Method acting

3,072 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by bthotugigem05
VanZandt92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As a different topic, I just wanted to throw out my two favorite method acting examples:

Learning about Cuba, having some food

Sean Penn supposedly never left character the entire time:

Daniel Day Lewis

"Daniel Day-Lewis, five-time Oscar nominee, is famous for the extreme measures he takes in preparing for film roles. We see the green shoots of his method in his first on-screen experience - an uncredited part in John Schlesinger's Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971) - where he played a young vandal scratching a car with a broken milk bottle. 'I was recruited along with the other hooligans in my neighborhood', he said, already shaky on the lines between on and off-screen characters."

The Last of the Mohicans

Appearing as Hawkeye in The Last of the Mohicans, Michael Mann's 1992 epic, Day-Lewis learned to track and skin animals, build canoes, fight with tomahawks and fire and reload a 12-pound flintlock on the run. This has become almost standard practice for today's well-prepared action hero, though unusually Day-Lewis insisted on carrying his gun everywhere, including to lunch with his family on Christmas day. When Day-Lewis finished filming, he suffered from hallucinations and claustrophobia; 'I've no idea how not to be Hawkeye', he told Mann.

Duncan Idaho
I am convinced that many posters on Texags practice the method
aTmAg
AG
Anthony Hopkins on method acting:

quote:
"There's no such thing. Well, you can do it if you want, but I don't go along with being called 'Mr. Hitchcock.' I think that's a lot of crap. I just don't understand that. If actors want to do that, fine. If they want to be miserable, that's up to them. I'm not interested. It's a job. I do the job. I'm certainly not going to make my life miserable just to be a character."

quote:
"It's a pain in the a**. Who the hell wants to be with some miserable grump because he wants to get his performance right, so you have to call him this or call him that? It's so boring. I've been with actors like that and they're a pain in the a**, they really are. They're unpleasant to work with and I don't think they're always that good either. I've worked with some awkward customers, fortunately not too many. I go out of my way never to work with them again."

AgPediRPh
AG
How do you mention DDL method acting without mentioning My Left Foot? Apparently, he refused to get out of character and was carried all over the film set.
Duncan Idaho
My left foot? That musical on family guy?
VanZandt92
Didn't realize Penn was in My Left Foot.
Professor Frick
AG
I broke my leg once and had a pin in my left foot for 6 weeks.
Btron
AG
Jim Carey in Man in the Moon. He was in character in and off the set, in between takes etc. when he wasn't playing Kauffman and had to be Jim Carey, he would be Carey doing Kauffman doing Carey.
Not my favorite movie but I remember being impressed with the that and giving e ore respect for Carey as an actor.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight immediately comes to mind.
The Debt
quote:
Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight immediately comes to mind.
And I thought my jokes were bad.
Mr. White
Marlon Brando and almost everyone in A Streetcar Named Desire begat James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause begat Horst Buckholz (Chico) in The Magnificent Seven have all made me a non-fan of Method acting. So much scenery chewing.
israeliag
AG
Tom Hanks has pretty much never left character for all his movies (except Forest Gump).
VanZandt92
quote:
Tom Hanks has pretty much never left character for all his movies (except Forest Gump).
dcAg
As the great Laurence Olivier told Dustin Hoffman who stayed up all night because his character in "The Marathon Man" had stayed up all night...Why don't you just ACT?!?!
bthotugigem05
AG
So I guess Sean Connery does Reverse Method Acting?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.