How long do I keep a destructive houseguest?

5,089 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by PJYoung
Reality Check
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I'm a social worker in Southern California and my wife, who just found out she's expecting our third kiddo, stays pretty busy with my teen daughter and elementary school-aged son.

A few years back, we ended up housing a -- well, I guess he's best described as a needy kid in his late teens though he's technically significantly older than that. Through a significant catastrophe in his life he was left with literally nobody in his life and nowhere to turn to. I found him in our garage and the choices were basically take him in or see him fend for himself in an environment completely foreign to him or -- worse -- be apprehended by the authorities and who knows what would happen to him once he gets bogged down in THAT system.

Things went smoothly at first. He seemed to bond with my son and that was great. But things quickly turned on a dime. First of all, he eats a TON. He's incredibly indiscriminate about what he grabs out of the fridge, out of the pantry, by calling for delivery, etc., etc. It's definitely been a HUGE impact on our family budget. He tries to help out from time-to-time, getting a paper route, odd jobs where he can go unnoticed, etc., but we're getting to the point that we're having to have some tough conversations with our daughter about what her college options are. You'd think with all of the work from home options available he could figure out some way to contribute over the long term, but he's not able to hold down a job.

And then there's a long list of things that have been -- for whatever reason -- inadvertently/ accidentally/ unfortunately destroyed. Small stuff like dishes breaking, kitchen appliances being ruined and the vacuum cleaner being clogged. Always stupid **** -- like trying to use the kitchen blender to create bubbles in the bathtub for a hot tub effect. But a couple of times it's been substantial damage, like a blown up oven and a huge hole in the backyard that he thought would fill with water to look like an island oasis.

Maybe I'm focusing on the negatives too much. Usually he's content to just watch TV and eat junk food. But with the new baby coming I'm really worried that this situation has jumped the shark and it's time for him to move on to be someone else's problem. I hate to end a relationship, and it's sometime difficult to see what our life would be without him. But I think I need to find a way to break the news to him that he needs to embark on a new project.

I'm grateful for any suggestions.
Author of the TexAgs Post of The Day - May 31, 2024

How do I get a Longhorn tag?
Stat Monitor Repairman
This kid should think about joining the Army.

His immediate needs would be met for at least 4-years.

Can eat as much as he wants.

He'll be in an environment where things are made for maximum durability.

$50K bonus for infantry and he'll have the opportunity to dig holes that aren't in your backyard.

He rides it out, save some money, learns a trade, avoid dependas, and comes out with some cash and unlimited opportunity.
JamesPShelley
Look into this... and check other sites/companies...

https://jobs.alaska.gov/seafood/processing.html

Have him do a few three month contracts. That should shape him up.
Ginormus Ag
AG
You are too nice. I would not have let an unknown teen or slightly older male into my house to live with my wife, let alone a teenage daughter. You have been way, way lucky in this department that nothing bad hasn't already happened. I would NEVER put my family in this situation. Also he sounds like a complete idiot to put a blender in a bathtub. He and you are lucky he isn't dead. And the state of CA isn't investigating you for murder.

Find a church to help him. If those still exist in CA. I wouldn't tell him you are kicking him out, I would just say he needs to move on to the next phase of his life and whatever solution is here to help with that transition. Sounds like he is too stupid for the army.

If that doesn't work, pack his ****, drive him to Arizona or Nevada, kick him out and say don't come back. You will be very, very lucky to never see him again. You have done more than enough to change his life. He has not taken advantage of that, and that is on him. You don't owe him anything.

WTH? One in college, one in elementary and one on the way?

Slicer97
AG
How long does it take to grab him by the collar and toss him out the door?

Because that's about how long you should put up with it.
ac04
nevermind, no way this is real. too on the nose.
Jack Klompus
AG
1.) Teach him to be an offensive lineman
2.) Hire him a tutor
3.) Get him a scholarship to Ole Miss
4.) ....
5.) Profit
Ag_0112358132134
This is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT a troll, and anybody who actually takes the time to respond seriously to it is a moron.

Stopped reading after "he's in his late teens but technically way older than that" (what?), and "I found him in our garage." GTFOH.
cr0wbar
AG
B- troll
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
its about a dog, right? I just skimmed, but yall think a kid in his late teens is clogging the vacuum and digging holes?
AgTDub
AG
Is this the plot for Encino Man?
histag10
AG
Has to be a troll, no educated adult is this dumb and still has custody of their children.
Ragoo
AG
Next time accidentally kick the blender into the bath tub. Probably solved.
swc93
AG
AgTDub said:

First thing I thought of.
TJaggie14
AG
This seems like a troll post. I figured the OP is just weirdly explaining the plot to an 80s/90s comedy movie. Some movie like "Harry and the Henderson's" or "honey I shrunk the kids"
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
if its harry and the hendersons i give OP 5 gold stars

wait, is it Alf?!

LOL someone told Alf to join the army
The Porkchop Express
AG
It's Alf. The island oasis gives it away from the time Alf tried to recreate Gilligan's island.

AgEng06
AG
Definitely seems like Alf
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
OP i have been laughing at this for 20 minutes
The Porkchop Express
AG
As impressed as I am by the OP, the first few dead serious responses are the best part of this thread.
Claude!
Send him to Action Dogs USA.
dabo man
AG
Quote:

How long do I keep a destructive houseguest?

I've kept this one a little over four years now, and she is mighty destructive.

La Fours
AG
AgTDub said:

Found this gif of the OP and the kid...

MonkeyKnifeFighter
Reality Check
I believe Sally Jesse Raphael was the queen of sending unruly teens to boot camp.

Author of the TexAgs Post of The Day - May 31, 2024

How do I get a Longhorn tag?
dabo man
AG
OP and house guest in happier times. GENIUS OP!

PJYoung
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

if its harry and the hendersons i give OP 5 gold stars

wait, is it Alf?!

LOL someone told Alf to join the army
BLUE STAR to you.
Slicer97
AG
At least she didn't tear up a real amp.
bmks270
AG
This sounds like fiction.

AggieArchitect04
AG
AgTDub said:

StinkyPinky
AG
So how many sock accounts is Hedge running these days?
GrayMatter
AG
Ag_0112358132134 said:

This is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT a troll, and anybody who actually takes the time to respond seriously to it is a moron.

Stopped reading after "he's in his late teens but technically way older than that" (what?), and "I found him in our garage." GTFOH.
I stopped reading after "Social worker from Southern California" lol
sonnysixkiller
AG
More dr phil *****
Jack Cheese
AG
Nm
The Porkchop Express
AG
Well now my YouTube recommended videos are 95% Alf, so thanks!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.