"Exotic" Food of Friends & Family

2,878 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by nai06
BartInLA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chose to sort out some chicken feet from the soup my mother-in-law made tonight. Sans feet it was delicious.
Anything personally challenging to eat in your first world home?
Salome
AG
I do not enjoy organ meats. So family holidays usually see me skipping dressing & gravy that aren't made by me.
nai06
AG
an in law once made egg gravy to go with the turkey for thanksgiving dinner. It was not good but I think that was mostly because it was poorly made? It was a greyish color, tasteless, and very lumpy. I've never had it before or since.

That being said I've eaten lots of weird (to others) stuff growing up. On my dad's side turkey necks, gar burgers, and lots of random meat Jambalaya were regular fair.

On my mom's side it was haggis, black pudding, kippers, and Irn-Bru.

I still love it all except for beans on toast. **** that noise . Its bland soggy mess.

malenurse
AG
My wife's family grew up dirt poor on a farm. When they slaughtered a pig, her dad would say "we use everything but the squeal"

Blood sausage, brains and eggs, chitlins, pig's feet
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Grandparents were first generation Czechs.

I remember being about 7 years old, eating breakfast with them at daylight. Scrambled eggs and calf brains.

Jaternice was a treat in the Christmas season. Sausage made with head scrapings, lungs, and other offal.

aglaohfour
AG
Fried catfish has been a staple at my dad's family gatherings forever. I cannot stomach it, but it's super important to my dad and uncles that everyone loves it, so I've been pretending to eat it since I was old enough to not get caught scraping my serving of it into the trash. I'm 42 and my dad still thinks I love fried catfish.
NoahAg
How can anyone not like fried catfish?!
BartInLA
Haggis is specifically banned for import into the United States by the USDA due to one of its ingredients: sheep lung, which is an ingredient in traditional Scottish haggis. In 1971, the USDA banned the preservation of livestock lung for human consumption, due to health concerns.
nai06
AG
BartInLA said:

Haggis is specifically banned for import into the United States by the USDA due to one of its ingredients: sheep lung, which is an ingredient in traditional Scottish haggis. In 1971, the USDA banned the preservation of livestock lung for human consumption, due to health concerns.

You just have to know where to find it. I got a haggis guy
UnderoosAg
AG
There's House of Haggis. Henry's Haggis. El Haggis-o Mercado. They're all along Main in the Haggis District.
ARKY AGGIE
AG
Horse steaks are more tender than beef.
BTHO bacon bits!!!
cochrum
AG
Fried mountain oysters. They are good but just can not stomach them.
nai06
AG
more about haggis, another dish I am fond of is a highland burger. Its a regular beef burger with a slice of haggis as well as some mature Scottish cheddar. Sometimes its just a haggis burger and other times the beef patty is custom blend of ground beef and haggis.

Or there's Balmoral Chicken. Its a chicken breast stuffed with haggis and wrapped in back bacon or American style bacon (streaky bacon), and served with peppercorn sauce
Aggie Dad 26
My gf is from Ohio and she was raised by her grandmother who was born in the mid to late 1940s.

Needless to say they eat things this board wouldn't believe
B-1 83
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

My gf is from Ohio and she was raised by her grandmother who was born in the mid to late 1940s.

Try us…..
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
UTExan
Aggie Dad 26 said:

My dad's Yankee (Illinois) relatives couldn't believe we Texans ate black eyed peas. More fool them.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
BartInLA
Aggie Dad 26 said:

Buckeye pie?
AgTrip
I'll eat oysters no problem but steamed clams have that skin on the "foot" that you have to peel off. Fricking foreskin looking skin nearly made me barf at the bar in Boston. Made me think of this damn thing!

Aggie Dad 26
B-1 83 said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

Try us…..

At the risk of being called a liar or a troll... sure

They love adding lettuce to things I never considered but let's start with the "jelly and onion sandwhich." I've been told twice now, don't knock it till you try it. As if I need to try eating onions with jam as a sandwich to figure out if I'd like it. GET REAL! I like onions too and have been known to eat onions raw with my beans!

They put shredded lettuce in their tuna salad. I get the visuals of soggy lettuce in my tuna salad everytime we discuss their tuna fish sandwiches.

Then, this one I definitely don't get. Lettuce on their PEANUT BUTTER sandwiches! Not shredded lettuce, but who does that? GTMFOHWTM

Lastly, and it sounds like some dirty 30s, I don't wanna starve to death, type of breakfast.

Pouring coffee over their toast and eating it. Seems like punishment but... not in Ohio
Aggie Dad 26
aglaohfour said:

Fried catfish has been a staple at my dad's family gatherings forever. I cannot stomach it, but it's super important to my dad and uncles that everyone loves it, so I've been pretending to eat it since I was old enough to not get caught scraping my serving of it into the trash. I'm 42 and my dad still thinks I love fried catfish.

You should low key be embarrassed. I am for you. I mean, read above this and look what I'm dealing witj
aglaohfour
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

aglaohfour said:

You should low key be embarrassed. I am for you. I mean, read above this and look what I'm dealing witj

Who would be embarrassed by a lifelong food aversion? Catfish (actually all fish/seafood) has always caused me to have nausea and it's gotten more severe as I've gotten older. Could possibly be an allergy, but I've never been tested.
IIIHorn
Salome said:

I do not enjoy organ meats. So family holidays usually see me skipping dressing & gravy that aren't made by me.
nvm
combat wombat™
AG
I like a tinned haggis made by The Caledonian Kitchen. It's fantastic. He's won awards for it in Scotland. He also sells presentation haggises.
combat wombat™
AG
My husband's grandmother is from North Dakota and she put lettuce in PB sandwiches. My husband will do that every once in a while. Gross.

They'll also butter bread before adding mayo for sandwiches.

Clabber. Gross
Gunny456
AG
Maybe go get tested?
spud1910
AG
My Mom is from Mississippi. They ate some interesting things. Grape jelly and bacon sandwiches. Banana and mayo sandwiches. Eggs and squirrel brains. My grandfather caught lots of crappie and bream and always fried the eggs.
gggmann
AG
My wife is Thai, so we have maybe what could be considered exotic dishes pretty frequently - chicken feet, pork blood noodle soup, somtam made w/ pla ra, durian, etc. I can eat most of it in small quantities. Now some of the stuff her mom makes when we are back in Isaan is a bit too rough for me.

It's fun to watch our daughter's friends' reactions when they come over while the wife is cooking.
redline248
AG
My bohemian family would eat something they called head cheese. I think it might also be called olive loaf? Anyway, it's like sliced ham, but made with with all kinds of crap, including pig brain. Idk, it never once interested me enough to try it.

The stores around there also sold pigs feet and snouts pickled in jars. Bleh
combat wombat™
AG
Head cheese is literally the scrap meat from the pig's head with aspic/jelly as a binder. Originally, poor folks might buy the head and boil the meat off of it… it would congeal as it cooled… tah dah! Head cheese.
redline248
AG
That's what I figured. Barf!
HarleySpoon
AG
Was living in Toronto back in the early 90's and lost a bet to a Scottish guy. Had to go to his favorite Scottish restaurant in Toronto with him and eat a full course of haggis and Iron bru.
nai06
AG
HarleySpoon said:

Was living in Toronto back in the early 90's and lost a bet to a Scottish guy. Had to go to his favorite Scottish restaurant in Toronto with him and eat a full course of haggis and Iron bru.

Sounds like a nice meal. I am a huge fan of Irn-Bru. So much so, I incorporated it into my overly Scottish tattoo
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.