Unsolicited T-Day advice

3,067 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by gigemags-99
Slicer97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Concerning cornbread: if you're not using Lamb's or a similar stone-ground cornmeal, stop it. You're ruining it. If you're using one of those just-add-water kits, give up and just take the family to a Luby's. They'll be less depressed.

Hard boiled eggs (for deviled eggs or cornbread dressing). Set the eggs in a pot, cover with a 1/2 to one inch of tap water, add a splash of vinegar & pinch of salt, and bring to a boil, uncovered. As soon as it hits a rolling boil, get it off the heat and slap a lid on it. After 13 minutes, not 12, not 14, rinse in cold water until cooled.

Sweet potato casserole, get a 5th of bourbon and a couple pounds of sweet taters and bake 'em (the taters, not the bourbon) at 400 for an hour or so. Pull 'em and let 'em come to room temp and then stick 'em in the fridge overnight. Next day, peel 'em and mix the guts with however much butter and brown sugar you can tolerate with a little bit of cinnamon in a bowl. Add a splash of bourbon as you're mixing. Once mixed, spread in a casserole dish or a foil pan, top with chopped pecans and stick it in a 350ish oven until it's heated to your liking. Drink the rest of the bourbon to cope with that extraneous mess you married into. If you really dislike 'em, throw some marshmallows on top with the pecans.

If you have cool in-laws, brine some quail legs and grill them over a mesquite fire. Once they've sufficiently cooled, shred the meat and mix it in with the cornbread dressing before you heat it up. Just be forewarned that doing so may cause an in-law or 3 (especially if they're 40+ and single and you were dumb enough to share some of your bourbon with them) may offer up an inappropriate thank you gesture.

Turkey, smoked or fried. 'Nuff said.

Pumpkin pie. Don't. Pecan or buttermilk. Pumpkins are for carving at Halloween or a flavor additive for overly plump white chicks at the Starbucks drive thru.

Oh, and adding bacon to any of the above is never a bad idea.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving everyone.
The Real Napster
Don't ever tell me how to fat.
Ragoo
AG
Sweet potatoes are disgusting.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Green bean casserole is ****

Absolute ****
Slicer97
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Absolute ****

Yeah, there's a reason I didn't bring that one up.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Thanksgiving is the #1 day for domestic violence.

Day after thanksgiving the county jail is full.

People get drunk and love to fight with each other at thanksgiving.
TRIDENT
AG
I like the take
fc2112
Slicer97 said:

Pumpkin pie. Don't. Pecan or buttermilk. Pumpkins are for carving at Halloween or a flavor additive for overly plump white chicks at the Starbucks drive thru.
Moral High Horse
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

nai06
AG
Nobody actually gives a **** what you make on thanksgiving. If they do, they need to reassess their priorities otherwise they aren't worth your time.
IIIHorn
Ragoo said:

I yam what I yam.

Girlhowdy
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Absolute ****

It's fantastic if you use a real recipe that doesn't have anything from a can in it.
You're welcome
wangus12
AG

We had a fun time with a drunk/coked out step brother in law a few years ago. Ended with him in the drunk tank that night. Dude has some major demons. He just enlisted in the Army a few months shy of turning 35. Hope it gives him some purpose and straightens him out.
dabo man
AG
Quote:

This. My paternal grandmother was known for her incredible sweet potatoes, and every Thanksgiving I had to politely try them and try not to make a face as she watched.
Slicer97
AG
Oh, one more thing concerning cornbread:

If you're putting more than 2 tsp of sugar in your mix, you're not making cornbread, you're making yellow cake. Stop it.
Slicer97
AG
fc2112 said:

Slicer97 said:

Cut back on the carbs and invest in a french press.
toucan82
french?

hell no
maroon barchetta
wangus12 said:

We had a fun time with a drunk/coked out step brother in law a few years ago. Ended with him in the drunk tank that night. Dude has some major demons. He just enlisted in the Army a few months shy of turning 35. Hope it gives him some purpose and straightens him out.

Yet another male who will skew the data towards men being more of a catch after 35.

He really took one for the team to make that happen.
javajaws
AG
Who needs cornbread to make StoveTop stuffing?!?
Slicer97
AG
Probably the folks that think fine dining involves a little more than going to a restaurant that doesn't have a drive thru window.
maroon barchetta
Just because you live outside a town with no drive-thru windows doesn't mean you can be all judgy.
Slicer97
AG
But I like being judgy.
UTExan
Low carbon Thanksgiving. Serve turkey sandwiches with fruit cup, raw pecans with raisins/dates for dessert and cold brew coffee. Save the planet!
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Slicer97
AG
UTExan said:

Low carbon Thanksgiving. Serve turkey sandwiches with fruit cup, raw pecans with raisins/dates for dessert and cold brew coffee. Save the planet!
Dude, this is Thanksgiving, not a typical Thursday at the school cafeteria.
woodyhayes
Boiled shrimp, gumbo, and garlic bread. Dessert, cherry and apple pie & Bluebell vanilla. You're welcome.
maroon barchetta
woodyhayes said:

Boiled shrimp, gumbo, and garlic bread. Dessert, cherry and apple pie & Bluebell vanilla. You're welcome.

No Tillamook vanilla

Poors.
dabo man
AG
Poor? At my house, the servants drink this for Thanksgiving.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-67466202
Macallan: Rare Scotch whisky becomes world's most expensive bottle at 2.1 million pounds

Quote:

A rare bottle of whisky has been sold for $2.7m (2.1m) - breaking the record for the most expensive wine or spirit sold at auction.

The Macallan 1926 single malt is one of the world's most sought-after bottles of Scotch whisky.

The whisky spent 60 years maturing in dark oak sherry casks before becoming one of just 40 bottled in 1986.

The good stuff (stuff that never hits the market) is reserved for the family.
Hehateme1
I have always heard that Seis de Mayo was the best time to buy favors from some. Many are trying to raise funds to bail out folks who had too much fun on Cinco de Mayo.

Really makes me want to think
superunknown
AG
UTExan said:

why would you even try low carb on thanksgiving
555-PINF
Completely wrong way to boil an egg, but you do you.
gigemags-99
AG
I love green bean casserole and pumpkin pie - although pecan / chocolate pecan is my favorite. Also don't mind out of the box stuffing since everything else is made from scratch, including the pies. It's all going to be covered in gravy, so whatever.

Edit to add: sweet potato casserole is disgusting…it's just churched up baby food.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.