Do you think the song, "Dixie"is racist?

3,785 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Sticks&Stones
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggieband used to play Dixie then shift into The Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Not anymore.
C@LAg
Do I think the song is racist?

no.

Do I think the music should be banned?

Absolutely not.

Do I think the Aggie Band should still be able to play it?

Yes.

Do I think the most common version of the song's lyrics grossly mispresents "Dixieland" and misrepresents slavery?

yes.
Not a Bot
AG
It's a pretty catchy tune. Never really considered the lyrics before.

Whoever edited the description in Wikipedia seems to strongly believe that it was consistently used in blackface minstrel shows. Lyrics could be interpreted as a slave longing to be in the cotton fields on the plantation. I've always interpreted it from the Civil War point of view of soldiers longing to be back home.
The Dirty Sock
I heard slave owners drank water. Can you believe all these whites these days drinking that s***?
lotsofhp
AG
This stuff is never going to stop. It's a game that can't be won.
aggiejim70
AG
Southlake said:

Aggieband used to play Dixie then shift into The Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Not anymore.
A little history on this. In the 60's the FTAB played an arrangement of American Trilogy which included the two songs mentioned and one more that I don't recall. Elvis Presley had a major hit with it. My junior or senior year we're getting ready to go play at a basketball game, and Col. Adams gets a call from a dean or somebody in authority on the phone in the drum room, the only one in Happy Happy Herrington except the one on Colonel's office, asking him that we not play the song. That was that and it went out of the inventory. Now, I think the FTAB started playing Dixie again years later, but younger BQ's will have to weigh in on that.

And, this begs the question, will the cancel culture get around to attacking Elvis Presley and demand all his music be banned from audio and video play?
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Do I think the Aggie Band should still be able to play it?
For a while, it was taken out, and replaced by Bonnie Blue Flag.

Yep, a song about a southerner longing for home, was replaced by a secessionist anthem.

And nobody gave a damn, because people are ignorant sheep who don't know history.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Now, I think the FTAB started playing Dixie again years later, but younger BQ's will have to weigh in on that.
Dixie was in the medley in about 1973 to 1975, when someone complained, and Bonnie Blue Flag took its place, which cracks me up.
RAB87
AG
Certainly not racist.
Slim Isle
Heritage Not Hate
BostonAg74
Not completely unrelated, but I thought I would post this here, just because I like it, because Southern songs are all about context.

B-1 83
AG
I'll bet fish and pissheads* don't even stand in their chairs and sing Dixie on steak night in Duncan anymore

* Maybe half a dozen outfits did this, including mine
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Al Bula
AG
I will say that it was eerie when the bar in Oxford (I think it was The Library) stopped everything and begin playing the Elvis version of Dixie. All those redneck Ole Piss imports (lots being dumb rich texas kids) stopped what they were drinking and doing and being swaying with raised arms in time with the song.

It helps to see how other schools students act in their own traditional rituals. Then it becomes easy to see why outsiders hate a&m. Sorry for the weird tangent.
Aggie Infantry
AG
The trilogy was Dixie, BHR, and Yellow Rose of Texas - if I recall correctly.

Dixie is not racists.
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
wbt5845
AG
A song cannot be racist.

By definition, only people are racist.
Southlake
Damn I love song. It never occurred there was an issue.

Sad to think we'll never hear the Aggie Band play it again.

Come to think of it, Is The Yellow Rose of Texas cancelled too?
Sticks&Stones
AG

Do I think it's racist? - no

Do I think that some people try to find racist undertones in everything? - yes

Do I give a ***t what they consider racist? - no
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.