General
Sponsored by

28 years ago today

1,001 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by scd88
Aggie12B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Class of '56 Dad passed away. He should have been class of '52, but a trip to Korea courtesy of Uncle Sam delayed his graduation. He suffered with undiagnosed PTSD from the combat he saw in Korea, which I didn't understand when I was young, but would eventually come to understand all too well many years later after my time in combat in Iraq. He worked 29 years as a prison guard for the State of Texas. He always worked the 0500-1300 shift so he would be home when my 3 older sisters and I got home from school. He taught me how to ride a horse, hunt, fish, ride a bike, and drive a truck with a manual transmission. He tought me how to drink beer, shoot pool, play moon and 42. (granted, he did most of those things when I was a lot younger than most people learn how to do those things.) He tought me how to figure out sales tax in my head. He was my baseball coach from the age of 8 til I was 15. He never missed one of my football games from 7th grade all through high school, and missed damned few of my high school baseball games. My love of AGGIE Football and Baseball and all things Aggie are a direct result of his time at A&M. Damn, I miss him.

RIP Dad, I'll see you on the other side.

Those of you who still have living parents, cherish the time you have remaining with them
fc2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sounds like a hell of a man.

My dad was a Korean War vet also and yeah - he carried around a lot of stuff he never talked to us about.
Tatem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fc2112 said:


My dad was a Korean War vet also and yeah - he carried around a lot of stuff he never talked to us about.

My FIL was also a Korean War Vet. He volunteered to go into enemy camp to rescue fellow solider. Lost all his teeth to torture and killed a solider when they broke free. He had/has a purple heart. I'm sure he carried around a lot too. I think I took that for granted when he was alive

They were a special type

T&P to you today
austinAG90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Blue Star post, lost my Father, Class of 63' at 85 back in Feb. He loved A&M as well and some of his ashes are spread around the Quad where he grew up.. T&P to all
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sounds like an amazing dad and person.
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great tribute. Thanks for posting.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.