reading King books after The Tommyknockers or thereabouts, I never knew he had written a sequel to The Shining. I only learned of its existence when I took my daughter to see The Shining at the Alamo Drafthouse last summer, and I promised my kid that I'd take her to see this movie.

So that happened today. I must say that I was impressed with the story and most everything about the movie. I loved hearing what I'd consider iconic music from The Shining in this movie on a couple of sequences, and a darkened view of The Shining's opening shot (helicopter shot following Nicholson's VW as the chopper passes near an island in a lake). I thought Rebecca Ferguson was gorgeous to look at, and I really liked Obi-Wan Kenobi here. And did anyone else have some initial WTF when the train operator guy took off his hat, and with those cornrows, think, was that Colin Craperdick? Obviously it wasn't, but that was the first thing I thought.

I'm also thinking that was not actually Jack Nicholson in the Overlook bar scene but perhaps it was his voice?

Good flick. Not scary but it did have some creepy moments.

One final question - what were those people supposed to be? Some kind of soul-sucking vampires?

Haven't seen the movie but in the book, yes they were vampires who lived on the life force of people. Fear would bring it out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It was Henry Thomas from ET. He usually pops up in all of Flanagan's projects.
P.C. Principal
I still think the Shining is the scariest movie I've ever seen.

Gonna go see this movie this week hopefully. Really excited about it and it sounds like the reviews are positive.
Sex Panther
AG
I really dug it
Sex Panther
AG
GoAgs92 said:

pictured rose the hat as a much sexier woman than Rebecca Ferguson, who is pretty but doesn't exude sexy.

hunter2012
AG
Late to the party on this one since it's probably about to exit the theatres. I really liked it and felt like it was a proper sequel to the original. I especially like Rose the Hat as the antagonist and her group of immortals. Their clairvoyant shots were especially well done like Rose flying through the night on the hunt for the girl. The only part I take issue with is that it seems really unfair for Danny to survive the trauma of the Overlook and the immortals his whole life only to burn down with the hotel. If anyone deserves a happy ending and a quiet life afterwards it's Danny.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.