WARNING if you bank at Wells Fargo!!!

3,073 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 19 yr ago by
MonsterXM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just FYI...

Looks like someone is running a scam against people who use Wells Fargo. This is on Raiderpower, but thought it should be seen here too.

"We get a letter in the mail today from Wells Fargo stating that some of their computers were stolen that contained personal information such as name, address, dob, ss#, and no telling what else.

Then they have the nerve to offer a one year subscription to their credit alert service or some crap like that."

"My mom called me from Houston saying she got a letter too, so she called the bank and come to find out it was a scam, double check before you believe anything or send out any info!"

http://mb10.theinsiders.com/fraiderpowerfrm8.showMessage?topicID=24625.topic
dichotomic
If you fall for that sheet and you're under the age of 60, you probably don't have enough money to worry about anyway.
KUBIAK
AG
That is good news. I am going to law school at Tech and my Mom called me today about the letter. I was pissed.

Also, the year of services offered in the letter are for Wells Fargo I.D. protection. (Yeah right, like I'm going have any confidence in I.D. protection from a company that couldn't protect my personal information in the first place...I should have seen the disconnect!)

I love TexAgs, thanks for the notice.

IMnAg79
AG
That all happened about a year ago on the stolen computers. Unless it is a new break in, I would not worry about it.
Bassmaster
AG
This Well's Fargo scam actually looks legit. My information systems teacher was showing us an e-mail reading pretty much the same thing as this post stated the other day in class. Everything looks legit.....it has the Wells Fargo trademark and all that, but when you move your cursor over the toolbar to see where a response goes, it just lists a bunch of numbers versus the WF website. I can easily see where people fall for this
Ulysses90
AG
quote:
it just lists a bunch of numbers versus the WF website.

You mean the shysters were underhanded enough to use an IP address instead of a plain language name to disguise their identity? What is the world coming to?

http://www.dnsstuff.com/
SnowboardAg
AG
I just spoke with a Wells Fargo agent (got the number off the back of my Debit Card, not the letter) and she looked it up in her recent news release.

On 10/27/04 (1 day after the date of the letter), a news release was sent to their customer service representatives that this was true (for both Mortgages and Student Loans). I would encourage all to call 1-800-687-5120 on Monday, which the teller recommended to make sure this is 100% legitimate. Also, she mentioned that Wells Fargo does not have their own Identity Theft Department (this is outsourced). Therefore, it is possible that this is the case and may not be a scam. I am continuing to research though, as you can tell it is 2am and stressing me out.
Bassmaster
AG
That is correct Ulysses
SnowboardAg
AG
This is NOT a scam. Call Wells Fargo financial services at 1-800-687-5120. They have been receiving many calls thinking this is a scam but it is not.
sixiron
AG
I received the letter a few days ago and emailed WF Financial Services about it and told them that it looks like a scam to me. They replied the next day saying that it is not a scam and that the ID Theft Protection company was contracted out by WF to handle this. I agree that everything about the letter, the situation, and their website looks like a scam...but everyone at WF is saying it's legit.
sixiron
AG
I looked into the "Privacy Policy" page on the 3rd party's website, and the company is TRILEGIANT CORPORATION from Connecticut.

According to the Better Business Bureau:

quote:
Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to a pattern of complaints concerning deceptive selling practices, unauthorized charges to consumers' credit cards, and non-cancellation of memberships following cancellation requests. The company has resolved most complaints presented by the Bureau, however some complaints remain on file as unresolved.

per http://www.connecticut.bbb.org/commonreport.html?compid=41001179&national=Y

SnowboardAg
AG
Maybe that company stole WF's computers so they could get business and steal their customer's identities.
2001%er
AG
Got the letter today for my loans but not one for my checking account. So what's the verdict? Real or fake? Nothing on Snopes about it yet...

ellen_ag2001@hotmail.com
sixiron
AG
UPDATE:

finally, an outside source reporting on it.

http://news.com.com/Wells+Fargo+computers+stolen/2100-1029_3-5437481.html?tag=nefd.top

quote:
Wells Fargo declined to release the number of loan holders affected by the latest theft but noted it was a small percentage of its total pool of 4.9 million mortgage customers and 890,000 student loan holders. Waetke said the number of customers affected was in the "thousands."
gator04
AG
I just called that number and the guy said that they made the mistake of printing the letters on black & white letterhead, which is making everyone think they are a scam. He said you could go to the WF website and find the same credit protection sign-up page, with the only difference being it asking for your account info instead of the verification number on the letter.

Here's the WF site's link:
http://www.wellsfargo.com/jump/insurance/id_theft_protection_tm.jhtml

click on the enroll online buttons and it takes you to the page that looks just like the one given on the letter:

www.selectidtheftprotection.com/wellsfargo

[This message has been edited by gator04 (edited 11/3/2004 1:34p).]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.