If your parents are still around…

6,562 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by 713nervy
713nervy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Take a BUNCH of videos of them and/or voice recordings of the stories they tell you about their life and about yours. Start recording every day life, record the funny shet they do or them getting mad and complaining about something that they always complain about. Do this to the point that it's annoying and you have SO many videos of them. Have them tell you every single memory they can about when you were little - and about when THEY were little. Get the stories you've heard 1000x on camera.

You'll be happy you did when they're gone and you can watch them and hear their voice.

Okay thanks bye
Scotts Tot
AG
My dad has been gone 9 years. He died before we started taking photos and videos all the time, so I don't really have any recordings of him other than old family videos.

There is a voicemail on my phone he left the week before he died. It's literally him saying "hey call me back when you get a chance". I can't find it in myself to delete it.
gabehcoud
well this is depressing
713nervy
AG
Exactly.
Aggie Dad 26
I moved outta state to be away from family
Know Your Enemy
AG
I tried to get my dad to write a book about his life for years but he didn't think anyone would be interested. I even offered to transcribe it if he would just record the stories on tape. Really wish he'd have said yes.
Caesar4
AG
My parents aren't a round. They're more like a square.
infinity ag
Scotts Tot said:

My dad has been gone 9 years. He died before we started taking photos and videos all the time, so I don't really have any recordings of him other than old family videos.

There is a voicemail on my phone he left the week before he died. It's literally him saying "hey call me back when you get a chance". I can't find it in myself to delete it.

Don't delete it. My dad passed 1.5 years ago, and I still have all his texts, emails, and his contact info in my phone. I don't ever plan to delete.
ta ta toothy
AG
Scotts Tot said:

Don't ever. Wished I had one
vmiaptetr
AG
Bunch of hoarders.
kyledr04
AG
Back in the 90s, i think i was in 8th grade, I had an assignment to interview 3 people that had been in the depression or ww2. I interviewed my great aunt and recorded it on a cassette. My aunt passed away many years ago. My parents found the tape a while back and gave it to my dad's cousin who said that's the only recording she has of her mom.
B-1 83
AG
We did a really good video of my dad and my 2 aunts together at a family reunion when dad was the youngest at about 88. Great stories about picking cotton, farming, the Great Depression, WW2, rationing, …….. priceless.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
texasaggie2015
AG
Thank you for the reminder. I need to be better about this.

I've gotten very close to my mom as I've gotten older and can't even stand the thought of her one day not being here.
Gunny456
AG
My dad died unexpectedly in 1994. I always put off sitting down and recording his stories and life events. He had been a sheriff for 38 years, was in the real horse Cav from 1937-1941 then went 4 years to war.
I thought he would live till he got old and we would have time to sit and do that.
We don't have any recordings of his voice except he left me a message on my answering machine on a Monday and he died that Friday.
The old answering machine used a small little cassette tape. I still have it but don't know how I can find someway to play it.
Gunny456
AG
You are so lucky sir. I would give anything to have that of my dad.
Fins Up!
AG
My dad took some pictures of Berlin in 1951 that he wasn't supposed to take. They were developed on slides and I have no idea where they are. He wouldn't show them to me while he was alive. I wish I knew where they were.
Moral High Horse
My cousins just put their last parent in the ground on Wednesday. Their look said it all. Call your folks if you got them.
vmiaptetr
AG
Wicked Good Ag
This make me think of my daughter. An update to my phone cause me to lose old voicemails and she call one time asking for something random is now lost for good. The one voicemail I had with her
spud1910
AG
Blessed to still have my mom and dad with me at 81 and 84. Several times a week my dad and I take an hour or so drive around the area where he grew up. It has been mined by a coal company, so much has changed, but still lots of memories. I have been recording him for a couple of years now.
Lex
I'm still relatively young with relatively younger-old parents. I hope we have many years with both. Some of my favorite videos are him and his childhood best friend telling stories and laughing. They look at each other with so much love and respect. Same with mom. I have many videos of her doing random things. Since losing my grandparents I've been collecting moments. I don't have as many aspects as the op mentions. But I have many. I hope I have many more years of collecting. But I'm thankful for all of the time I have and will get.
Duckhook
AG
Just got home from my daughter's wedding reception. My 90 year old mom, her grandmother, did a couple of turns on the dance floor with a few of her grandkids. It was great!
AggieArchitect04
AG
Clinton Haby, Class of 2002

https://storykeeping.com/

Cinematic quality and someone with an excellent demeanor and ability to get people comfortable talking about themselves. I hired Clinton when he was still only doing audio.

