So, we stayed at the Texas A&M Hotel this weekend. What do you think of my complaint?

8,229 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Texker
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GarlandAg2012
AG
Seems reasonable if I'm picturing the chairs correctly. Got a pic of them? Maybe they could even just modify the chairs slightly to fix them by passing some sort of cover on the sides so kids can't crawl under them.
Southlake
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Damn. They have a rooftop pool? That's awesome!

Email sounds reasonable to me.

Back to hotel, Is it independently run or affiliated with a hotel chain conglomerate?
Southlake
ME92
AG
(Old YMCA life guard here)

I haven't seen the pool nor furniture. If they are as described then it is definitely a potential safety issue. Good job spotting it.

This is a well written letter that actually describes the situation and possible issue without resorting to emotion driven hysteria. This is how people should work to get things done.

I hope that the pool management acts on this issue now because just one drowning is too many.
Al Bula
AG
A pool itself is a drowning hazard for young children. Parents need to be watching their children at all times and if socializing or drinking alcohol takes them away from that, then they shouldn't be taking their children to a pool.

Don't blame a hotel or their furniture for being a crappy parent.
Southlake
Jack Cheese
AG
GM ain't reading all that tl;dr. Should have written that in 3 sentences or less, or better yet 3 bullet points.
Seven Costanza
AG
This is pool

AgLA06
AG
I feel like you mean well, but are making up an issue that isn't there. I imagine in rules posted no children under a certain age are allowed in the pool without adult supervision.
maroon barchetta
Or, his secret plan is to have the pool turned into a kid-free zone.
hoosier-daddy
Southlake said:

username checks out
Southlake
LupinusTexensis
I appreciate that. As someone who has been in hundreds if not thousands of plants across the world, it's amazing the variety and types of safety hazards you come across. I always mention any safety improvement that could be made. Might make the difference in someone's life if the company gives a ***** Some do, some do not.
The Fife
I've been away long enough that I have no idea where that is. Did they build on top of the southside parking lot or somehow figure out how to build a pool on top of the MSC?
UmustBKidding
No more cain hall, on top of that and the grove
The Fife
No more Rocky Horror Picture Show at The Grove

F
AgLA06
AG
Southlake said:

AgLA06 said:

I feel like you mean well, but are making up an issue that isn't there. I imagine in rules posted no children under a certain age are allowed in the pool without adult supervision.
Again, it doesn't work that way. Doesn't matter who's to blame; those chairs can be dangerous.

Your tongue can be dangerous. So can the sidewalk.

HSE justifying jobs and construction CYA safety has gotten ridiculous.

Those chairs are common.
maroon barchetta
The Fife said:

F

Parking garage is where The Grove was.

Hotel is where Cain and (later) Cain Park was.

No more MSC Hotel rooms.
rwtxag83
AG
maroon barchetta said:

The Fife said:

F

Parking garage is where The Grove was.

Hotel is where Cain and (later) Cain Park was.

No more MSC Hotel rooms.
If I'm not mistaken, they left about 4 rooms remaining in the MSC after the big remodel. I always wanted to stay in one, but it never worked out. They say the 4 remaining rooms are pretty much constantly used by the University by people visiting on official University business.

I'd still like to stay there just to experience it.
AgLA06
AG
My family stayed there a couple times when visiting me at school. They may have renovated it when the redid the MSC, but at the time it was nothing to wright home about.
rwtxag83
AG
AgLA06 said:

My family stayed there a couple times when visiting me at school. They may have renovated it when the redid the MSC, but at the time it was nothing to wright home about.
I've heard that from a couple of people. They looked like they were done in the 50s or60s, but I also heard they were always immaculate. Maybe they re-decorated them as part of the MSC update.

I still would like to stay there, if for no other reason than being able to say you spent the night in the MSC and it wasn't on a couch or under a desk being undiscovered by security.
AgLA06
AG
I'm sure it changed, but I believe the plan was to renovate and keep for official school use only. Board of Regents and system meetings, etc. So I'd be surprised if they rented them out anymore.

Although, I imagine VIPs would rather be at the A&M hotel with the bar and amenities.
The Fife
But without the bowling alley..... which I'm probably about to be told no longer exists either.
maroon barchetta
It's gone.
Texasclipper
AG
We have stayed in the Guest Suites at the MSC post MSC remodel about 3 times. If i recall there were about 4-6 of them, each with their own theme such as Reveille, Aggie Football, Century Tree, Elephant Walk etc. The rooms where modern and consisted of a living room, bedroom, kitchen, and bath. They were very nice. Free parking was located right outside the door of the drill field side of the building. If you went during a non-event period, you could usually get a room and the rates were in the just over $200 (i think). Last time we were there was for ring day for my wife in 2018. I was shocked when we got a room for that day and it was so conveniently located for the ring festivities.

Unfortunately with the new hotel across the street, I believe these are gone now as i saw they went out for bids to demo them in 2021. Sadly you can't touch an equivalent room in the new hotel for the prices they charged at the MSC. Granted, everything is higher now, but those rooms were a bargain even in the pre-Covid days for their exclusivity and privacy. People just didn't know about them.

These pics are of the Elephant Walk Suite

NoahAg
OP is why pools don't have high dives anymore.
AgLA06
AG
NoahAg said:

OP is why pools don't have high dives any kind of diving board or slide anymore.
maroon barchetta
LupinusTexensis said:

I appreciate that. As someone who has been in hundreds if not thousands of plants across the world, it's amazing the variety and types of safety hazards you come across. I always mention any safety improvement that could be made. Might make the difference in someone's life if the company gives a ***** Some do, some do not.

Agreed.

A fresh set of eyes in any workplace is a good way to spot a deficiency you might have otherwise not noticed because you have walked by it 1000 times.
Southlake
AgLA06
AG
Have you written a letter to the city to ask them to remove the street gutters so kids don't get their head stuck and drown yet?
Lake08
The letter is proper, however I disagree with what you're saying.
OldAg92
AG
Honest question - how would a child get underneath the chair in the first place but then be trapped and unable to get back out? Seems the point of entry would also be a point of exit
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.