Latino actors

2,904 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MGS
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Disclaimer - no politics, no social commentary - this is simply a thought/observation.

Was watching S4/E1 of Narcos last night and it occurred to me that most of my favorite actors right now are latinos.

Benicio del Toro, Michael Pena, Pedro Pascal, Diego Luna

del Toro and Pena seem to have a huge range that they can field. Pascal and Luna are perfect for more serious, darker, brooding roles. Regardless, these guys are good. Really good. I might even throw in Oscar Isaac.

Again, just an observation but these guys could be a dominant force in leading male roles for the next 10-15 years. I admit this could be confirmation bias considering they are taking roles in a lot of productions that were already of interest to me but still.
rhutton125
AG
Interesting observation. I read an article the other day about representation in the MCU and it actually matches the U.S. population pretty closely, except - like most of Hollywood - with Latino characters. I think there's actually just one character.

I know that's not TexAg's favorite topic, but it's nice to think that there are some talented Latino actors that are breaking out. I think Pedro Pascal and Luna are each getting Star Wars shows, so they'll be pretty cemented in nerd minds if the shows are any good.
rhoswen
AG
I'm loving me some Jay Hernandez right now.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Really loved Herve Villechaize
Know Your Enemy
AG
astros4545
AG
I think Oscar Isaac is the best of the bunch you listed
Corporal Punishment
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

Really loved Herve Villechaize
Never mind. English-Philippino descent and born in France. WTF was I thinking?

"Dutch-Irish. My father was from Wales"
-F. Drebin
Urban Ag
AG
Well I hope you learned your lesson. About the only thing I hate more than cultural insensitivity is the Dutch.
Aust Ag
AG
rhutton125 said:

Interesting observation. I read an article the other day about representation in the MCU and it actually matches the U.S. population pretty closely, except - like most of Hollywood - with Latino characters. I think there's actually just one character.

I know that's not TexAg's favorite topic, but it's nice to think that there are some talented Latino actors that are breaking out. I think Pedro Pascal and Luna are each getting Star Wars shows, so they'll be pretty cemented in nerd minds if the shows are any good.
I always wondered why Latinos are not represented in Hollywood near the amount the way black actors are. I guess living in Texas, it seems like a 50/50 type representation. But not in Hollywood. You can name dozens of black actors and actresses, but tough to do with Latinos.
Scientific
AG
Luna is annoying to me. Esai Morales is underrated, I don't understand why he hasn't had a quality role since the 00s. Zoe Saldana, Pena, Oscar Issac, and Del Toro lead the pack. What happen to Benjamin Bratt? At some point I though he'd up in a role in Narcos.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Space Mexicans
PooDoo
AG
We've come a long way since the list was Lou Diamond Phillips and Edward James Olmos
DrZ
AG
Jose Jimenez
Bruce Almighty
AG
Scientific said:

Luna is annoying to me. Esai Morales is underrated, I don't understand why he hasn't had a quality role since the 00s. Zoe Saldana, Pena, Oscar Issac, and Del Toro lead the pack. What happen to Benjamin Bratt? At some point I though he'd up in a role in Narcos.

Morales is in Ozark.
Potcake
AG
Danny Trejo and Cheech Marin seem to be pretty active.

The Sheen/Estevez dudes not so much anymore.
p_bubel
I went to high school with Nick Gonzalez, but I've never actually seen anything he's been in.
Corporal Punishment
AG
PooDoo said:

We've come a long way since the list was Lou Diamond Phillips
Also a Philippino
Bunk Moreland
I don't know that I fully gree with the OP in front of the camera because there have been many important ones for years (though maybe still underrepresented)... If anything, the Latino (and specifically Mexican) influence behind the camera in various roles had been most impressive to me the part 20 years.

Cuaron
Inarritu
Guillermo del toro
Lubezki
Guillermo arriaga

Etc
Cancelled
AG
Potcake said:

Danny Trejo and Cheech Marin seem to be pretty active.

The Sheen/Estevez dudes not so much anymore.

Have you seen Emilio recently? The guy looks like a fat clown. He was in that pretty good movie with his dad...I think it was called the Walk.
Rexter
Bruce Almighty said:

Scientific said:

Morales was in Ozark.

fify
Bruce Almighty
AG
Rexter said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Scientific said:

Morales was in Ozark.

fify

I didn't want to spoil anything
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
PooDoo said:

We've come a long way since the list was Lou Diamond Phillips and Edward James Olmos

Louis CK is more Latino than Lou Diamond Phillips.

Ie Lou is not Latino.
Charpie
AG
Honorary. The dude grew up in Flour Bluff
Ragoo
AG
Tony Dalton

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sr._vila
TXAG 05
AG
I thought Oscar Isaac was just a regular old gringo. Had no idea he was Hispanic.
Whos Juan
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Rexter said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Scientific said:

Morales was in Ozark.

fify

I didn't want to spoil anything

To be fair, you can't even recognize him by the end of the first season.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Ricardo Chavira, also from San Antonio!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I have a healthy mancrush on Oscar Isaac.
Boo Weekley
Nm
Presley OBannons Sword
Brian Earl Spilner said:

PooDoo said:

Louis CK is more Latino than Lou Diamond Phillips.

Ie Lou is not Latino.

Mexican-Indian, you son of a *****.
Raptor
AG
Salma Hayek
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

MookieBlaylock
AG
Meh I am going the other way

Some amazing British Irish Icelandic Norway Australian actors and shows out there you will see in 2 years with Latinos and blacks in the roles

MGS
Bunk Moreland said:

I don't know that I fully gree with the OP in front of the camera because there have been many important ones for years (though maybe still underrepresented)... If anything, the Latino (and specifically Mexican) influence behind the camera in various roles had been most impressive to me the part 20 years.

Cuaron
Inarritu
Guillermo del toro
Lubezki
Guillermo arriaga

Etc
Let's not forget all the crap that Roberto Orci has given us.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.