Let's Talk About Hiccups

2,690 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by pbrancazio
Post removed:
by user
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i have not had the hiccups in more than a decade....

now you have made me jealous.
Ag81Golf
Your Thai food was poisoned. The only cure is to have a Thai woman suck the poison out of you. Good luck!
The Fife
Haven't had them since I was in undergrad. Not sure if I'm missing out on something here.
Lex
You get hiccups when you dont wipe your butt properly/enough.

Nastyass.
tamuangry
Consult a doctor
MooreTrucker
AG
Eat a teaspoon of sugar or honey, or a marshmallow. Eat them rapidly with little chewing. Somehow it releases the trigger on your diaphragm that causes the hiccups.

Or something like that.
bodaciousbood14
AG
Take a deep breath, hold it, swallow twice, and slowly exhale.
Slicer97
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Eat a teaspoon of sugar or honey, or a marshmallow. Eat them rapidly with little chewing. Somehow it releases the trigger on your diaphragm that causes the hiccups.

Or something like that.

Shot or two of pancake syrup usually does the trick.
HossAg
AG
I just hold my breath and they go away.
MROD92
Use Gripe
ag88man
AG
I haven't hiccuped more than once since I was a kid. I watched a show that explained that they are caused by contractions of your diaphragm. I guess maybe to make sure you are still breathing as a baby or something. All the "cures" seemed to be about controlling your breath somehow. I calmed my self, swallowed some spit, and thought about calming that muscle. Now, I must do it unconciously. Weird.
aTm2004
AG
I get them from time-to-time, and since 2016, I get worried every time. In 2016, I got the hiccups and they didn't go away. After 2 days, I was hurting and miserable (couldn't sleep, chest was hurting, etc) so I decided to go to the doctor to see if there was anything they could do. My doc told me the best drug to stop them was an anti-psychotic, so he gave me a week's supply and said people either get really crazy on them or they have no impact, so he told me to take a few days off. Luckily, I didn't have any effects from it other than the hiccups going away.
TX AG 88
AG
Used to get hiccups and they would persist until it became painful.

Finally was diagnosed with acid reflux. Daily Nexium controls the acid and burning reflux, and also has the side effect of nearly eliminating my chronic hiccups. After the fact, I realized the hiccups were associated with the reflux.
spicyitalian
AG
I tell people to hold your breath and count to a million.

I got them for three days straight a few years ago. Turns out it was prednisone that caused it. Rare random side effect. I quit midway through the dose and they went away. Most miserable few days of my life.
Drawkcab
I actually like the hiccups. Kind of a funny tickle feeling. Guess I'd feel different if they lasted a long time.
TexDill15
AG
I get hiccups on occasion that last for 3 days at a time. Usually have to take a shot of vinegar until they go away.
BlueAg2003
AG
I hate getting them and then all of a sudden they go away and you feel weird for not having them anymore.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Drink water upside down.

Also, a shot of bourbon never hurt anyone
Bruce Almighty
AG
I only get 3-4 times a year and they usually only last a few minutes.
Hwy30East
I had a bad case of the hiccups one night when I was at a bar with a bunch of people. I was trying to order a drink and the hiccups were making it difficult. The bartender grabbed a shot glass and filled it with Worcestershire sauce and said take this. I Drank the shot and the hiccups disappeared.
Post removed:
by user
lotsofhp
AG
My family drinks pickle juice when we get them and it works for me every time.

Every. Time.

But I've never of heard anyone else doing this. Have you guys ever heard this home remedy?
JABQ04
AG
Drink some beer
When my son was about 4 years old, he had the hiccups, I popped him in the stomach with the back of my hand, the shock scared him and they went away. From then until this day, he is 23 now, if he has the hiccups, all I have to do is threaten to pop him in the stomach and they immediately go away. Has even worked over the phone.

Sometimes childhood trauma can result in a good thing.
Gilligan
AG
Ham and white rice give me the hiccups. Not together...

If I am going to eat either I know that I have to have water with me to eat it.

NBD
62strat
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I only get it 3-4 times a year and i usually only last a few minutes.
GeorgeBailey
AG
Jalapeno peppers or other really hot peppers trigger hiccups for me.
Lex
I'm very distraught about you all and your hiccups.
hgc159
Try Gorilla Glue. It fixes everything from hair to hiccups.
Post removed:
by user
Jack Cheese
AG
I HATE hiccups. Just reading this thread gives me the sweats that I'll start hiccuping.
pbrancazio
AG
Spoon of Angostura Bitters......gone
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.