Clinton started this company after being let go during the recession in 08/09. He has invested an enormous amount of time, effort, and money and as a close friend I've gotten to watch him elevate his game to new heights. His product and service is truly remarkable.

Highly endorse looking into this as having it after a loved one passes is seriously priceless.
713nervy
AG
OMG everyone already knows Haby, sheesh
AggieArchitect04
AG
Calm your tits
maroon barchetta
713nervy said:

idk Haby
AAM02
AG
713nervy said:

Oh hey.

I obviously agree with your OP 2002%. One of the reasons we bought our new casa was so I'd have studio space to create content teaching people how to DIY legacy films. Coming soonish.

The idea for StoryKeeping came to me when I realized my grandparents' stories (which I loved) were way better when they tell them. Having been at A&M when Bonfire collapsed, losing a bff in a car accident, and being in a head-on with a drunk driver life being precious and fragile is always percolating in my subconscious somehow, I think.

That said, my pro tip for anyone reading is to let the person you're recording know why you're doing it and let that reason not be about death. Passing down wisdom and values to future generations of the family is a great reason. Their ability to tell a certain story better than you can is another great reason. There are many great reasons to give folks the opportunity to reflect on and share their life so let them know what resonates with you.

If folks have the capacity to hire me for the production, great, because I've gotten amazing at it since 2009. But ANYTHING folks capture on their own is better than having nothing. So I love this thread and yes I also love 713nervy. And aggiearchitect04.
Fins Up!
AG
Lex, Every day is a gift! I look at the love that my mom has for my daughter and their bond, and the memories that they are making, and I know it's pure gold. Same with the outlaws. It's about her now and the memories they make.

I wasn't ready to lose my dad when I lost him, but you never are. I felt incomplete for so long. I wanted to know more about his time in Germany, growing up in Luling in the depression, and watch him read the bay for trout. My dad loved to go shrimping. I wish we could go one more time. Mom finally got rid of his old shrimp net that we'd pull behind the boat, but I do still have all his Coleman lanterns that we'd use to go Floundeing with. I have his old spinning reel and his old Hump and Bingo fishing lures (they need to go in a shadow box). It's funny what you hold onto.

How I would have loved to see those pictures he took in Berlin when he was stationed in Germany as a young man. And for him to tell me what they were of.

Cherish each day and take pictures! Lots of them.
Reed McDonald 92
AG
I really appreciate this thread. My dad went on hospice yesterday. His mind is still strong, but he's very weak physically. I'll be in Corpus Christi in a couple weeks to take care of him (and give his wife a break).
I hadn't thought about documenting our time together. But I definitely will now. Thank you!
maroon barchetta
Sorry for what your dad and family are going through.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
15 years after my Dear Dad went to be with the Lord I found a US Army news reel type footage of him marching up a road in France right before his battalion went on the attack at St. Malo.

12 seconds of his life. Looked right at the camera man twice.

Made all my sisters cry when i showed it to them on Christmas Day.
713nervy
AG
maroon barchetta said:

713nervy said:

idk Haby

Now you do. He loves turkeys.
dabo man
AG
Both my parents are dead. My mom drank herself to death at 62 (March 2007), and it destroyed me. Mom was wonderful (her drinking only became destructive once she had an empty nest), and I have loads of pictures of her. No recordings, but I can't imagine I'll ever forget her voice. Mom was a shutterbug, and I inherited that trait from her. I have mountains of photo albums and a scanner. I also have my baby book. I have no complaints in terms of remembering her; only wish she'd taken care of herself and was still alive. She'd be 79. and my son would have a terrific grandmother.

My father is also dead, and the world is a better place without him. He's the one who kept anyone from getting Mom help with her drinking because it would have meant that he had to stop drinking too. When I come across a picture of him, I shred it. I like to think he's somewhere slowly vanishing as I erase him from family history. This b**tard stole $385k from his own father. Did I mention that the world is better off without him? Most selfish person I've ever known.

Parental relationships can be complicated.
dabo man
AG
Mom and me in November 1975. I'm about six weeks shy of being four. We're waiting for my older sister's school bus.

superunknown
AG
How have I never noticed this username. Fa fa flo hi!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.